cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCing Ryzen 1800X

dusank
Level 7
Hello,

can I please get some guidance for OCing my CPU. I've been following this guide:

I have my memory set to DOCP Standard (3200MHz).

I've tried OCing with the following settings (everything else is on Default/Auto):

CPU Core Ratio: 40
CPU Core Voltage: Offset 0,025 - 0,0625
Core Performance Boost: Disabled
CPU LLC: Level 1
Global C-State Control: Enabled
Fast Boot
CSM: Disabled

My PC boots up fine at vcore offset 0,025 but with AIDA64 System Stability Test running the PC freezes after cca. 1,5 minutes.
I've tried increasing the offset as recommended in the guide but the only thing that changes is that the PC freezes after a longer time (18 minutes @ offset 0,0625).

I've tried all the values between 0,025 and 0,0625.

Is it safe to go higher? What is the safe maximum for vcore offset?

Are there any other settings that might help stabilize my CPU at Core Ratio 40?
38 REPLIES 38

dusank
Level 7
Nevermind, I've realized that for P-State OC vcore offset is useless anyway (As the required vcore value cant be easily determined from it).

After thorough testing I've determined that my CPU is able to run at 3975MHz with at least 1,3875V core voltage.

That corresponds to FID=9F and VID=1A which I've set on Pstate0 leaving the other states on Auto.

I've set power plan to AMD Ryzen Balanced and minimum processor state to 20%.

Now how do I verify that P-States work as expected on my PC?

In CPU-Z the Core Speed (Core #0) is jumping up and down between 2967MHz and 1983MHz when idle. Is that normal?

AIDA64 System Stability Test under Statistics shows the cores with either 3966, 2194 or 1983 speeds which are changing constantly when idle. Is that OK?

Setting VID in Pstate0 is already working normally in Beta BIOS 3101, right?

Does using High performance power plan instead of AMD Ryzen Balanced offer any advantages/disadvantages?

Can someone please help to answer my questions?

dusank wrote:
Can someone please help to answer my questions?

If your intent on Overclocking the CPU then consider no p-state overclock. I consider this a tree hugging feature that can spoil a decent Overclock. Once your stable then you can try p-states.
Have all your cores operational and no offsets to start with.
Change your LLC to mid range or high. You may have voltage droop when Overclocked, just keep your eye on Temps as AUTO settings can vary voltage input.

Your OC will vary depending on the AIO your using and a H115i is the best for a decent OC. The Bios has settings allowing an OC based on the cooling you have and worth giving a try.
If your going to Overclock then you will want to have performance power plan as ballance will park your cores when demand is low.
I always set for performance when Overclocked.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
If your intent on Overclocking the CPU then consider no p-state overclock. I consider this a tree hugging feature that can spoil a decent Overclock. Once your stable then you can try p-states.

Thats exactly what I did. Manual OC to determine best voltage/multiplier working then set it up into P-State.

MeanMachine wrote:

Have all your cores operational and no offsets to start with.
Change your LLC to mid range or high. You may have voltage droop when Overclocked, just keep your eye on Temps as AUTO settings can vary voltage input.

All Ryzen OC guides I've seen recommend having LLC set to Level 1. "Mid range or high" would be LLC3 and higher?

I have a pretty stable system with the multiplier and voltage specified in my previous post it did not crash a single time while playing games or using applications. The problem I have though that AIDA64 System Stability Test either crashes or the system crashes/freezes after cca. 90 - 160 minutes. I've tried to increase vcore up to 1,4 but it did not help. Would it be reasonable to try to go higher than 1,4 with vcore just to make SST go on for tens of hours?

Might LLC help me to make the system more stable under a long running System Stability Test? Might voltage droop occur only after 90 minutes of stress testing?

If I understand LLC correctly, I should aim for the lowest level under which my vcore does not decrease under a stress test, right?

MeanMachine wrote:

Your OC will vary depending on the AIO your using and a H115i is the best for a decent OC.

Unfortunately it does not fit into my case. That is why I had to use a Corsair H80i v2. Having a radiator twice the size would be nice, but the difference in performance cant be that huge ...

MeanMachine wrote:

The Bios has settings allowing an OC based on the cooling you have and worth giving a try.

Is it not better to do it manually and find the sweet spot?

MeanMachine wrote:
If your going to Overclock then you will want to have performance power plan as ballance will park your cores when demand is low.
I always set for performance when Overclocked.

Why is parking cores bad? They turn on under load automatically, no? I have my PC running for long hours with low load (e.g. downloading files/torrents). Does not core parking save power and increase longevity of the components?

What would be better if my cores did not park under performance power plan?

I have currently set my vcore to 1,4V in BIOS.

CPUZ shows vcore at 1,417V when idle and CPU temp is at 36 degree Celsius.

Once I turn on AIDA64 SST vcore still stays at 1,417V and CPU temp goes up to 75 degree Celsius.

Thus it seems that I do not suffer from voltage droop and therefore there is no need to increase the LLC level, right?

lightknightrr
Level 7
Upgrade your cooling capacity to a H115i first? 😉

MeanMachine
Level 13
I am going by my own experience on this platform however, Check my thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92489-New-Ryzen-7-1800X-build-impressions
My cooling system is H115i and I achieved 4.016 and Vcore set to 1.4V. Do not exceed 1.4V on the Core for longevity. The H80 is inadequate for higher than stock frequency imo.
I found issue with LLC set low at higher frequency. Low range LLC is OK for stock frequency.

Aida64 is a good stability tester however CPU should be tested separately by running CPU, FPU and Cache from all other tests. Does not need to be run for more than 1hr MAX. If system fails during this period then your not stable. Doubtful however you would put your system under such stress during normal operations.
Realbench is the best real world tester and if you can run that test then your stable 24/7.

Yes manual Bios Overclocking is best certainly to get the MAX OC IF you know what your doing. Just mentioned It to try.

I'm not saying parking cores is bad however, I have found that the transition from low state to peak demand causes instability and I have an 850W platinum PSU.

Like I said, I don't care about power usage as I have 6.6KW of Solar so it costs me nothing. I had more trouble getting stable when testing P-states and using offsets than anything else.
There is some good info by gupsterg at Overclockers that's worth reading: http://www.overclock.net/t/1625015/ryzen-essential-info-with-link-to-owners-info-db
Some of my tests did not coincide however, no two systems are the same, Bios versions vary and still not finalised.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:

My cooling system is H115i and I achieved 4.016 and Vcore set to 1.4V. Do not exceed 1.4V on the Core for longevity. The H80 is inadequate for higher than stock frequency imo.

I dont understand why so many people seem to bash the Corsair H80i v2. For sure having a radiator of twice the size should, at least in theory, provide slightly better cooling. But the difference is certainly not that humongous to call H115i "the best for a decent OC" and H80 "inadequate for higher than stock frequency"!

Your frequency is slightly higher than mine, but when I look at your HWMonitor screens youre running at "97" (I believe it is actually 77 with cca. 20 substracted) degree Celsius with vcore set to 1,461V while my rigs CPU with 1,417V vcore operates currently at 70 degree Celsius under AIDA64 SST. So it seems that my "inadequate" cooler actually outperforms your "superior" one by at least 7 degree Celsius! :cool:

IMHO: The Corsair H80i v2 is an awesome cooler absolutely adequate for serious usage and OCing with performance on par with the best air coolers out there! 😄

dusank wrote:
I dont understand why so many people seem to bash the Corsair H80i v2. For sure having a radiator of twice the size should, at least in theory, provide slightly better cooling. But the difference is certainly not that humongous to call H115i "the best for a decent OC" and H80 "inadequate for higher than stock frequency"!

Your frequency is slightly higher than mine, but when I look at your HWMonitor screens youre running at "97" (I believe it is actually 77 with cca. 20 substracted) degree Celsius with vcore set to 1,461V while my rigs CPU with 1,417V vcore operates currently at 70 degree Celsius under AIDA64 SST. So it seems that my "inadequate" cooler actually outperforms your "superior" one by at least 7 degree Celsius! :cool:

IMHO: The Corsair H80i v2 is an awesome cooler absolutely adequate for serious usage and OCing with performance on par with the best air coolers out there! 😄

Yes we all have opinions and sorry if mine upset you. Thank you for reading my thread.
I live in a hot climate where temps can reach 40C+ and ambient temps make all the differance. I do agree that the H80 is a good cooler for a cooler climate.
I understand Bratislava is considered a moderate climate where you have a cold winter and max 30C in Summer on average.?

Would love to see your validated bench tests and what you can achieve. 😛

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]