cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x399 Extreme Threadripper 1950x won't post with more than 16GB installed

Capo99999
Level 7
x399 Extreme Threadripper 1950x won't post with more than 1 DIMM installed. Purchased 128GB of g.skill (f4-2933c16q2-128gfx) and all work in slot 1 solo but won't post if I try to install more than one (using the recommended slot order).

Purchased the motherboard/RAM combo based on Newegg recommendation but now after exploring this forum I learn about the QVL and see there is no g.skill 2933 on the list, which seems odd as looks like everything else is.

Is there a fix for this or I need to return the $2k RAM and take a hit in restocking fees? Hopefully to not find that the new reordered QVL approved ram has the same issues.

btw - I'm on bios 0902 (think that is the latest as of this date)

Thanks for any insights!
5 REPLIES 5

Capo99999
Level 7
now I'm more confused, after more research, the ram is listed as QVL approved on g.skill website: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2933c16q2-128gfx

Raja
Level 13
Out of interest, what happens if you try a single module through the other slots? I'd make sure the socket is torqued down correctly. This platform is very finicky about that.

Tried a few of the other slots. modules only work in the 1 slot.

Tried reseating the cpu twice. both times were difficult to get screw 1 started. this is a mess. I don;t know if it's the cpu, board, or ram.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Out of interest, what happens if you try a single module through the other slots? I'd make sure the socket is torqued down correctly. This platform is very finicky about that.

JpArizona
Level 7
imo its a bad board, I had a board liek that, but I was only dealing with 32gb ram. It will only post with one stick, soon as I add more it wouldnt post but with 1 it was fine, so what I did I tried every stick of ram in that 1 slot to see if it theirs was a bad stick but nope it all worked just didnt work together so I ask for a replacement board and when that replacement board came first time trying without issue all 4 sticks of ram worked 32 gb. So might want to ask for a replacement board before its too late. if it post with 1 stick of ram and cpu I would think both cpu and ram is good but to make sure with the ram try all in that 1 slot to check if they work.

DISCLAIMER: im giving my opinion based on 32gb 4stick so can be completely different scenarios.

thanks for help. makes sense

JpArizona wrote:
imo its a bad board, I had a board liek that, but I was only dealing with 32gb ram. It will only post with one stick, soon as I add more it wouldnt post but with 1 it was fine, so what I did I tried every stick of ram in that 1 slot to see if it theirs was a bad stick but nope it all worked just didnt work together so I ask for a replacement board and when that replacement board came first time trying without issue all 4 sticks of ram worked 32 gb. So might want to ask for a replacement board before its too late. if it post with 1 stick of ram and cpu I would think both cpu and ram is good but to make sure with the ram try all in that 1 slot to check if they work.

DISCLAIMER: im giving my opinion based on 32gb 4stick so can be completely different scenarios.