cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My underperforming 4266 Memory on my Z270G Motherboard

Lon55
Level 7

First time into over-clocking last year got myself a fancy looking but unsupported GSKILL 4266 kit without reading the small print along with a de-lidded 7700K pre-stress-tested to 4.8Ghz and a Z270G Gaming board (wanted a smaller form factor case) plus water cooling. It was all a bit of a learning curve and things are running smoothly, processor is over-clocked to 4.9 on 2 cores and 4.8 on the other 2 using the ASUS AI tweaker utility that auto tunes it for you.

However as you can see the memory runs very low (nearly half speed), I was never able to get XMP to work, PC just wouldnt boot if I had it set to XMP in the BIOS. I sort of gave up but then read on here a few people recommending disabling the ASUS "Multi Core Enhancement" feature and noticed I had it enabled. It has got my appetite whet to try and get the speed of the memory up to nearer its potential (although it seems that this board can't support its full speed).

Any other advice on which settings I should look at?

Thanks for reading

Edit: Got my Memory up to 3200MHz, wouldn't post with any higher value!

1 REPLY 1

Chino
Level 15
The highest memory you can run depends on your CPU's IMC. Not every CPU can do 4266MHz. Try putting your CPU back to store defaults and tweak your memory to see what's the highest you can go. That'll give you an idea of what you can aim for with the CPU overclock.