cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UEFI Bios Boot Options

xenon2008
Level 7
Good Morning together!

I have bought a new Asus Maximus X Code Motherboard und flashed the latest Bios Version 1003!

Then i have enabled the Onboard SATA Controller, and disabled CSM Support, just as it says the User Manual, so that i could use the Onboard Controller for a RAID 1 Set for my Data! (not System!) - So far so good, everything works!

But how or where can i configure, so that i could Boot from my Tech-USB-Memory-Stick with various test tools like Memorytest,Harddisktest and other useful tech-tools? Becaue in the Bios Boot-Options and in the Bootmenu i only can select UEFI:KINGSTON..... and this will not WORK!

So i have two Questions to the new UEFI-Bios:

1.) How can i boot generally without UEFI, rather LEAGCY? - whether usb stick or hard disk or CD/DVD Disk?

2.) And is there a solution so that i can say, Boot always FIRST from CD/DVD - Disk, then this or this Harddrive?
Becaue when no CD/DVD-Disk is insert in my CD/DVD-Drive the CD/DVD-Drive WILL NOT shown in the Boot Order??

Because my old Hardware was soooo old, that this only could Legacy now and no UEFI! So UEFI is complete new for me :rolleyes:

Best Regards
8 REPLIES 8

R5Eandme
Level 12
xenon2008 wrote:
Good Morning together!

I have bought a new Asus Maximus X Code Motherboard und flashed the latest Bios Version 1003!

Then i have enabled the Onboard SATA Controller, and disabled CSM Support, just as it says the User Manual, so that i could use the Onboard Controller for a RAID 1 Set for my Data! (not System!) - So far so good, everything works!

But how or where can i configure, so that i could Boot from my Tech-USB-Memory-Stick with various test tools like Memorytest,Harddisktest and other useful tech-tools? Becaue in the Bios Boot-Options and in the Bootmenu i only can select UEFI:KINGSTON..... and this will not WORK!

So i have two Questions to the new UEFI-Bios:

1.) How can i boot generally without UEFI, rather LEAGCY? - whether usb stick or hard disk or CD/DVD Disk?

2.) And is there a solution so that i can say, Boot always FIRST from CD/DVD - Disk, then this or this Harddrive?
Becaue when no CD/DVD-Disk is insert in my CD/DVD-Drive the CD/DVD-Drive WILL NOT shown in the Boot Order??

Because my old Hardware was soooo old, that this only could Legacy now and no UEFI! So UEFI is complete new for me :rolleyes:

Best Regards

Hello Xenon2008. I have had the same questions as you and have posted what I learned:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96196-I-need-advice-on-CSM-and-Secure-Boot-settings

With CSM disabled: In order for any device (CD, DVD, USB stick) to be visible in the boot menu and be UEFI-bootable from the boot menu, it must contain an EFI folder with a bootx64.efi boot manager file or equivalent. A CD/DVD player must contain a disk with that directory and file. An empty DVD drive will not show up in a UEFI boot menu when CSM is disabled. It is possible that your Tech-USB-Memory-Stick may only boot in legacy mode with CSM enabled? If so, you could just enable CSM when you need to use this tool. If you will keep CSM disabled, you might try and make a UEFI bootable USB stick that contains the diagnostic tools you need. I have not done this but it might be possible to add the tools to a Windows Recovery USB, or a WinPE USB. With a disk inserted into the CD/DVD drive, or USB stick that contains the EFI/boot/bootx64.efi file, they will show up in the UEFI Bios boot menu and you can manually select which device you want to boot from .

Hello,

thank you for your fast answer!

My USB-Memory Stick could only boot in Legacy and not in UEFI because i use there Grub4dos...
And CSM MUST i have DISABLED because i need the Onboard Raid Controller.... 😞

So the only Solution is that i activate CSM temporarily when i want to start some Device in Legacy Mode? Is that right?

(Sry for my bad English, i am a German User ^^)

Best Regards

EDIT:
So i installed both new Windows 10 on my new System false 😕

Because in the User Manual it is written, when i need the Onboard Raidcontroller i have to set CSM to DISABLED!
*cryyyyying*

But i have tested it now, the Onboard Raid-Controller will works also, when CSM is set to Activated!!

Is UEFI boot better for Windows 10? or generally better then Legacy Boot and when yes why?

EDIT2:
And i have to Displays on my VGA-Card! (DVI-D my PC-Display and on HDMI my Samsung TV)
But since i have disabled CSM i only get Bios Picture on HDMI and not any more on DVI-D!
But when i activate CSM it will work?

Menthol
Level 14
New boards as you notice have less SATA ports because M.2 drives are getting less expensive and are faster than SATA drives in raid, the ideal setup would have an M.2 drive for OS then you could run raid on sata without issue, older boards sometimes had 2 different sata controllers making it easier for separate raid arrays
UEFI is much better, allows security of boot files, and boots a little faster, and is a requirement for nvme drives

Modern Graphic cards have a UEFI bios also and go through a post process similar to motherboards, it is normal to display bios screen on only one monitor, why it picks a different port depending on CSM I am not sure

OK, so i have NOT both Windows Installations false, because i have installed it in UEFI Mode =))))

But why choose my ASUS Strix GTX970 with enabled the DVI-I or de DVI-D as Primary Output for Bios and Bootprocess Post and with disabled CSM HDMI?
This must be a BIOS Entry or Configuration or not?

xenon2008 wrote:
OK, so i have NOT both Windows Installations false, because i have installed it in UEFI Mode =))))

But why choose my ASUS Strix GTX970 with enabled the DVI-I or de DVI-D as Primary Output for Bios and Bootprocess Post and with disabled CSM HDMI?
This must be a BIOS Entry or Configuration or not?

I agree with Menthol that it is better to use the modern UEFI boot method (with CSM disabled) because it has more safety features compared with Legacy boot. It sounds like when you installed Windows 10, it was in fact a UEFI installation? UEFI allows enabling Secure Boot, which makes the platform require signatures of the OS loader and certain Option Rom firmware for bootable devices. According to my understanding this prevents bootkit malware from infecting the boot loader files in the EFI partition, and it prevents rootkit malware from infecting the OS loader in the system partition. Those are among the nastiest of malware to get rid of (especially the bootkit). So it is best to install Windows under UEFI and (1) disable CSM, and (2) enable Secure Boot. You can tell if your Windows was installed with UEFI because the partition layout would look like the following with an EFI partition:

It is not too inconvenient to enable CSM just for the occasional need for legacy boot.

Menthol
Level 14
As for the GTX 970, It is probably just a quirk of the Video card/Monitor setup, I have seen the same thing on an AMD 290X, you could check ASUS support site to see if there is any updated bios, but odds are it wouldn't change anything

Good Morning!

Thanks to all for you very very fast Answer!

so I have done everything right, and both Windows 10 in UEF módus with disabled CSM installed! Only SecureBoot i have disabled, because I do not like to use it... :rolleyes:

OK and thanks for the tip with the Update for my Asus Strix GTX 970! I will check this todays Evening when i am back from work!

Could i ask some one litte question more please?

In an another Thread here in this Forum i read that on certain Asus VGA Cards there is an BIOS - Update Available and a tool with the name "GPUTweak"?
what do I have to use then from these two to update?

Thanks, and have a nice Day 😉

Best Regards
Xenon

Good Morning together!

Yesterday evening i updated my Asus Strix GTX970 to the latest Bios/Firmware. But no improvement. Since i have the new Motherboard Asus Maximus C Code where i disabled CSM Support the HDMI Port form my VGA-Card is the Primary Port for Bios & Boot-Screen.
But if i enable CSM, the VGA-Card will use DVI-I/DVI-D as Primary Port for the Bios & Boot-Screen.

Both Bios Versions (from Motherboard and VGA-Card) are updated to the newest Firmware.

Has somebody an idea? Or is there a workaround / solution?
I can't change tthis two Ports, because my SAMSUNG TV only has HDMI and my PC-Monitor also have only HDMI. So i use a Adapter from HDMI to DVI by my PC-Monitor, so that i can connect this to the DVI Port from my VGA-Card.
And on the HDMI-Port there is my SAMSUNG TV connected.

This is very annoying!