cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix PG279Q backlight bleed?

Jasipi
Level 7
Returned an MG279Q due to back light bleed and upgraded to PG279Q thinking it would be better. It has worse back light bleed. Can't return to Umart because i cannot afford their 20% restocking fee again, and i've since heard the stories about these monitors and now fear i'll just get a monitor with even worse bleed. Also Umart doesn't seem to consider this very good grounds for return.

I've contacted Asus support about repair but i've got a feeling that i'm going to get ripped off somewhere down the line so i'm hoping some intelligent person here has figured out a way for a regular person like me to fix the issue (or at least minimize it) myself just in case i'm refused any help.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

bass_junkie_xl
Level 11
Jasipi wrote:
Returned an MG279Q due to back light bleed and upgraded to PG279Q thinking it would be better. It has worse back light bleed. Can't return to Umart because i cannot afford their 20% restocking fee again, and i've since heard the stories about these monitors and now fear i'll just get a monitor with even worse bleed. Also Umart doesn't seem to consider this very good grounds for return.

I've contacted Asus support about repair but i've got a feeling that i'm going to get ripped off somewhere down the line so i'm hoping some intelligent person here has figured out a way for a regular person like me to fix the issue (or at least minimize it) myself just in case i'm refused any help.

Thanks.

hello i live in canada and i order all my parts from newegg.ca shiped to me over x mas holidays new egg.ca gets ( refurbished ) from asus pg279q and sells them @ newegg.ca i read the reviews its a roll of the dice to get a good one so reviews say return it till u get one with minal back light bleed .

my first one looked good infront of me i lloaded up some full black screens in adark room and looked at it there was some along the edges wasnt bad so i said cool i lucked out but when i stood up and looked at the monitor on a angle head was about 10 inches away on a angle i loaded up a white full screen image
and saw what looked like a white rectangle shaped image about 6 inches tall and about 10 inches long in the middle of the screen it was white and u could only see it on a white or dark back ground on a angle other then that i exchanged it for another one .

so some one told me a trick wich lets you see back light bleed even better you open up a full black screen darken room to pitch black and take your cell phone and aim it at the middle oif the screen and turn flash off and in the picture it wil lhigh light the dark and light spots of the back light bleed @ 4 - 6 feet away
and to my suprise mine was bad on the cell phone .

your 20 % restockign fee is absured ..... you have 14 -31 days to exchange for replacment
you have 14- 31 days for money back etleast in all stores in canada or some places will give u a in store credit dont know if thats how it works for you ,

other option would be to look in to the warrenty of the monitor but that could be tricky u could send it to asus and they could test it ok with out taking the back light bleed in to account and ship it back .

i heard lowering brightness down helps alot . and gamma
besides the brightness and gamma i dont think theres much ucan do man i can be corrected though .

i would call the manager of the store in person and explain ti ti him and be firm about about it be tough dont be nice and push over stand your ground you payed 1000 $ for a monitor and its defected and want a new one ?
could u post some pictures on here ?
Rig # 1 - 14900Ks SP-118 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,600 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | PG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 14900K-SP-120 | 89 MC @ 5.9 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

This is what Asus support said after i requested a repair:

"It's our pleasure to help you solve your problem.
If you still have any technical issue,please feel free to contact Asus technical support team at https://www.asus.com/support/Product/ContactUs/Services/MailStatus.
Thank you.
Kind Regards,
Asus Technical Support Team"

I haven't received any Emails or any information regarding a repair. I only have 15 days (of which 8 have passed) to return the monitor to Umart. I don't want to roll the dice until i get a monitor that is sort of okay. I want a monitor that is what it is supposed to be.

I've been using sRGB mode which doesn't seem to let you lower the brightness. Even if it did, having to lower the brightness to get rid of a blotch of light in the corner is a stupid thing to have to be doing in the first place.

Anyone know what the cause of back light bleed is and how to actually fix it?

bass junkie xl wrote:
some one told me a trick wich lets you see back light bleed even better you open up a full black screen darken room to pitch black and take your cell phone and aim it at the middle oif the screen and turn flash off and in the picture it wil lhigh light the dark and light spots of the back light bleed @ 4 - 6 feet away
and to my suprise mine was bad on the cell phone .

That's silly. If it's not visible to the naked eye during normal usage why would you want to do that to yourself? Now you're going to be paranoid trying to look for bleed instead of enjoying your games.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

The back light bleed i have is in the top right corner and is very noticeable to the naked eye on black screens. Less noticeable when colours are moving over it but when dark enough it is easy to spot. I can make it go away around the top edge if i press on the case in just the right way but there doesn't seem to be anything i can do to get rid of the bleed up the top right side.

It is definitely back light bleed. It is definitely noticeable. I don't believe it should be there.

Jasipi wrote:
The back light bleed i have is in the top right corner and is very noticeable to the naked eye on black screens. Less noticeable when colours are moving over it but when dark enough it is easy to spot. I can make it go away around the top edge if i press on the case in just the right way but there doesn't seem to be anything i can do to get rid of the bleed up the top right side.

It is definitely back light bleed. It is definitely noticeable. I don't believe it should be there.

Any modification of the monitor would void your warranty so I really don't recommend it. It would suck if you had a serious failure and weren't able to get it fixed. But if pressing the frame seems to help you could certainly try firmly taping it with some black tape to apply some pressure. That would not void the warranty and be removable. Other than that I can't think of anything you could do that wouldn't require modification.

You could also check back with umart to see if they could do an RMA without charging the restocking fee. It is one thing for them to charge it when you exchange for a different model but maybe you could convince them that you got a defective unit and should not be charged?

Also, you must have a case id to post in the service inquiry section so this thread has been moved to the monitor section.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Sorry, i didn't realise i had posted in the wrong section. No word from Asus yet.

xeromist
If it helps you could try sending a PM to ASUS-OP. That is an ASUS employee in Australia. There is an Aussie forum area as well but it doesn't see as much activity. https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?224-Australia