Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Rampage 6 Extreme, Problems with PC Need help diagnosing cause

    Hi, I'm new to this forum as well as PC building compared to a lot of people on here so I thought I would try get some help with problems on a new PC I've built.
    PC Specs:
    Intel i9 7980XE
    Asus Rampage 6 Extreme
    64GB 4x16 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum Quad Channel 2400MHz 14-16-16-31 1.2v
    2x EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Elite (In SLI) with a ROG HB SLI Bridge
    512GB Samsung NVME M.2 SSD for my OS Windows 10
    1TB Samsung 850 PRO SSD
    NZXT Kraken X62 AIO CPU Cooler
    EVGA SuperNova 1600W T2 PSU
    Cooler Master H500P Case ( Wish I got a different case but it fits/works I guess)

    When I first built my PC outside of the case using the Ram/CPU/Cooler/PSU/ and both graphics card. Even In the BIOS (Version 0802) it would freeze constantly. After messing around I took out the second graphics card and then things began to work enough to get Windows 10 running as well as some drivers, after a while it started freezing again. at this point I thought the motherboard may have been damaged as one of the fan connectors had an out of place pin, so I went back to the retailers and got it replaced with a new one.

    Second time building the PC it was still freezing constantly, even within the BIOS with the new motherboard. So now I used Memtest86 to test my RAM individually in the first slot, Each one worked so I then began adding the RAM back into their places one by one and testing them as I went. As soon as I got to adding my last 2 RAM sticks into the right side of the motherboard the PC began freezing again.

    I removed these 2 sticks again and was able to use my PC fine. At this point I'm sure it must have been my RAM but just to make sure I wasn't missing anything I updated all my drivers once more including BIOS to 1004. I also used the Intel CPU Diagnostic tool which passed every time.
    I then added my other 2 RAM sticks back in and everything managed to work. At this point I then activated my XMP profile to get my memory working at 2400MHz
    I instantly started to see my PC wasn't working as well and when I used the Intel CPU Diagnostic tool for the send time I got a BSOD for WHEA UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

    So I removed my XMP profile and did the same diagnostic again with all 4 RAM sticks running at stock, this time it passed a few times but would freeze for a few seconds at some tests before then starting failing at the Floating Point test constantly after a for loops of the test.

    Giving up for the night I went to shut down the PC and received a BSOD for INVALID IO BOOST_STATE, I'm now at a stage where I have reinstalled Windows with the latest drivers just to make sure everything was fresh this time, but I have yet to try enabling my XMP again but I feel it will still be broken. Also my PC feels like it's running a lot slower then what it should given the specs as well as freezing for a few seconds every so often while in use.

    Lastly I have also noticed that when turning on my PC only one graphics card lights up until I'm in windows before the other lights up, as well as in the BIOS my top slot card is named as the second, and second named at the first, and The fans don't spin at all until I make them spin with EVGA Precision, I know they're meant to spin at a certain heat level but my cards have been burning to the touch at points when the fans still haven't spun so I'm not sure whats going on

    I have read some issues with this Motherboard causing freezing but I also feel like either my RAM or CPU is defective, this is where I need help as I don't know what could be broken out of my hardware, or how to fix it and make this brand new PC run at the speed it should be.

    Thanks
    Last edited by TekoMine; 01-04-2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Forgot something

  2. #2
    New ROGer Array Skunkfoo PC Specs
    Skunkfoo PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
    Processori9 7940x
    Memory (part number)64 GB G.Skill 3733 RGB
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Monitor3x ASUS PG278QR
    CPU CoolerEK Monoblock
    CaseThermaltake Tower 900 Snow
    Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower iRGB Plus 1250W
    Keyboard ASUS ROG Claymore
    Mouse ASUS ROG Galdius II
    Headset Apple Airpods
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterASUS ROG

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    74

    Quote Originally Posted by TekoMine View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this forum as well as PC building compared to a lot of people on here so I thought I would try get some help with problems on a new PC I've built.
    PC Specs:
    Intel i9 7980XE
    Asus Rampage 6 Extreme
    64GB 4x16 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum Quad Channel 2400MHz 14-16-16-31 1.2v
    2x EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Elite (In SLI) with a ROG HB SLI Bridge
    512GB Samsung NVME M.2 SSD for my OS Windows 10
    1TB Samsung 850 PRO SSD
    NZXT Kraken X62 AIO CPU Cooler
    EVGA SuperNova 1600W T2 PSU
    Cooler Master H500P Case ( Wish I got a different case but it fits/works I guess)

    When I first built my PC outside of the case using the Ram/CPU/Cooler/PSU/ and both graphics card. Even In the BIOS (Version 0802) it would freeze constantly. After messing around I took out the second graphics card and then things began to work enough to get Windows 10 running as well as some drivers, after a while it started freezing again. at this point I thought the motherboard may have been damaged as one of the fan connectors had an out of place pin, so I went back to the retailers and got it replaced with a new one.

    Second time building the PC it was still freezing constantly, even within the BIOS with the new motherboard. So now I used Memtest86 to test my RAM individually in the first slot, Each one worked so I then began adding the RAM back into their places one by one and testing them as I went. As soon as I got to adding my last 2 RAM sticks into the right side of the motherboard the PC began freezing again.

    I removed these 2 sticks again and was able to use my PC fine. At this point I'm sure it must have been my RAM but just to make sure I wasn't missing anything I updated all my drivers once more including BIOS to 1004. I also used the Intel CPU Diagnostic tool which passed every time.
    I then added my other 2 RAM sticks back in and everything managed to work. At this point I then activated my XMP profile to get my memory working at 2400MHz
    I instantly started to see my PC wasn't working as well and when I used the Intel CPU Diagnostic tool for the send time I got a BSOD for WHEA UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

    So I removed my XMP profile and did the same diagnostic again with all 4 RAM sticks running at stock, this time it passed a few times but would freeze for a few seconds at some tests before then starting failing at the Floating Point test constantly after a for loops of the test.

    Giving up for the night I went to shut down the PC and received a BSOD for INVALID IO BOOST_STATE, I'm now at a stage where I have reinstalled Windows with the latest drivers just to make sure everything was fresh this time, but I have yet to try enabling my XMP again but I feel it will still be broken. Also my PC feels like it's running a lot slower then what it should given the specs as well as freezing for a few seconds every so often while in use.

    Lastly I have also noticed that when turning on my PC only one graphics card lights up until I'm in windows before the other lights up, as well as in the BIOS my top slot card is named as the second, and second named at the first, and The fans don't spin at all until I make them spin with EVGA Precision, I know they're meant to spin at a certain heat level but my cards have been burning to the touch at points when the fans still haven't spun so I'm not sure whats going on

    I have read some issues with this Motherboard causing freezing but I also feel like either my RAM or CPU is defective, this is where I need help as I don't know what could be broken out of my hardware, or how to fix it and make this brand new PC run at the speed it should be.

    Thanks

    With both graphics cards installed, Does the BIOS report 2 graphics cards installed? Use the GPU post function to see.

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkfoo View Post
    With both graphics cards installed, Does the BIOS report 2 graphics cards installed? Use the GPU post function to see.
    Yeah it says both are installed but the top slot is numbered as the second card instead of first visa versa, and SLI is set up once I'm in windows

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array Darren Stevens PC Specs
    Darren Stevens PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    Graphics Card #2ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    MonitorASUS PG348Q ROG Swift 34in 100Hz G-Sync IPS Gaming Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    CPU CoolerEK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock - Nickel
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i Digital ATX Modular
    Keyboard ASUS ROG GK2000 Horus RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse ASUS ROG Spatha Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse
    Headset ASUS ROG Cerberus Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath Gaming Surface
    Headset/Speakers ASUS ROG Centurion True 7.1 Gaming Headset
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit UEFI Install
    Network RouterASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless Triband Router
    Accessory #1 Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Accessory #2 ASUS ROG SLI HB Bridge - 4 Slot
    Darren Stevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    109

    BIOS 0804 does have freezing issues, use BIOS 1004, Do you have your Windows 10 installed in UEFI or Legacy ? (msinfo32 to check), do you have CSM disabled in BIOS under boot menu ?, is your NVME drive with your OS on it installed in M.2_(SOCKET3) ? Is your RAM kit one single kit & do u have them installed in the right DIMM slots (all the grey slots)?,
    *
    I would recommend, you already have BIOS 1004 flashed, download Win 10 from Microsoft site using the media creation tool, remove all drives except for the M.2 installed in M.2 SOCKET 3, with the computer off install you USB with windows 10 on it (the one you downloaded), turn computer on & mash the delete key to get to bios, do not let the windows auto install run, hit F5 then enter to load optimised defaults & make sure XMP is off, in BIOS under boot tab scroll down & click on CSM & disable it, go back to boot menu & under boot override click on the UEFI disk & let the win 10 install, when u get to the drive section delete all (if it has a previous install) & create new then hit next, when Win 10 is installed, install your board drivers then let windows, nvidia ect do it’s updates & when all that is done download the latest GPU drivers, go custom install & perform a clean install of them then go to nvidia controll panel & activate SLi (if it’s not already), just some suggestions.
    Last edited by Darren Stevens; 01-06-2018 at 07:12 PM.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Stevens View Post
    BIOS 0804 does have freezing issues, use BIOS 1004, Do you have your Windows 10 installed in UEFI or Legacy ? (msinfo32 to check), do you have CSM disabled in BIOS under boot menu ?, is your NVME drive with your OS on it installed in M.2_(SOCKET3) ? Is your RAM kit one single kit & do u have them installed in the right DIMM slots (all the grey slots)?,
    *
    I would recommend, you already have BIOS 1004 flashed, download Win 10 from Microsoft site using the media creation tool, remove all drives except for the M.2 installed in M.2 SOCKET 3, with the computer off install you USB with windows 10 on it (the one you downloaded), turn computer on & mash the delete key to get to bios, do not let the windows auto install run, hit F5 then enter to load optimised defaults & make sure XMP is off, in BIOS under boot tab scroll down & click on CSM & disable it, go back to boot menu & under boot override click on the UEFI disk & let the win 10 install, when u get to the drive section delete all (if it has a previous install) & create new then hit next, when Win 10 is installed, install your board drivers then let windows, nvidia ect do it’s updates & when all that is done download the latest GPU drivers, go custom install & perform a clean install of them then go to nvidia controll panel & activate SLi (if it’s not already), just some suggestions.
    Hi, I previously said that I had updated to 1004 but still ran into some issues such as freezes that now last a few seconds before resuming normal function, and I've had some blue screens especially when I've attempted to use my 2400 XMP profile and then use the Intel Diagnostic test, and the PC in general feels like it's running slower than what I expected it to be, even web pages load slower on this PC than my old PC, it feels like my old PC actually runs smoother then this one haha. And load from boot takes about the same time even though my new PC has M.2 which my old one doesn't, I've set the boot delay to one second and as far as I know all my other settings are fine so I don't know the problem.

    My Windows 10 is installed in UEFI, and I have CSM on auto. The M.2 drive I have installed on in the on-board sections under the protective 'Armor', and my Ram is a one set of 4 x 16GB = 64GB quad channel sticks and they are installed in the grey slots as I read they should within the manual.

    I reinstalled windows after I updated to 1004 back when I first wrote the post, so should I reinstall again? or would I be able to go into bios now and still disable CSM ? and I also uninstalled the GPU drivers windows installed before I installed the latest ones from the website too and activated SLI, but the problems still persist of occasional temporary freezes etc

    Also I would really like to remove IBTM because it keeps popping up on boot, but it wont stay gone when I uninstall it and I can't find and decent clear answers on how to cleanly remove it for good (:
    Last edited by TekoMine; 01-06-2018 at 04:18 AM.

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array Darren Stevens PC Specs
    Darren Stevens PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    Graphics Card #2ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    MonitorASUS PG348Q ROG Swift 34in 100Hz G-Sync IPS Gaming Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    CPU CoolerEK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock - Nickel
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i Digital ATX Modular
    Keyboard ASUS ROG GK2000 Horus RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse ASUS ROG Spatha Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse
    Headset ASUS ROG Cerberus Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath Gaming Surface
    Headset/Speakers ASUS ROG Centurion True 7.1 Gaming Headset
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit UEFI Install
    Network RouterASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless Triband Router
    Accessory #1 Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Accessory #2 ASUS ROG SLI HB Bridge - 4 Slot
    Darren Stevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    109

    Quote Originally Posted by TekoMine View Post
    Hi, I previously said that I had updated to 1004 but still ran into some issues such as freezes that now last a few seconds before resuming normal function, and I've had some blue screens especially when I've attempted to use my 2400 XMP profile and then use the Intel Diagnostic test, and the PC in general feels like it's running slower than what I expected it to be, even web pages load slower on this PC than my old PC, it feels like my old PC actually runs smoother then this one haha. And load from boot takes about the same time even though my new PC has M.2 which my old one doesn't, I've set the boot delay to one second and as far as I know all my other settings are fine so I don't know the problem.

    My Windows 10 is installed in UEFI, and I have CSM on auto. The M.2 drive I have installed on in the on-board sections under the protective 'Armor', and my Ram is a one set of 4 x 16GB = 64GB quad channel sticks and they are installed in the grey slots as I read they should within the manual.

    I reinstalled windows after I updated to 1004 back when I first wrote the post, so should I reinstall again? or would I be able to go into bios now and still disable CSM ? and I also uninstalled the GPU drivers windows installed before I installed the latest ones from the website too and activated SLI, but the problems still persist of occasional temporary freezes etc

    Also I would really like to remove IBTM because it keeps popping up on boot, but it wont stay gone when I uninstall it and I can't find and decent clear answers on how to cleanly remove it for good (:
    yes you can turn CSM off definitely worth a try it might help, sounds like a memory issue, does it freeze or blue screen with 32G of memory? If your OS is installed in UEFI a reinstall should not be required. ** also in windows turn off fast start up.

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Stevens View Post
    yes you can turn CSM off definitely worth a try it might help, sounds like a memory issue, does it freeze or blue screen with 32G of memory? If your OS is installed in UEFI a reinstall should not be required. ** also in windows turn off fast start up.
    It seemed to completely fine when I was using 2 sticks, It's how I even managed to use my PC long enough to update the BIOS Etc.. before that trying to use all 4 sticks was impossible as it made the PC freeze in the first few second of boot, or as soon as I entered the BIOS so it was impossible to do anything.

    After I changed BIOS to 1004 I could use all 4 sticks but it would bluescreen and freeze until I reinstalled windows now it just freezes every so often for a few seconds before resuming function and I couldn't use my 2400 XMP profile, and sometimes my mouse just stops working and I have to take it out and put it back in to get it working again.

    Turning the CSM and Windows Fast boot off has helped, the boot time seems quite a bit faster now.
    Last edited by TekoMine; 01-06-2018 at 04:18 PM.

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array Darren Stevens PC Specs
    Darren Stevens PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    Graphics Card #2ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    MonitorASUS PG348Q ROG Swift 34in 100Hz G-Sync IPS Gaming Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    CPU CoolerEK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock - Nickel
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i Digital ATX Modular
    Keyboard ASUS ROG GK2000 Horus RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse ASUS ROG Spatha Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse
    Headset ASUS ROG Cerberus Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath Gaming Surface
    Headset/Speakers ASUS ROG Centurion True 7.1 Gaming Headset
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit UEFI Install
    Network RouterASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless Triband Router
    Accessory #1 Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Accessory #2 ASUS ROG SLI HB Bridge - 4 Slot
    Darren Stevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    109

    Is it still freezing & blue screening ?

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Stevens View Post
    Is it still freezing & blue screening ?
    Since I reinstalled windows etc, I haven't had a blue-screen, and I think that I've had one or two weird crashes/freezes which I've needed to restart with but most of the freezing now is occasional freezing throughout the day that lasts a few seconds before going back to normal again

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array Darren Stevens PC Specs
    Darren Stevens PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    Graphics Card #2ASUS ROG Poseidon GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Platinum 11GB
    MonitorASUS PG348Q ROG Swift 34in 100Hz G-Sync IPS Gaming Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    CPU CoolerEK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock - Nickel
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i Digital ATX Modular
    Keyboard ASUS ROG GK2000 Horus RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse ASUS ROG Spatha Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse
    Headset ASUS ROG Cerberus Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath Gaming Surface
    Headset/Speakers ASUS ROG Centurion True 7.1 Gaming Headset
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit UEFI Install
    Network RouterASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless Triband Router
    Accessory #1 Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD
    Accessory #2 ASUS ROG SLI HB Bridge - 4 Slot
    Darren Stevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    109

    Ok, the odd cold boot is a must as well, good luck with it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •