CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X52
    CaseCorsair 570X
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    Headset Sennheiser PC 363D
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    I dont know I have PG27UQ, he has X27. Maybe X27 has more halo effect.
    People that have problems with the panel seem to be getting the the x27, regardless if it is about the panel (regarding halo-ing/BLB/IPS glow) or about the frame of the panel (such as the fan or vesa mounting). It genuinely looks like Asus's version has less problems. The PG27UQ objectively seems to have a better built frame. Maybe the panel itself is more optimized, because it has several more licenses than the Acer x27.

You can get rid of BLB if the panel and frame is put together very well, so maybe Asus had better QC control for making a more optimal experience? (What makes me think like this is because of how some people send in their PG279Q for RMA cause of dust or deadpixels or BLB, and it comes back without a hint of BLB, very little IPS glow, and any problems. It's almost like there's a factor of whether or not the company is willing to be careful/precise.)

There may very well be a quality difference between the panels because of what I mentioned, unless if someone can say I am incorrect while referring to something credible. I base my assumptions on what we have been seeing on this forum, along with overclock forums, youtube videos, and reddit posts.
    Last edited by kevinmaster5000; 06-21-2018 at 03:36 PM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

well gl guys since I got my monitor I will be off these forums, back later if any issue pops up..

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmaster5000 View Post
    There may very well be a quality difference between the panels because of what I mentioned...
    In comparison the PG279Q had a lot more issues with CQ than Acer Xb27...

Maybe this time it is the other way around...

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I Just ordered the Asus

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Sichtwechsel86 View Post
    don't get me wrong -
    but i really think that the acer x27 - as it is right now - has some real world problems!

the combination of BLB, haloing and a loud fan (that sometimes was louder than my gaminglaptop at full force) can't be ignored at this price -
    and i thought hard and long about refunding it or just exchanging it due to dead pixel, blb etc...
    as the other german reviewer: i was on the edge about this monitor - due to its price, my own financial background and my personal situation (exams, etc...)
    i hoped that i would end up thinking: ok - i love this monitor and 2500€ is much, but i love it too much, to give it back!
    but i found myself justifying it's flaws and trying to convince myself to keep it!
    and because i had to send it back anyways because of a defect stand and dead pixel - i decided to just return it and get my money back and wait a bit longer,
    until maybe they fixed some of the problems, tweaked the firmware (blackcrush, purple screen via HDMI2.0 sometimes when using HDR, loud fan, etc etc...)

and believe me - i am crying, because i can't play hdr games right now...
    but then again: i am in the preperations for my exams - and don't have time until october to play games anyways...
    the last two weeks i was able to play 2 rounds of conquest in BF1 - and spending maybe 4-5 hours with inspecting the Acer X27...

and just from logical thinking:
    smaller leds and more dimming zones will improve haloing up to a point where it doesn't take away much from the enjoyment
    but right now - it does - for me at least! so this is perfectly subjective!
    also i think they will tweak the GSync scaler and the fan - and eventually the FALD algorithm for better usage!

if you are happy with your monitor it's perfectly fine -
    enjoy it - have fun - i am a bit jealous of course

but for now i have to study hard -
    and after it i will lay in bed and enjoy PS4pro and Netflix (if i have time after my exams) on my OLED in HDR (based on support) -
    probably i will then have to play God of war and Detroit first... which are already installed - and waiting for me...
    maybe i just fall asleep and don't wake up for three days - this exams are so exhausting i can tell you...
    and i would like to play Shadow of the Tomb Raider and BFV (coming in september/october) in HDR on PC too -
    but i highly doubt that i even will have the time to finish GoW and Detroit until my holiday-week closes and the next semester starts -
    leaving me with no time at all to play games until the next semester holidays - which will be in February 2019...

and february 2019 - when i finally have time to play games again -
    is not far from a speculated release of second gen GSync HDR monitors according to the posted article...

it seems to be better to wait until second gen... for me...
    Don't be so sure of Shadow of Tomb Raider supporting HDR on PC. Square Enix still hasn't released a HDR patch for Rise of Tomb Raider on PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikorasu95 View Post
    Don't be so sure of Shadow of Tomb Raider supporting HDR on PC. Square Enix still hasn't released a HDR patch for Rise of Tomb Raider on PC.
    Many games on pc didn't receive a HDR patch - while their console counterparts got one...
    (Gears of War 4, The Witcher, Forza 5+Horizon 3, Rise of the TR, etc etc...)

but i think newer AAA titles will ALL support HDR on every platform
    (like BFV, Anthem, Shadow of Mordor, etc etc...)

ROG Member Array

Alright just got it in the mail and hooked it up.

So far I am very very impressed.

But first....

Bad News: I have a small tiny vertical line of stuck/dead pixels in the extreme bottom right corner of the screen. Looks more like shipping damage (the fedex guy literally chucked the monitor at my door with the box smashing against the concrete ground in front of my door....)but it's so tiny it never comes up in gameplay or browsing or anything else. If you had to have a set of stuck pixels somewhere on the screen, they are in the best spot for that. No dead or stuck pixels other than that. If it was anywhere else on the screen this would be an instant RMA but in this case, it's not really critical enough to bother even at $2000. Would rather just stick with this near perfect screen but again, that is just me.

Good news:

a)It came pre-colored calibrated out of the box which was awesome.

b) YES it will do 1440p and 1080p at 120Hz. I haven't tried overclocking to 144Hz yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't be able to do that either. The chroma stuff is just as everyone says: 4:4:4 at 120Hz SDR, 4:4:4 at 98Hz HDR, and 4:2:2 at 120Hz HDR. I really can't see much of a difference between 98Hz and 120Hz chroma at least in Battlefield 1 in-game.

c) My fan is pretty much dead quiet. I really have to strain and focus in to hear it. I could easily mistake it for a gpu or case fan. Not an issue at all. Won't be an issue for anyone wearing a headset and communicating with a mic.

d) The FALD backlight really really lights stuff up. This thing can get BRIGHT!!! My OLED TV still has it beat in terms of color reproduction and perfect blacks, but colors really 'pop' and the black are much much MUCH deeper than on a PG279Q.

Personal opinion: In terms of gaming on this vs. an OLED I would choose this just due to the brightness but again, personal preference.

e) FALD backlight blooming and lag is not really a problem. The only time I've noticed it so far is in BF1 with HDR mode on. The bloom is surrounding the mouse cursor and fps counter against a near pitch black background. Not noticeable at all with normal desktop use or in-game. Very very slightly noticeable with HDR set to on in windows and moving a mouse cursor against a black background, but again you have to strain to really see it.

f) 4K at 27" is awesome and a HUGE step above 1440p in my opinion. The extra dpi you get with a smaller screen really is cool. Some people might not like that, but the monitor at least has the appearance of the pixel density of a decent quality cell phone screen which is something I've wanted in a display for a very long time.

g) Backlight bleed and IPS glow I haven't really tested but I have not noticed anything jump out at me with both with the FALD on or off. I'm sure there's some IPS glow somewhere but nothing at all like my old PG279Q where you could pick it out during normal daily usage.

So that's my first impressions. Still a lot more testing and time I need to spend with this thing as it hasn't even been plugged in for more than an hour so far.

**Also, in the OSD, there's an option called "Display SDR input" with an option for 'sRGB' or 'wide gamut'. I'm not quite sure what to select as sRGB seems more accurate with muted colors, but the wide gamut mode makes colors really pop (but seems slightly oversaturated).

Feel free to ask more questions or suggest specific things to test. Will consider doing side by side comparisons of this vs. other screen types if people really want to see that. Will try playing some Xbox One games on this thing now and will report back with more info tonight or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewiie View Post
    Alright just got it in the mail and hooked it up.

So far I am very very impressed.

But first....

Bad News: I have a small tiny vertical line of stuck/dead pixels in the extreme bottom right corner of the screen. Looks more like shipping damage (the fedex guy literally chucked the monitor at my door with the box smashing against the concrete ground in front of my door....)but it's so tiny it never comes up in gameplay or browsing or anything else. If you had to have a set of stuck pixels somewhere on the screen, they are in the best spot for that. No dead or stuck pixels other than that. If it was anywhere else on the screen this would be an instant RMA but in this case, it's not really critical enough to bother even at $2000. Would rather just stick with this near perfect screen but again, that is just me.

Good news:

a)It came pre-colored calibrated out of the box which was awesome.

b) YES it will do 1440p and 1080p at 120Hz. I haven't tried overclocking to 144Hz yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't be able to do that either. The chroma stuff is just as everyone says: 4:4:4 at 120Hz SDR, 4:4:4 at 98Hz HDR, and 4:2:2 at 120Hz HDR. I really can't see much of a difference between 98Hz and 120Hz chroma at least in Battlefield 1 in-game.

c) My fan is pretty much dead quiet. I really have to strain and focus in to hear it. I could easily mistake it for a gpu or case fan. Not an issue at all. Won't be an issue for anyone wearing a headset and communicating with a mic.

d) The FALD backlight really really lights stuff up. This thing can get BRIGHT!!! My OLED TV still has it beat in terms of color reproduction and perfect blacks, but colors really 'pop' and the black are much much MUCH deeper than on a PG279Q.

Personal opinion: In terms of gaming on this vs. an OLED I would choose this just due to the brightness but again, personal preference.

e) FALD backlight blooming and lag is not really a problem. The only time I've noticed it so far is in BF1 with HDR mode on. The bloom is surrounding the mouse cursor and fps counter against a near pitch black background. Not noticeable at all with normal desktop use or in-game. Very very slightly noticeable with HDR set to on in windows and moving a mouse cursor against a black background, but again you have to strain to really see it.

f) 4K at 27" is awesome and a HUGE step above 1440p in my opinion. The extra dpi you get with a smaller screen really is cool. Some people might not like that, but the monitor at least has the appearance of the pixel density of a decent quality cell phone screen which is something I've wanted in a display for a very long time.

g) Backlight bleed and IPS glow I haven't really tested but I have not noticed anything jump out at me with both with the FALD on or off. I'm sure there's some IPS glow somewhere but nothing at all like my old PG279Q where you could pick it out during normal daily usage.

So that's my first impressions. Still a lot more testing and time I need to spend with this thing as it hasn't even been plugged in for more than an hour so far.

**Also, in the OSD, there's an option called "Display SDR input" with an option for 'sRGB' or 'wide gamut'. I'm not quite sure what to select as sRGB seems more accurate with muted colors, but the wide gamut mode makes colors really pop (but seems slightly oversaturated).

Feel free to ask more questions or suggest specific things to test. Will consider doing side by side comparisons of this vs. other screen types if people really want to see that. Will try playing some Xbox One games on this thing now and will report back with more info tonight or tomorrow.
    if you play the LG chess demo, does the haloing look as bad as the pic I showed earlier from Lim's Cave review of Acer X27?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by deadchip12 View Post
    if you play the LG chess demo, does the haloing look as bad as the pic I showed earlier from Lim's Cave review of Acer X27?

Probably 'worse' if I was to just go off a cell phone camera shot but I have no idea what camera he shot screen caps of that demo with, what the settings were on his particular monitor, etc.

And that was with hdr on windows set to on and the brightness cranked up to the absolute maximum. There's a settting called 'Reference White (nits) in the Asus OSD that defaults to 80 but goes up to 300. It almost feels like you're searing your retina with anything above 150.

The bloom doesn't look that drastic at all to the naked eye and is very overblown in pictures.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array kevinmaster5000 PC Specs
    kevinmaster5000 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG MAXIMUS IX CODE
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 16GB 3000MHz CL15
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    MonitorSamsung C27HG70
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB
    Storage #2Mushkin Enhanced Reactor SSD 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X52
    CaseCorsair 570X
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    Headset Sennheiser PC 363D
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Chewiie View Post
    Probably 'worse' if I was to just go off a cell phone camera shot but I have no idea what camera he shot screen caps of that demo with, what the settings were on his particular monitor, etc.

And that was with hdr on windows set to on and the brightness cranked up to the absolute maximum. There's a settting called 'Reference White (nits) in the Asus OSD that defaults to 80 but goes up to 300. It almost feels like you're searing your retina with anything above 150.

The bloom doesn't look that drastic at all to the naked eye and is very overblown in pictures.
    Would you be able to measure the length of the cables it comes with (the Displayport 1.4 and the power cable)?
    Also, I would fully get those pixels fixed, you paid for it, might as well get what you paid for.

Page 122 of 165 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 132 ... LastLast