cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 5.1 for headphones when splitting audio streams?

Vinny1001
Level 9
I have 5.1 external speakers which are plugged into the rear jacks, and Sennheiser HD 598's plugged to the case front jacks.

With realtek playback settings checked to mute internal output device when external headphones are plugged in, I can select 5.1 for my headphones. Works normal. Now anytime I switch back to the external, I unplug the headphones and all works as it should.

I want to stop having to plug/unplug the headphones it, so I checked the other option in realtek to make internal and external playback two audio streams.

Now looking in the settings, the external speakers can do 5.1 surround sound as normal, but the headphones are limited to stereo, and will not give any options or indication of 5.1

Is this just a limitation of realtek/SupremeFX? How can I get 5.1 on the headphones while maintaining 2 audio streams so I can just swap back and forth without having to unplug/plug headphones in?

Thanks!!!
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.
2 REPLIES 2

campb292
Level 7
I previously ran into this on my Maximus VI Hero. Apparently not too many people try this. It isn't a SupremeFX limitation but a Windows limitation. When you have 5.1 on headphones it uses software simulation. When using multiple audio streams it will know the external room speakers are capable of actual true 5.1 surround but headphones aren't, they can only simulate. Windows programmers say one or the other in that scenario. It is the same way on my Crosshair VI Hero (AM4 X370). Totally different chipset, different audio codec, same OS. I contacted Asus and this is what they told me. I contacted Microsoft and they told me the same.

ezeht
Level 7
I do not know if will help but.. W10 changes my drivers when it feels like it and I have to disconnect from the net delete and reinstall my drivers how I like them and W10 will change my windows sound defaults and I game and record a lot.. W10 will turn on all sorts of junk in playback devices and I have to turn it all off/ disable other than analog/ or speakers and make sure its set for number of speakers I have and I have to check recording devices and turn back on stereo mix or my sound might not record at all in my videos much less the mic if I am using it- w10 turns off stereo mix and does what ever it wants when it wants.. You need stay on top of and check it all the time and surely after w10 updates.. Also if using w10 you have your sonic studio you can access from your desktop and task bar and also if type in to search ''control panel'' you have reltek audio manager and has more asus sound settings and another eq and room ef and other settings.. I just found those recently.. I did not know they was there and thought all was to it was from my desk top but oh no.. Asus does not carry you to all sound settings when open it and does not tell yah either.. Most people do not know w10 has a hidden control panel either..

Unless your headset has multi speakers in them and have the provided drivers or sound suite installed it only plays back in stereo- tho some sound devices might have surround up-mix or like my cloud 2's have an in-line dac card that can do 7.1.. If usb headset it might not use onboard or add in sound at all- reltek only works with the analog jacks I think they are called but not usb- and sonic suite tells yah when try to open it and if using usb head set it does not support the device- usb headsets use windows system sound and avoids your onboard or add in card if I understand right.. My headset is usb so I am not sure of the limits- but also if using a normal 2 speaker stereo headset with analog jacks or usb and your sound does not offer 5.1 or 7.1 you could download razer surround and can do 5.1 or 7.1 and is said a pretty nice program.. You only get true surround if have more than 2 speakers in the headset or its only sim. if offered at all.. You can use this with any headsets as best I know- it does not have to be a razer headset.. I think Plantronics has a sound suite you can use on any headset also but the razer one is most popular-->

https://www.razerzone.com/surround

Good luck..