cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 1080 STRIX Power white led dead

Dr_Manhattan
Level 7
Hi,

One of my GTX 1080 STRIX has a dead white led in the Power plug.
As I purchased both cards on Amazon and I live in Brazil I'm thiking twice to open an RMA and replace (due to the need to send the board to USA and get returned from Asus to USA (when I need to send to Brazil again)

Is anyone aware what is the partnumber/model of this LED? Where I can purchase?
Is possible to request ASUS to just send the new LED and I do the replacement locally?

I know this is just a stetically feature, but I just want to keep both cards looking equaly. :cool:

If there is anyone from ASUS here, what is the best approach?
I have scheduled a travel to USA in the end of this month for 1 week (It's possible to do all the RMA process in 1 week?)
1 REPLY 1

Marcello_S
Level 7
Hi Dr_Manhattan. You could just contact Amazon and make them send you a replacement for the unit. I'm sure that you are still right in time to perform this procedure.
As for the led replacement itself I higly suggect you to avoid any kind of DIY repair, mainly because they are not purchasable from the manufacturer first, second you will need a damn good skill with microsoldering (and GPUs nowadays are entirely made by robots with high precision micro soldering techniques).
So far I never heard of any succesful repairing of micro smt components on GPUs. You could try to oven the card so that the heat will reseat the solder around the LED so that the contact point could be restored but it's a thing to do at entirely your risk and I won't take any responsability for that.

I don't know what you mean with RMA process within a week. Are you going to go to an Asus store in America and perform the RMA once there? Even if so I doubt they will do in just one week because:
- once accepted your GPU (which at this first place I doubt they will since your GPU is functioning I guess) they will send it to a specialized Asus Repair Center;
- they will check your card and I doubt they could replace the white led even for the mentioned reason I told you above;
- once the work is done they will send the card back to the Asus store in which you requested the RMA procedure;
Overall the time span will be about a month more or less.

I hope I was of any help to you.

Best Regards