cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus stopped keeping stock of parts for my Asus G56JR and now I can't fix it

zpedro
Level 9
Hey guys,

I have an Asus G56JR-CN232H which I bought new not even 4 years ago. This is it:

After all this time I've had my first major problem. My right hinge broke and I'm unable to open and close the laptop normally. In the process of the failure, the hinge also broke the mounts of it on the LCD back cover.

That being said I now need a hinge and an LCD back cover.

I talked to my local Asus-approved repair center (on which I bought the pc and has been an Asus Gold Partner for years) and they ordered the parts. The hinge was in stock and fairly easy to come by. The LCD cover was not in stock but could be ordered for an ETA of 30 days.

2 months passed and the supplier says the LCD back cover is no longer available and was discontinued. "Scrap the laptop as it now became unrepairable" they told me.

That just won't work for me!

The part I need has part numbers 90NB03Z3-R7A001 or 13NB03Z3AM0101. Why two parts number? Asus gave me one, the repair center another. It's the same piece and I couldn't tell you why there would be two different part numbers. Anywho...

I've searched around and nobody seems to have this piece nor is able to order it.

I thought of searching for a compatible piece and asked help to suppliers and Asus itself. They all turned me down. "Your serial number is only compatible with the parts number given before" they say.

That can't be true so I searched for a different color model than mine and was able to find part number 90NB04Z1-R7A000 / 13NB04Z1AM0201. I'm 95% this is exactly the same piece but in a different color which given the situation I don't mind.

Here's where I ask your help:

1 - Can anybody out there help me confirm this?

2 - Do you have any kind of disassembly guide I can follow to take photos of my part so I can compare with the ones I found online of the new part?

3 - Do you know of any other model that may have a compatible LCD cover so I can look up the respective part number and stock of it?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help

TL;DR:
I need an LCD back cover replacement for an Asus G56JR.
Asus says it's discontinued and there are no compatible parts available to repair.
I don't believe it and found part number 90NB04Z1-R7A000 / 13NB04Z1AM0201 that I'm pretty sure it fits.
I need help confirming this before committing to buy it.
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
I don't know about the part numbers but if it was me I would just look on Ebay for the part in question. I've found hinge parts for 10 year old laptops because there are businesses that do nothing but salvage parts from old laptops. It might be cheaper than ordering new. If it was salvaged from a g56 then you know it'll work.

Regarding guidance, these days nearly every model has a video on youtube. Just search for your laptop model and "teardown" or "disassembly".
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I was able to find 2 videos of teardowns but they are not for this specific model and one of them doesn't touch the lcd part which I'll have to tackle. Even so I might give this a try tomorrow.

I've searched for the part second hand and found a few listings that were already sold. I tried googling the part numbers so I could find shops and only found one store in the US that might have the piece although it's not exactly the same part number (it changes one number) it seems the same. The thing is I have to import it to Europe and that would be much more expensive than one other I found which seems to differ only in color.

Asus is being relentless and refuses to give me any support other than giving me the serial number specific info. They don't try and find if there are indeed any parts that are the same but different color.

zpedro wrote:
Asus is being relentless and refuses to give me any support other than giving me the serial number specific info. They don't try and find if there are indeed any parts that are the same but different color.

It's unlikely anyone you speak to in support would actually know for sure if the parts are compatible and they could cause a serious problem by confirming incorrect information. If you want to use a different part you're going to be all on your own.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

zpedro
Level 9
The thing is Asus Support is the only one I can reach. If they are not qualified to reply I understand but they should be able to put me in contact with someone from parts/manufacturing that could help me. What's even worst, all websites I seen with the part numbers I searched for listed compatible models as N56/G56 JR/JK models so I can't understand how someone at Asus can't help me further.

Anywho...

I disassembled my laptop and I'm pretty sure part 90NB04Z1-R7A000 will fit.

It will be a weird color but it's better than broken.

I'll report back when I try it.

ajeshmani
Level 7
[hey there ... i have the same problem as yours. So now i am sure that they really dont have the spares for G56JR. I also required the top cover and the bezel which the authorised service centre ordered, but was unable to get it as it was not available anywhere in india. I am not sure what to do next. If you have any idea or get these parts elsewhere do inform me.

I was successful in buying a part for another model and assembling it myself. The original cover is black with red LED and I bought one that is a dark brown and with white LED but works great!

Part number is 90NB04Z1-R7A000 and it's for Asus N56JK, N56JN, N56JR if I'm not mistaken.

I didn't order a bezel as mine was ok. Only back cover.

Do your own research before buying this or any other part to make sure it's what you need.

I bought it at IPC Computer. I believe it's Germany based but they were very helpful.

With this, or any other seller, do ask for photos of what you are buying to compare with your original parts and make sure that the right connections align.

If I can help any further, do let me know.

Best of luck to you!