cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Update Chipset

ApolloX
Level 7
Just updated my BIOS to 0902 on my Asus Zenith Extreme. Saw there was a new version of the chipset driver 17.40, but received the following error trying to install it:

"OS is booted onto the NvMe volume and upgrading the driver will make the drive unbootable, so aborting the installation.please load OS on Non-NvMe drive and continue with driver installation."

My OS is running from NvMe but its not in raid mode. How the hell am I supposed to install a different OS in order to install a driver? This has to be stupidest message I've ever seen. Go AMD.
8 REPLIES 8

JpArizona
Level 7
ApolloX wrote:

I tried to install it and it said

I dont have any amd graphic cards or anything amd except teh cpu

EDIT:

I was able to install it

theirs a subdirectory in that extracted folder under the same name "AMD_ChipsetDriver_Win10_64bit_V9.0.000.8_20180103" run the asus installer from their and it worked.

Not the same error I got, so your entire post is useless for me.

JustinThyme
Level 13
You dont want to update chipset drivers on an existing install. It throws things out of wack horrendously if you are actually successful as everything else feeds off of the chipset. If you really want to update them and feel the need it should be done as the OS is being installed, very first driver to be loaded followed ny MEI then every thing else.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Appreciate the thought, but I've updated chipset drivers tons of times on various different platforms. No one seems to be addressing the elephant in the room.. the message specifically says NvMe users are screwed here. How do you load an OS on a different drive, then install the driver on the NvMe, makes no sense.

Given bugs like Spectre and AMD SPS, it basically means I can't get fixes for them, as well as any stability releases.

ApolloX wrote:
Appreciate the thought, but I've updated chipset drivers tons of times on various different platforms. No one seems to be addressing the elephant in the room.. the message specifically says NvMe users are screwed here. How do you load an OS on a different drive, then install the driver on the NvMe, makes no sense.

Given bugs like Spectre and AMD SPS, it basically means I can't get fixes for them, as well as any stability releases.

I have the 960pro NVME that my os is installed and I didnt have a problem installing it, mind you I didnt have the same warning as you but installing it regardless of the warning I didnt encounter any hiccups in my booting or anything.

I have two 960 Pros, one on the board (boot), and one on the DIMM.2 card. My Device Manager looks like yours except with a second set of entries for the other card. Still not able to install though.

Solved my issue by uninstalling all AMD drivers, running the AMD cleaner, then re-installing the AMD drivers. Not sure why the upgrade path failed, but at least I didn't have to reinstall windows.

ApolloX wrote:
I have two 960 Pros, one on the board (boot), and one on the DIMM.2 card. My Device Manager looks like yours except with a second set of entries for the other card. Still not able to install though.

ApolloX wrote:
Solved my issue by uninstalling all AMD drivers, running the AMD cleaner, then re-installing the AMD drivers. Not sure why the upgrade path failed, but at least I didn't have to reinstall windows.

great to hear, glad you got it solved. I do gotta say I am happy with my purchase with the thread ripper and zenith x399 motherboard but damn its been a real pain getting it to run right.