cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryzen 7 1700x CPU Temps & Speeds w/ Crosshair VI Hero (Wi-Fi AC)

jqpdev
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I'm working on finishing up my new Ryzen 1700x build and was wondering what CPU temps and speeds (low, medium, and highest) you guys were able to achieve? I'm using an AiO watercool solution. Right now I'm at 3700 Ghz. My temps in BIOS, with the case covers off, in open air with AiO going, is between 30C to 42C with room temperature between 71F and 74F. I'm downloading the BETA Ai Suite 3 to install on Windows 10.

Update:
I'm using BIOS version 1701.
12 REPLIES 12

unknownmiscrean
Level 8
I have my 1700x running at 4GHz, 1.42v with level 4 LLC. (I have tried the other levels and there is a fair amount of Vdroop.) With custom loop water cooling, it idles under 30C, games in the low 50s and tops out in the low 60s under full load.

With 3466Mhz, CL14 memory with tight sub timings, it gets 1800 in cinebench R15.

DO NOT install/use AI suite 3. It is a peice of ... Get ryzen master, Aida64, hardware info, CPU-Z. All are better alternatives, and you can set your fan curves in the BIOS. Its not much, but my system appeared to run 'better' after I got rid of AI Suite.

In terms of BIOS, I'm currently on 1701. I tried flashing to 3008 earlier this week, but my memory OC was not stable. I need to put sometime into tweaking things. Definitly try it though, as

jqpdev
Level 7
I have no idea what level 4 LLC is. I have the CPU set to default with 37x multiplier in BIOS thus razing the speed to 3700 Ghz. I recently switched the DRAM from default of 2400 to 3200 in BIOS since I purchased g.Skill 3200 Flare X ( http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gfx ). The timings are on default because I need to do some reading to get an understanding of the timing settings (much more fine grain compared to my older Asus Mobo UEFI timing settings).

The system booted with no issues, so while in Win 10 with the BETA Ai Suite 3 installed I bumped up the CPU to 40x (4000 Ghz). Again no problems. The PC has idled at 31C to 36C with the occasional jump to 41C - 43C (open air 70F, case covers off). Ai Suite 3 is showing 1.351 volts for CPU. My video card comes with Unigen Valley Benchmark software (DX11) and with it running at 4x anti-aliasing full screen windowed the CPU is only at 41C - 43C. I'll have to play some games and see what the temps are like. I'm hoping that once I close up the tower that the channeled flow of air will aid in cooling components and thus bring temps down a bit more. I would love to crank up the CPU to 4300 - 4400 Ghz, with correct tight memory timings, and run at 80% to full load at a steady 44C or lower temp.

Parts list
The prices are a bit higher than what I paid for and the parts list doesn't show the CPU/Mobo combo price which was cheaper than the sum of the two part prices.

I have CPU-Z that comes with mobo utilities. Where can I get ryzen master, Aida64, and hardware info?... are there equivalent applications available in the Linux space? It would be really great if Asus gave Linux the same level of support that they are giving Windows 10 (not a fan of that OS).

I plan on running Linux and maybe Windows 10 for gaming; that is until I can get my game setups fully functional in Linux. I'll still run Win 10 because I need to be proficient with it.

lightknightrr
Level 7
What memory (what model, exactly) are you using to get 3466Mhz?

lightknightrr wrote:
What memory (what model, exactly) are you using to get 3466Mhz?

Gskill F4-3200C14D-16GFX.

Its running at 1.42V, SOC on auto. I can post more settings later if you want. Bios 3008 always reset on q-code 05 with the 3466MHz OC. But 1701 passes a few hours of memtest x86 and has been stable for a couple of months now.

@jqpdev LLC is load line calibration. It stops V-droop under load. I would recoemnd watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XGhpKHWYAg

jqpdev
Level 7
Unknown,
Thanks for the youtube link. I watched that video and immediately followed it up with => ASUS B350 & X370 Ryzen Overclocking Walkthrough

Its a Ryzen OC Walkthrough with J.J. Guerrero from Asus. The walk through is great especially since the Ryzen platform is relatively new and J.J. does a great job explaining and demonstrating the what's, how's, and why's.

jqpdev wrote:
Unknown,
Thanks for the youtube link. I watched that video and immediately followed it up with => ASUS B350 & X370 Ryzen Overclocking Walkthrough

Its a Ryzen OC Walkthrough with J.J. Guerrero from Asus. The walk through is great especially since the Ryzen platform is relatively new and J.J. does a great job explaining and demonstrating the what's, how's, and why's.

The max you will get out of any ryzen chip atm on mainstream cooling options is 4.1GHz. Anything over this requires phase change or LN2. After that you are into memory overclocking which can gain you a fair degree of performance on ryzen. Your target temperatures are rather optimistic. At full load my ryzen 7 chip sits in the low 60s at 4GHz, 1.42v on custom liquid cooling.

lightknightrr
Level 7
Hmm. Am tempted to start shipping some of the larger (16GB) sticks of the higher speed RAM (3600Mhz+) to Asus headquarters, in an effort to get them to provide support for them.

lightknightrr wrote:
Hmm. Am tempted to start shipping some of the larger (16GB) sticks of the higher speed RAM (3600Mhz+) to Asus headquarters, in an effort to get them to provide support for them.

Yeah its pretty lacking tbh. Bugfixes in general. Although they are likely to have alot more people badgering them about CPU fans shutting down and hynix/micron memory than b-die. Also it may well be AMD's fault, as I'm not sure what the other manufacturer's boards are like for ram compatibility.

Thankfully I've never had that particular issue, I seem to have had a pretty good run with ryzen. Although I don't think 3600MHz+ memory actually adds very much. From some of the AIDA64 Memory benchmarks I have seen posted around here, it speeds the cache and lower memory latency a little but actually slows down either the read or write speed. Although there seems to be a little more luck with on the new agesa code.

I don't think they are putting much effort into sorting this board due to some fairly serious hardware flaws (this is just speculation BTW.)

jqpdev
Level 7
You are correct in that my OC ideas are optimistic. A LN2 setup would be a fun experiment and teaching tool for some young elementary/middle/high school students (mostly to wet their palette for knowledge and inspire them) but not realistic for a PC for day to day use... every man has dreams

@Lightknightrr,
I'll take a few of those 16GB sticks.