CaseCorsair Carbide 300R
    Power SupplyEVGA 850 Modular
    Mouse Swiftpoint The Z
    Headset Logitech G240
    Mouse Pad Swiftpoint The Z Mouse Pad
    Headset/Speakers 5.1 Logitech Surround Z506
    OS Windows 10 Pro, version 1703
    Network RouterAsus RT N66U

No 5.1 for headphones when splitting audio streams?

I have 5.1 external speakers which are plugged into the rear jacks, and Sennheiser HD 598's plugged to the case front jacks.

With realtek playback settings checked to mute internal output device when external headphones are plugged in, I can select 5.1 for my headphones. Works normal. Now anytime I switch back to the external, I unplug the headphones and all works as it should.

I want to stop having to plug/unplug the headphones it, so I checked the other option in realtek to make internal and external playback two audio streams.

Now looking in the settings, the external speakers can do 5.1 surround sound as normal, but the headphones are limited to stereo, and will not give any options or indication of 5.1

Is this just a limitation of realtek/SupremeFX? How can I get 5.1 on the headphones while maintaining 2 audio streams so I can just swap back and forth without having to unplug/plug headphones in?

Thanks!!!

ROG Member Array

I previously ran into this on my Maximus VI Hero. Apparently not too many people try this. It isn't a SupremeFX limitation but a Windows limitation. When you have 5.1 on headphones it uses software simulation. When using multiple audio streams it will know the external room speakers are capable of actual true 5.1 surround but headphones aren't, they can only simulate. Windows programmers say one or the other in that scenario. It is the same way on my Crosshair VI Hero (AM4 X370). Totally different chipset, different audio codec, same OS. I contacted Asus and this is what they told me. I contacted Microsoft and they told me the same.