cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI Suite II Probe for older motherboards

lpd-au
Level 7
It's well reported here that the implementation of kernel virtual address shadowing to patch the meltdown vulnerability has broken AI Suite II. The recommendation from ASUS to download a beta version of AI Suite III does not work because the installer only says iirc "model not supported". Like many people, I am using a board for Sandy Bridge (i7K), which handily remains within its lifetime at the current rate of desktop CPU advancement. (To suggest otherwise would belie the price premium for build quality of ROG.) When will either a patch for AI Suite II or a backport of AI Suite III be supplied?
24 REPLIES 24

inpxfx
Level 7
lpd-au wrote:
It's well reported here that the implementation of kernel virtual address shadowing to patch the meltdown vulnerability has broken AI Suite II. The recommendation from ASUS to download a beta version of AI Suite III does not work because the installer only says iirc "model not supported". Like many people, I am using a board for Sandy Bridge (i7K), which handily remains within its lifetime at the current rate of desktop CPU advancement. (To suggest otherwise would belie the price premium for build quality of ROG.) When will either a patch for AI Suite II or a backport of AI Suite III be supplied?

There should have been a universal ai suite fan control / sensor monitoring program that would have made all of their boards future proof and i really wish they will still do it. This event shows the importance of not ditching support in favor of pushing new board sells.

Asus AI Suite II should receive an update too please. I hope Asus wont let AI Suite II users down. It would also be best in future to have one main site to download the latest Asus software, instead of individual motherboard support site. This way we can be sure to download the latest / updated version.

Completely agree with both of you. I've been really happy until now and would have bought another without hesitation, but what's the point in paying for hardware that lasts if the software doesn't? I understand it may take time to finalise a solution but some acknowledgement and communication in the meantime would be great.

aleunge
Level 7
And this isn't even the only known bug with AI Suite II. Right when the latest update was released up until now, so many bugs have surfaced. Asus don't love you long time.

YMMV, but on my Sabertooth 990FX (AMD FX9370), AI Suite II not working was actually an issue with the latest NVIDIA update (which with terrible timing, landed on the same release day as the Windows update on my machine). I rolled back to a previous restore point before the NVIDIA driver update and I'm fine now, even with KB4056892 installed.---UPDATE: I did more testing and installed KB4056892 again. It is indeed the windows update that has been messing up with AI Suite II, not NVIDIA.

AI Suite II really needs an update and/or a unified AI Suite would be perfect, but we all know it's not happening. Already taking that into consideration looking for my next rig.

Are there any official posts / statement from Asus regarding AI Suite II yet? Afaik, AI Suite III(3) already has received an update. I hope this will also be the case for Suite II.

Mattersbro wrote:
Are there any official posts / statement from Asus regarding AI Suite II yet? Afaik, AI Suite III(3) already has received an update. I hope this will also be the case for Suite II.

Asus's stance is that they don't care about users with older hardware, regardless how high end it was when it first came out (I have a higher end, newer version MB and it hasn't seen a BIOS/drivers update even though the older version of the same MB, which sold more, has gotten BIOS/drivers updates). AI Suite II has not been updated for years even with known bugs.

I don't know which platform I'll be upgrading to shortly, but it will not have a single Asus part in there. Do they think we're idiots flocking to their current AI Suite III when AI Suite 4 is released and we're left in the dust again?

Functional bugs are one thing, but security updates and showstoppers are another that really must be addressed.

Btw, do you really have the same issue using an AMD CPU? Seeing as Microsoft selectively disables kernel virtual address shadowing on AMD chips I thought AI Suite II would still run fine...

aleunge
Level 7
Oh for sure security update issues are the worst, but functional bugs can be just as bad when its function is to regulate fan speeds, CPU voltages, and the like. One bug is the chassis fans are stuck at low speeds on boot up every single time, unless you go back into AI Suite > fan settings and hit "apply" even though no changes have been made. It's ridiculous. Less and less parts of the software work as Windows is updated throughout the years. I have no faith this would be fixed by Asus even if it's a security/showstopper issue.

And yes, that recent Windows update has been making older AMD systems unbootable, something about AMD not documenting some parts of how their processors work properly. They've halted updates on those machines, but I'm worried that my system being not listed/not old enough to have that major boot issue, it might have slipped through the cracks. MS/AMD probably doesn't even know there's an issue (I keep getting offered the KB update) and Asus sure as heck isn't going to fix it.

Sorry for the unconstructive vent. It's just we have a few of these for personal and business use and the issues are multiplied. Good thing we went with HP Elitebooks and Surface Pros for portables.

Not a whole lot Microsoft and Linux devs can do really, it's entirely up to ASUS et al.