Did you mean: 

Start of new mega build?

Rob_W_
Level 12
Just started my new build.
Ordered the new Titan v gpu
About to order the intel i9 7980 cpu
I have the Intel Optane 900p*
Have GSkill 16 gb ddr4 *3400 has but looking at the quad Chanel now?
**Thinking of the *Rampage Vi extreme X299 mono but *would be interested in any other suggestions?
So! The waiting starts again for deliveries!!*
12 REPLIES 12

Vlada011
Level 10
Maybe you should look Rampage VI Apex.
But I9-7890XE deserve Rampage VI Extreme.
And one thing, somehow is bad to install 16GB kit on such beast.
At least 32GB... Example CMD32GX4M4B3600C16.
64GB memory are ultra expensive. 4x16GB kits are 800$+.

Rob_W_
Level 12
@vlada011 Agreed on the memory, it was a case of my other rig I had 16 go and brought another 16Gb to bump it up to 32gb then realised can’t mix matched sets so have 16 gb left unused? Unless some one knows how to get them working together?
Definitely tempted toward the extreme board and will check out the mem kit you linked , thanks.

Vlada011
Level 10
You can check and GSkill kits if you like more, there is list of supported memory on Rampage VI Extreme page among Supported CPU and Memory and other devices.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-EXTREME/HelpDesk_QVL/

Rob_W_
Level 12
Went for the rampage vi extreme board, so waiting for i9 7980, Titan V and mobo to arrive, checking out memory now ( thinking 64gb quad Chanel ddr4 *3600hzs)?*

JustinThyme
Level 13
Whats $1500 when you bought a Titan V and 7980XE? Chump change!
Go for a 64GB 8X8 kit. That will cover about anything you can throw at it.
Im running a 64GB Corsair dominator platinum 3800MHz kit and it does XMP at the full 3800 and even went to 17 on the CAS instead of the 19 that is the XMP. CMD64GX4M8X3800C19
I gave the Titan V a passing thought but 2x 1080Ti is SLI will match the performance for less than half as much. I paid $1500 for both cards. This and the fact that even Nvidia said the Titan V is not for gaming, more built towards mining with much slower clock speeds.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

kkn
Level 14
the new titan cards are not made for gaming, a 1080ti card is bether in game then what a titan card is.

Rob_W_
Level 12
Because I can! We are all allowed to go eccentric if we like, I have my gaming rig and happy with its performance, no reason for this build other than to muck about with beastly components and see what they can do together, yeh I suppose no good scrimping on memory so will rethink that one.
I did think about the 1080ti , I may replace my 980ti with one on my other rig but for this rig the Titan gets a run first, *I have not seen any reviews with this setup so I will get it built and have some fun finding what it can do!
Will post results.*

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Rob_W_
Level 12
Update.
Titan V arrived, * * *“ although not for gaming ( scientific) there have been a few reviews ( not with an i9 7980) on it gaming *and it appears nothing can touch it ( yet ) will be interesting to see.
*Memory,*GSkill F4-3600C16Q2-64GTZR (8gb x 😎 arrived yesterday.

Mobo, Rampage Vi Extreme had email to say arriving by Monday.

CPU, i9 7980 arriving by 3rd feb.*

Psu Be quiet 850watt platinum

I will use another kraken x62 for cooling

Researching a new case, looks like max airflow might be rather important in this one haha.?*