cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing computer if left overnight.

andy_lamp
Level 7
Hello,

My computer freezes if left overnight; it's actually really weird. Before moving the mouse to light up the screens the computer is working but once mouse moves and screens turn on again -- bam freezes. The system passes all of the usual benchmarks running for a long time (10h+). I am not overclocking or anything -- just having my memory set to their DCOP settings (and memory was picked based on QVL list). The only culprit is that I get very often "ACPI 15" related errors/warnings in the event viewer prompting for a BIOS upgrade just before freezing happens -- currently am running on 902 but this issue was present on all BIOSes that this board had so far. Of course I checked my windows installation for corruption using "sfc /scannow" but it's okay.

Sample error message:
The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

ACPI

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Sample warning:

: The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

Finally, I am not willing to put the time or effort or electricity costs in addressing these issues; this board has been a nightmare and I cannot leave my virtual machines open as I risk corrupting them with this CPU behavior; ASUS needs to get its **** together and fix the myriad of issues this board has as they are charging 500+ euros for this.
8 REPLIES 8

gupsterg
Level 13
Usually if my PC is left on overnight it's under load, but recently one night forgot to switch it off after a test. RealBench (screenie link) had been ran prior to idling period of ~8hrs.

The ACPI 15 event with the message you have posted is harmless, link. I have experienced it on M7R, C6H and ZE.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

thanks for the reply -- but I am not willing to debug my stuff for them; it costs both time and money. I bought an expensive product and all of my components were supposed to be working well together...my RAM was even picked from QVL; additionally, am not using any fancy NVMe raid or anything like that... if I leave my computer overnight or a day idling it freezes for no apparent reason (temps etc everything looks fine). This is kind of unacceptable when buying hardware this expensive...

If it doesn't freeze it will run all the fans at 100%

this board is full of fun bugs .. I would open a support ticket with asus and just copy and paste this form

its been 4 months and the only real thing they attempted to fix was memory everything else hasn't really had an effect

jpmboy
Level 9
Board freezing after an extended idle period (and all sleep states disabled) may be related to Windows 10 1709 PCIE and USB power management. On windows desktop make a folder, name it "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" without the quotations, you have access to pretty much every setting you can change in Windows on your PC. scroll down to power, the n change the advanced power settings : disable USB selective suspend, pcie link power state to "off".
If the problem continues, in device manager, you need to open each USB hub controller and and every where there is a power management tab, uncheck the box to disable USB sleep.
Worth a try, the "freeze" issue is not unique to this platform.

lastly, if the PC is just idling all night, either switch it off or sleep/hibernate the thing. 🙂

jpmboy wrote:
Board freezing after an extended idle period (and all sleep states disabled) may be related to Windows 10 1709 PCIE and USB power management. On windows desktop make a folder, name it "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" without the quotations, you have access to pretty much every setting you can change in Windows on your PC. scroll down to power, the n change the advanced power settings : disable USB selective suspend, pcie link power state to "off".
If the problem continues, in device manager, you need to open each USB hub controller and and every where there is a power management tab, uncheck the box to disable USB sleep.
Worth a try, the "freeze" issue is not unique to this platform.

lastly, if the PC is just idling all night, either switch it off or sleep/hibernate the thing. 🙂

I tried that the first week (4 months ago). Didn't change anything

I do renders and process stuff then go to work in the morning then when I come back my computer is possessed - it only takes 4 to 5 hours for weirdness to start

jpmboy
Level 9
lol - sounds like an exorcism is in order. :0

uhm -- sorry, this is not correct; I used to have an Intel Core i7 3930k with a Rampage IV Extreme and it was rock solid. And all of my other PC's are fine, including an AMD Ryzen 1800x (but that has an MSI board). When I pay that much for a product I expect it to work as advertised and not being constantly on forums whining about how bad the BIOS is (the hardware itself it quite nice though).

GeekhomeGamer
Level 7
One of possible cause is the LLC settings on bios.

if you have set it to level 3 .. try level 4...

windows event system is not the best way to throubleshooting this problems.

andy_lamp wrote:
Hello,

My computer freezes if left overnight; it's actually really weird. Before moving the mouse to light up the screens the computer is working but once mouse moves and screens turn on again -- bam freezes. The system passes all of the usual benchmarks running for a long time (10h+). I am not overclocking or anything -- just having my memory set to their DCOP settings (and memory was picked based on QVL list). The only culprit is that I get very often "ACPI 15" related errors/warnings in the event viewer prompting for a BIOS upgrade just before freezing happens -- currently am running on 902 but this issue was present on all BIOSes that this board had so far. Of course I checked my windows installation for corruption using "sfc /scannow" but it's okay.

Sample error message:

Sample warning:

Finally, I am not willing to put the time or effort or electricity costs in addressing these issues; this board has been a nightmare and I cannot leave my virtual machines open as I risk corrupting them with this CPU behavior; ASUS needs to get its **** together and fix the myriad of issues this board has as they are charging 500+ euros for this.