cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1080Ti fan issues (third fan doesn’t move at all)

gravexmind
Level 7
As title says, I have an Asus Rog Strix 1080Ti and the third fan isn’t spinning. What prompted me to even look at the fans was that HWinfo isn’t showing any RPMs on the GPU fans, but it does show percentages. I can get the gpu to about 79c playing PUBG but the third fan still hasn’t spooled up once. I’ve read that they’re triggered by certain temperatures but even Raja said on a post on the rogforums that around 70c all three should spin.
13 REPLIES 13

Exalanoto
Level 7
All 3 fans should spinn, try setting manual speed and manual mode for the fans and see iff they spinn then. iff not, then its RMA time

Exalanoto wrote:
All 3 fans should spinn, try setting manual speed and manual mode for the fans and see iff they spinn then. iff not, then its RMA time

This does not work. I’ve heard horror stories about Asus’ RMA process 😞

I have like five days left on my receipt to return the GPU to microcenter but there aren’t any 1080Tis available anywhere. *

Marcello_S
Level 7
Have you tried to move the fan manually?

Aysberg
Level 10
The one next to the power connector is the one spinning mostly on my card, the other two kick in with higher temps. For testing I would just use manual fan settings and see what happens as @Marcello.S suggested.

Sorry didn't see you tested this already. Seems your fan or controller is broken, if you can return the card I wouldn't go through the RMA hassle. I don't know, your card is working maybe ASUS is able to do some advanced replacement? Corsair and some other companies do this on request, so you can use your hardware until the replacement arrives.

Aysberg wrote:
The one next to the power connector is the one spinning mostly on my card, the other two kick in with higher temps. For testing I would just use manual fan settings and see what happens as @Marcello.S suggested.

Sorry didn't see you tested this already. Seems your fan or controller is broken, if you can return the card I wouldn't go through the RMA hassle. I don't know, your card is working maybe ASUS is able to do some advanced replacement? Corsair and some other companies do this on request, so you can use your hardware until the replacement arrives.

I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or what. I exchanged my Strix for a new one. I just installed it, power on, open afterburner and set fans to 100%, check under the card, and the same fan (last one, furthest from the connector) still isn’t spinning. I had to leave the house so I didn’t have time to run a benchmark and get the card to heat up and see what happens. Surely there’s no way that I can get two faulty cards almost thirty days apart, right?

gravexmind wrote:
I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or what. I exchanged my Strix for a new one. I just installed it, power on, open afterburner and set fans to 100%, check under the card, and the same fan (last one, furthest from the connector) still isn’t spinning. I had to leave the house so I didn’t have time to run a benchmark and get the card to heat up and see what happens. Surely there’s no way that I can get two faulty cards almost thirty days apart, right?

Have you tried the software thats made for this card and not MSI?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Have you tried the software thats made for this card and not MSI?

yes. Same result.*

Marcello_S
Level 7
Try to move the fan a bit by giving a little push in its spinning direction and see if the fan starts to spin. Either way I suggest you to RMA the GPU. Because so far I never heard of software that cause misfuction to just one of 3 fans. Either they function all, or none at all, but never just one and the rest work properly.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Can you try the following

1) Uninstall all aspects of the NV Driver from the control panel

2) Run DDU removal utility restarting as prompted

3) Remove all installations of GPU Tweak / MSI Afterburner

4) Reinstall the latest NV Driver

See if this helps before going any further.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090