MarshallR PC Specs
    MotherboardR5E10
    Processori7-5960X @ 3.95
    Memory (part number)HyperX 3300CL16 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Strix 1080 Ti OC
    Sound CardSupremeFX
    MonitorASUS PA328Q
    Storage #1SM951 NVMe (OS)
    Storage #2SM941 ACHI (Splash) / 8TB WD Red (Data) / 1TB Samsung 950 Pro (Games Store)
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken x62
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplySeasonic PD750W
    Keyboard G.Skill KM560 (MX Red)
    Mouse ROG Gladius (Gen1) & Sica (Gen1)
    Headset/Speakers Creative T20
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterRT-N16U (120M/10M)
    Accessory #1 2 meters RGB bling
    Accessory #2 iPhone 8Plus + AirPods

Quote Originally Posted by deadchip12 View Post
    I want to pair this with PS4 Pro so just want to make sure HDR will work via HDMI 2.0 port on the monitor. Any PS4 game that supports HDR e.g. Horizon Zero Dawn, Resident Evil 7, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous Second Son etc.
    I'm just this minute told Pro/X 4K HDR consoles DO enable HDR@4K with the HDMI port on the PG27UQ.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR View Post
    I'm just this minute told Pro/X 4K HDR consoles DO enable HDR@4K with the HDMI port on the PG27UQ.
    That's a fantastic news!

Can't wait for the monitor. Hope Asus spend time polishing the HDR & FALD functionality. A little bummed out that Dolby Vision & HDMI 2.1 are not supported for future proof but I guess we have to wait for the next generation of monitor.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array MarshallR PC Specs
    MarshallR PC Specs
    MotherboardR5E10
    Processori7-5960X @ 3.95
    Sound CardSupremeFX
    MonitorASUS PA328Q
    Storage #2SM941 ACHI (Splash) / 8TB WD Red (Data) / 1TB Samsung 950 Pro (Games Store)
    CaseCorsair 900D
    OS Win 10

Quote Originally Posted by deadchip12 View Post
    That's a fantastic news!

Can't wait for the monitor. Hope Asus spend time polishing the HDR & FALD functionality. A little bummed out that Dolby Vision & HDMI 2.1 are not supported for future proof but I guess we have to wait for the next generation of monitor.
    Oh yea it has HDR10 with 384 FALD LEDs (branded "Nvidia HDR" here), which is more common on PC monitors than Dolby and you'll still get practically the same effect, but without the license fee$$$.

For Dolby/2.1 you're looking at TVs rather than PC monitors. I haven't seen a roadmap when that'll happen because TVs don't care for >60Hz and it depends on 8K60 to drive the bandwidth need, which is still hyper-premium and totally lacking 8K content/media. NV/AMD are focused on DP not HDMI, because every HDMI port you add on every single product you sell is also a license fee. DP is free. That's why your GPU only gets 1 HDMI and several DPs. (This is also why the smartphone industry shifted away from microUSB/MHL in favor of USB-C/DP).

Oh yea it has HDR10 with 384 FALD LEDs (branded "Nvidia HDR" here), which is more common on PC monitors than Dolby and you'll still get practically the same effect, but without the license fee$$$.

For Dolby/2.1 you're looking at TVs rather than PC monitors. I haven't seen a roadmap when that'll happen because TVs don't care for >60Hz and it depends on 8K60 to drive the bandwidth need, which is still hyper-premium and totally lacking 8K content/media. NV/AMD are focused on DP not HDMI, because every HDMI port you add on every single product you sell is also a license fee. DP is free. That's why your GPU only gets 1 HDMI and several DPs. (This is also why the smartphone industry shifted away from microUSB/MHL in favor of USB-C/DP).
    Thank you for your replies to my posts. This is the first time I see a representative from Asus providing such good amount of info.

I also wish there was only 1 universal format for everything e.g. either HDR10 or Dolby Vision, either DP or HDMI. But it's not the case here, so thank god PG27UQ has an HDMI 2.0 port for consoles. Future console like PS5 most likely will have HDMI 2.1 featuring VRR (equivalent of Gsync) so hopefully future monitors will have HDMI 2.1 ports as well.

Any roadmap for OLED or HDR10+ ? HDR10+ should be better than HDR10 and comparable to Dolby Vision thanks to metadata. OLED is a definitely a pain in the *** for monitors due to burn-in issues, so maybe the next generation of monitors will skip OLED and go straight for microLED?

Also, have you ever tried the monitor UP2718Q from Dell? That monitor also has HDR10, 1000 nits brightness and 384 FALD zones. However, some reports mention that the FALD implementation is very poor, which leads to excessive halo and blooming in HDR mode. I hope PG27UQ features better local dimming algorithm.
    Last edited by deadchip12; 03-28-2018 at 09:39 AM.

MarshallR PC Specs
    MotherboardR5E10
    Processori7-5960X @ 3.95
    Sound CardSupremeFX
    MonitorASUS PA328Q
    CaseCorsair 900D
    OS Win 10

Nvidia won't support anything but it's own G-Sync, because it's understandably invested in its own technologies and gaming ecosystem. VRR is already here with FreeSync(2) and agnostic of the connector. Xb1X supports FreeSync2 and PS4P should do (consoles are chicken/egg due to TVs being designed for gamers). Adding it into the display scaler chip isn't that much work, it's the quality of panel that dictates how well it works and what range. The RD between panel-scaler for VRR is a LOT of the development effort, which Nvidia and ROG do invest time in on the PGs.
    (Story time) If you ever used an upgraded VG248 with the original Nvidia G-Sync kit (hack) the IQ was ****acular. I bought one and did the upgrade at home and there was no color calibration so it produced the most nuclear TN greens and reds imaginable. G-Sync was revolutionary back when it launched and wonderful to play FarCry3 with at the time, but damn it was rough. We spent a lot of time working on the PG278 after that to tweak it (plus it was a better TN anyway). Anyway, my point was: it's not the standards that matter - it's the panels, scalers and R&D to get it working well.

OLED is basically LG or Sony and they are still too expensive or too difficult to produce en-mass afaik. OLED has been promised for 10-15 years already and it's still not widely available so I don't hold out much hope. The LED industry is very mature in comparison so microLED seems like a safe bet but for large panels... who knows. Smartphones and wearables will be ~3 years but TV/monitor.. 5?

I haven't seen the Dell. I'm not sure how it compares currently, but the panel is different and there's no Quantum Dot coating n the Dell, which might make some difference.

Pg27uq

I understand that DP1.4 does not have enough bandwith for 4K 144hz at Full Chroma (4:4:4)

But does that mean, we can run 1440p 144hz at Full Chroma on the PG27UQ... or not?

Just asking because some (older) games really tend to be impossible to run at 4K (AC Unity...)
    and while it is an 27" panel - it shouldn't be to bad to run games in lower resolution than 4k, right?
    Please correct me if i'm wrong...

FALD: does it work in 384 individual zones, or are some of the LEDs packed in a common zone like in some TVs?
    Some TVs *have 512 FALD-LEDs but less than 36 Zones because the LEDs are not working individual but in a common square - like 8x5 LEDs = 1 Zone...
    Also I'm very interested in this panel-overclocking-thing...
    In general: what are the disadvantages of panel-overclocking...

I have a 1440p 144hz monitor which has an overclocking option in the menu to enable up to 165hz...
    But in my testing i wasn't sure if there weren't some minor shortcomings in terms of color-reproduction and grain...

Can you please explain in easy words what overclocking does and what will be affected when running a panel over it's original maximum-Refreshrate...? also what does it mean for lifecycle of a display?

Thank you very much for any answer you can give ☺️
    And*I am very sorry for my bad english...*hopefully you can read and understand anything i wrote...*
    Last edited by Sichtwechsel86; 03-29-2018 at 09:40 AM.

MarshallR PC Specs
    MotherboardR5E10
    Processori7-5960X @ 3.95
    Sound CardSupremeFX
    MonitorASUS PA328Q
    CaseCorsair 900D
    OS Win 10

Yes you can run WQHD @ 144 with 444. WQHD is closer to FHD than 4K so there's plenty of bandwidth. Obviously not being native resolution will make it a little fuzzy.

Generally speaking the faster you push a panel the color space decreases because you don't give the pixel enough time to illuminate accurately: that's why respectively PA's are 'slow'. But with Quantum Dot the PG can still push up to 90% DCI-P3, which is a considerably wide color space. These are good questions and I will check-in with the product team.

The overclocking is something we add - it requires a monitor reboot to enable the extra mode because it's an "add-on" ROG input into the firmware. 60-120 can be changed on the fly.

Thank you very much for your answers...

Sounds good -

but if i understand right, than the pg27uq can be overclocked to more than 144hz if the resolution is lower? (165hz maybe even 200hz?)

Although it seems to be an option your own opinion is - if i understand right - that running a monitor in lower refreshrates will be more color-accurate?

When speaking DCI-P3 it means, that the pg27uq is able to show a very large color-space (90% DCI-P3) at 120hz,
    but decreasing if running at 144hz? Or are these measurements done at 60hz?

Also what negative effects does a 4:2:2 Chroma Subsampling have - in comparision to Full Chroma (which means RGB, right?) ?

Also i'm interested in the bit-precision of the pg27uq...
    Will it be able to show 4k @ 120hz with 10bit color?
    And is the pg27uq a real 10bit panel - or is it 8bit + FRC?
    And will any GTX 10xx output 'real' 10bit?

Hell - are games even able to output 10bit color?
    Or will the gpu/panel interpolate colors (Dithering?) if source material is 8bit?

uff... many questions i have - sorry for that -
    but it is a very interesting product with a very high price-tag!

Can you even confirm what ASUS GERMANY said to journalists about the price they aim at?
    (They aimed at 1999€ but are now raising it to 2499€ - that seems to be the official announcement, as many journalists were told by ASUS GER staff)
    can send a link - if needed - but wasn't sure, if it's allowed in this forum?!

Also on their official facebook-site, ASUS GERMANY confirmed, that PG27UQ will be available in may...
    Is that correct? and when and where can we order it?

Last question for now...
    As seen in videos on youtube from ces 2017 and ces 2018 there was a bit of haloing due to the FALD -
    especially in high contrast areas like mouse-movements over black background...
    and even the test-videos of the PA32UC(-K) show that 'problem'...

how fast will the FALD in PG27UQ react - is this haloing effect minimized/solved...
    is the latency of the LEDs faster then in PA32UC?
    (as this one is a 60hz panel, and the PG27UQ can more than double that refreshrate - maybe u 'overclocked' the LED's to react faster in that gaming panel?)

Again - thank you very much for any answer you can give

MarshallR PC Specs
    MotherboardR5E10
    Processori7-5960X @ 3.95
    Sound CardSupremeFX
    MonitorASUS PA328Q
    CaseCorsair 900D
    OS Win 10

144 is the max. It's 8bit+FRC.
    EDIT: Sorry I realize my mistake in the post above. Not sure where the error 165 came from.. that should not be there.
    In *theory* the longer you give a pixel to illuminate the more accurate it'll be so *generally speaking* professional grade displays are slower.
    The HDR ecosystem is less mature on PC at this time, but it will get better as time goes on.
    There's a lot of work happened since CES on the performance. There's an additional option in the OSD now to select the speed of the FALD.

I updated the thread title to reflect the new ETA

144 is the max. It's 8bit+FRC.
    EDIT: Sorry I realize my mistake in the post above. Not sure where the error 165 came from.. that should not be there.
    In *theory* the longer you give a pixel to illuminate the more accurate it'll be so *generally speaking* professional grade displays are slower.
    The HDR ecosystem is less mature on PC at this time, but it will get better as time goes on.
    There's a lot of work happened since CES on the performance. There's an additional option in the OSD now to select the speed of the FALD.

I updated the thread title to reflect the new ETA
    Wait. PG27UQ is not true 10-bit monitor?

Honestly I'm not very knowledgeable about this 8-bit, 10-bit thing but will it greatly affect HDR gaming and movie quality? I've seen 4K HDR TVs which claim to be true 10-bit for a while so I'm just surprised PG27UQ is not.

Page 4 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast