cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VM and NVME reboot

Vic4DI
Level 7
Dear members,

I am having a lot of issues with my GL502 VM (i7 6700HQ, GTX1060, 16 Gb of Ram) and NVMe drives.
I used two different 960 Evo, one 960 Pro and one Corsair MP500.
The problem is always the same, after restarting the OS sometimes the boot drive is not recognized.
With the 960 drives, after reboot, the Asus Dog logo never disappear and the OS is not loaded, with the MP500 an error about Hardware modifications appear (boot drive not founded. Maybe something went wrong).
With the original Sata 3 drive everything works fine.*
Last BIOS available installed (Bios ver 300).*
7 REPLIES 7

hitardo
Level 7
Hello,

Do you have any feedback on this matter?

I am installing a Samsung 970 Evo 500GB on my GL502VMK, and needed some advice on BIOS settings.

Thank you in advance.

hitardo
Level 7
Vic4DI wrote:
Dear members,

I am having a lot of issues with my GL502 VM (i7 6700HQ, GTX1060, 16 Gb of Ram) and NVMe drives.

Hello,

Do you have any feedback on this matter?

I am installing a Samsung 970 Evo 500GB on my GL502VMK, and needed some advice on BIOS settings.

Thank you in advance.

Matze2k0
Level 7
Vic4DI wrote:
Dear members,

I used two different 960 Evo, one 960 Pro and one Corsair MP500.
The problem is always the same, after restarting the OS sometimes the boot drive is not recognized.
With the 960 drives, after reboot, the Asus Dog logo never disappear and the OS is not loaded, with the MP500 an error about Hardware modifications appear (boot drive not founded. Maybe something went wrong).
With the original Sata 3 drive everything works fine.*
Last BIOS available installed (Bios ver 300).*

thats interesting. i'm having the same issue with my Intel 600p nvme drive. It is not being regognized sometimes. I own a GL702VMK which is similiar to yours. Have you been able to fix the issue somehow? I switched to a regular sata drive and the Problems are gone

Thanks
mat

Arfat
Level 7
I'm facing the same issue with my GL502VM-DB71. Anyway my laptop was restarting once I disabled 'Secure Boot' option in BIOS settings. Let me know a way if restarting is possible without disabling secure boot.

I'm having the same issue, I got an intel 660p 1TB and did a clean windows install.
Booting from the off state works just fine, but any kind of restart doesn't allow the system to boot properly.

I tried disabling secure boot and then I get a light blue screen instead of an error code on a black screen.(replacing the original m.2 ssd)

I am planning to replace my defauld SSD Hynix 256GB and 1TB Hard Disk for 2 SSD´s on my GL702VM.

Any update on this issue and how to fix it. I don´t wanna risk a laptop malfunctioning.

Are all NVME SSD´s presenting the same issue of just some models?

Thanks.

Hi all.

I've been having this very same issue with my GL502VM. My laptop was able to cold boot into windows successfully but any soft boot/restart would result in the system crashing at the ROG Splash screen.

I have now fixed this problem for my GL502VM. I think secure boot was the main issue but to be sure, I did the following:

1. Use Windows Media Creator to create windows 10 ISO file (latest Win 10 Build)

2. Format USB Pen Drive (8GB or more) to FAT32

3. Use RUFUS tool to create Windows 10 installation media on the FAT 32 Formatted USB Pen Drive

RUFUS Can be downloaded here: https://rufus.ie/

(Settings: Partition Scheme - GPT, Target System - UEFI)

4a Boot into the Windows installation media on the USB Drive (This can be done by holding F2 to access the bios when powering the laptop on and either changing the boot options or booting into the USB Drive from BIOS)

4b Proceed with Windows 10 Installation using Custom: Install Windows Only

4c In the "Where do you want to install windows?" Delete all SSD and Hard Drive partitions then format the remaining partitions. WARNING: Formatting will PERMANENTLY ERASE all files on both the SSD and HDD so make sure you back up any valauble files before attempting this!

4d Make a new volume on the NVME SSD (128GB in my case), and proceeded to install Windows 10 to it.

5. Boot into your new Windows 10 installation.

6. Run command line in Windows 10 (cmd.exe) as Administrator, use the command: bcdboot C:\Windows

7. Disable Secure Boot in GL502VM BIOS Options.

I also updated the BIOS to the latest version but you can do this at your own risk. This is a good tutorial to follow for anyone unsure on how to perform a successful BIOS update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsUlxPDGkaU

Good luck everyone!