CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X52
    CaseCorsair 570X
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    Headset Sennheiser PC 363D
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by bubba123 View Post
    I have to agree with you I am very happy with what I Received and I hate having to make returns on monitors it seems asus has done a good job with this display.
    They obviously did not do a good job with this display. There's too much dissent towards the monitors. While every monitor has their own compromises, this monitor has a few in particular that make it a terrible buy. However, I personally didnt care that I was wasting my money, I wanted the best. I bought the monitor. However I was disappointed by the features the monitor had. I'll list all the problems I had (other than chroma subsampling, blackcrushing, and being not true 10bit).

Keep in mind I exchanged the monitor and got a second one, so these are just flaws presented in both.

1) The BLB is still there, even with FALD on. It matters. Turn off FALD, find where the lighting uniformity is the worst, turn on FALD, hover your mouse there on a dark visual, you will notice is big time. This is another AUO problem

2) For some reason, on very occasional circumstances (but is definitely noteworthy to mention), on both the panels, when I had a black visual on a white background, I sometimes saw yellowing of the white (close to the black visual). This happened times such as that "HDR turning on" sign on top of Destiny 2 white intro, or even in this Asus forums where it's black background and white text (But I saw it only happen once here). This is another AUO problem.

3) The fans are just loud. I am in no means in a quiet setup. I have a very typical bedroom, with a very normal ambient noise. If my A/C is off, the fan is loud. I am sensitive to high pitch (good hearing). The monitor has 2 laptop fans and are always right infront of your face. They have to spin a lot faster to achieve similar cooling as a high quality fan, resulting in more noise and a higher pitch noise. I have my PC on my desk, to my right, while the monitor is infront of me. No idea why it's louder than my PC. With or without headphones, it was always audible. This is a big con as to why they didnt use a high performance fan. A bad move by Asus.

4) For some reason, the I would hear the fans on the back just speed up for absolutely no reason. I would just be reading some news and I hear my fans speeding up and slowing down every 20 seconds. This was not a constant thing, but sometimes it would happen out of nowhere and keep happening for an hour. I have a cool room too. I would say an Asus problem due to a bad fan curve and lack of software for user customization.

5) This is a problem that may or may not happen in the future, but with other monitors and TVs in the past that had fans inside, they were known to clog up and have problems, particularly as soon as the warranty finished. That's something to keep in mind.

6) My lights aren't always on. When it starts to get dark outside, but I dont need my lights on yet, I start to notice some blooming due to the decrease in ambient light. This is a flaw in only having 384 zones. This is the limitations of tech and hopefully will be reduced greatly with miniLED.

The screen itself is the best there is right now. But there are too many compromises for the money. So it was very easy for me to return it. HDR is the main selling point as to why this is over 1000$ more expensive than other monitors. There's very few games that even use HDR.

The tech of this monitor is still very primitive and ridiculous amount of room to improve. The GSync modules can easily be reduced in cost in future generations, and when yield of these monitors increase, I see the price dropping drastically.

In conclusion, I see the monitor as too rushed and having too many compromises for it's value. Even if you want the best panel in existance and dont care about your money at all, you will have to do one of two things when dealing with the problems of the monitor; be ignorant when someone askes you if the panel has any problems, or be honest and mention how you dont care that your 2000$ monitor has numerous easily addressable problems. Then you can actually enjoy your panel! Play HDR on those 2 games you own that even have HDR, or just play fortnite at 80fps.
    Last edited by kevinmaster5000; 07-24-2018 at 10:24 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmaster5000 View Post
    They obviously did not do a good job with this display. There's too much dissent towards the monitors. While every monitor has their own compromises, this monitor has a few in particular that make it a terrible buy. However, I personally didnt care that I was wasting my money, I wanted the best. I bought the monitor. However I was disappointed by the features the monitor had. I'll list all the problems I had (other than chroma subsampling, blackcrushing, and being not true 10bit).

Keep in mind I exchanged the monitor and got a second one, so these are just flaws presented in both.

1) The BLB is still there, even with FALD on. It matters. Turn off FALD, find where the lighting uniformity is the worst, turn on FALD, hover your mouse there on a dark visual, you will notice is big time. This is another AUO problem

2) For some reason, on verry occasionaly circumstances (but is definitely noteworthy to mention), on both the panels, when I had a black visual on a white background, I sometimes saw yellowing of the white (close to the black visual). This happened times such as that "HDR turning on" sign on top of Destiny 2 white intro, or even in this Asus forums where it's black background and white text (But I saw it only happen once here). This is another AUO problem.

3) The fans are just loud. I am in no means in a quiet setup. I have a very typical bedroom, with a very normal ambient noise. If my A/C is off, the fan is loud. I am sensitive to high pitch (good hearing). The monitor has 2 laptop fans and are always right infront of your face. They have to spin a lot faster to achieve similar cooling as a high quality fan, resulting in more noise and a higher pitch noise. I have my PC on my desk, to my right, while the monitor is infront of me. No idea why it's louder than my PC. With or without headphones, it was always audible This is a big con as to why they didnt use a high performance fan. A bad move by Asus.

4) For some reason, the I would hear the fans on the back just speed up for absolutely no reason. I would just be reading some news and I hear my fans speeding up and slowing down every 20 seconds. This was not a constant thing, but sometimes it would happen out of nowhere and keep happening for an hour. I have a cool room too. I would say an Asus problem due to a bad fan curve and lack of software for user customization.

5) This is a problem that may or may not happen in the future, but with other monitors and TVs in the past that had fans inside, they were known to clog up and have problems, particularly as soon as the warranty finished. That's something to keep in mind.

6) My lights aren't always on. When it starts to get dark outside, but I dont need my lights on yet, I start to notice some blooming due to the decrease in ambient light. This is a flaw in only having 384 zones. This is the limitations of tech and hopefully will be reduced greatly with miniLED.

The screen itself is the best there is right now. But there are too many compromises for the money. So it was very easy for me to return it. HDR is the main selling point as to why this is over 1000$ more expensive than other monitors. There's very few games that even use HDR.

The tech of this monitor is still very primitive and ridiculous amount of room to improve. The GSync modules can easily be reduced in cost in future generations, and when yield of these monitors increase, I see the price dropping drastically.

In conclusion, I see the monitor as too rushed and having too many compromises for it's value. Even if you want the best panel in existance and dont care about your money at all, you will have to do one of two things when dealing with the problems of the monitor; be ignorant when someone askes you if the panel has any problems, or be honest and mention how you dont care that your 2000$ monitor has numerous easily addressable problems. Then you can actually enjoy your panel! Play HDR on those 2 games you own that even have HDR, or just play fortnite at 80fps.
    I didn't even ask for hdr support in this monitor just having it is a bonus for me I have like 700+ steam games in my library being able to go back and play old classics such as max payne 3 at 3 way sli titan xp getting over 100 fps at 4k is an amazing experience https://imgur.com/a/AsKQrPY

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array kevinmaster5000 PC Specs
    kevinmaster5000 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG MAXIMUS IX CODE
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 16GB 3000MHz CL15
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    MonitorSamsung C27HG70
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB
    Storage #2Mushkin Enhanced Reactor SSD 1TB
    CaseCorsair 570X
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by bubba123 View Post
    I didn't even ask for hdr support in this monitor just having it is a bonus for me I have like 700+ steam games in my library being able to go back and play old classics such as max payne 3 at 3 way sli titan xp getting over 100 fps at 4k is an amazing experience https://imgur.com/a/AsKQrPY
    Well if you care about money at all, there's supposed to be a non-HDR version next year. I guarantee it will be anywhere between 500-1000$ cheaper. I'm considering that for myself tbh. I bought a C27HG70 after i returned the PG27UQ so I can have more patience when waiting for a high end monitor. It's going to be that non-HDR version or the miniLED monitor for me.
    Last edited by kevinmaster5000; 07-24-2018 at 10:09 PM.

ROG Member Array Theknystar PC Specs
    Theknystar PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Z-87 deluxe
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Memory (part number)16GB ddr3 Dominator Platinum
    Graphics Card #1MSI DUKE 2080TI
    Graphics Card #2MSI DUKE 2080TI
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyZalman 1000 Watt
    Keyboard ASUS Cerberus
    Mouse Razer Tapain
    Headset Sennheiser RS165
    Mouse Pad ASUS Cerberus

So... about noise level.. here i took it with my "really sophisticated" phone. BTW its much more accurate than i expected. dont watch the max value because its spikes if i touch the phone. The graph is telling everything.

So heres the monitor. I placed the phone RIGHT ABOVE the monitor. i also started talking randomly... not too loud, like a normal person woulrd (you can see the spike to 50-60db). I also run some 4K content on it for 20 min for kinda rump up
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monitor.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	74828

Here is my PC this is "idle". when i start playing its reaching 55+Db easily.. yea its loud and the cards are not water cooled etc. but since i have closed headphones i dont here it when i game. but its not about my PC now... )

Name:	mypc.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	74829

http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.co...e-examples.htm

Its really only subjective what is loud to somebody and what is not. Somebody wont accept this somebody will.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array briansu PC Specs
    briansu PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen (Dolby Vision screen)
    MotherboardASUS Z270 Maximus IX Formula
    Processori7-7700K 4.5 GHz
    Memory (part number)64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz @ CL 14
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING
    Graphics Card #2EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Storage #2HGST Ultrastar He12 Helium
    CPU CoolerEK-Supremacy EVO - Gold
    CaseCorsair Obsidian Series™ 750D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i Digital ATX Power Supply
    Keyboard Ducky Channel Shine 5 Mechanical Keyboard Cherry MX Switch RGB Lighting - Brown
    Mouse Logitech G903
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus Speed Terra
    OS Window 10 Pro 64-Bit
    Accessory #1 LG BH16NS55

2) For some reason, on very occasional circumstances (but is definitely noteworthy to mention), on both the panels, when I had a black visual on a white background, I sometimes saw yellowing of the white (close to the black visual). This happened times such as that "HDR turning on" sign on top of Destiny 2 white intro, or even in this Asus forums where it's black background and white text (But I saw it only happen once here). This is another AUO problem.

3) The fans are just loud. I am in no means in a quiet setup. I have a very typical bedroom, with a very normal ambient noise. If my A/C is off, the fan is loud. I am sensitive to high pitch (good hearing). The monitor has 2 laptop fans and are always right infront of your face. They have to spin a lot faster to achieve similar cooling as a high quality fan, resulting in more noise and a higher pitch noise. I have my PC on my desk, to my right, while the monitor is infront of me. No idea why it's louder than my PC. With or without headphones, it was always audible. This is a big con as to why they didnt use a high performance fan. A bad move by Asus.

yes I agree there are lots of issues. This will be displayed in museums in the future with the label the world’s first HDR G-Sync..... but it suffered from bla bla bla. It’s the first and thus naturally have problems.

Once again it’s all about timing. There are some who can wait and others who can’t as they need such a monitor now when there isn’t an alternative.

Let’s not forget there is also the option of buying this now and upgrading later.

Thanks for pointing out the yellow colour over white issue. I have this problem over almost any single colour, it seems to be a little blueish at the corners of white boxes. I think it only happens in HDR mode though.

By the way, how to turn local dimming on and off???

Lastly I want to say you’re making it sound like there are very few HDR games for PC. There are loads more than that for sure. My old ones that do are Battlefield 1, F1 2017 and Assassins Creed Origins just to name a few.*
    ASUS Z270 Maximus IX Formula / i7-7700K 4.5GHz / EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING / ASUS PG27UQ / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz @ CL 14 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB / HGST Ultrastar He12 Helium / LG BH16NS55 / Corsair AX1200i / Window 10 Pro 64-Bit

3DMark Results

Time Spy 1.0 SLI ENABLED = 13,575

http://bit.ly/2rEWbTT
    Fire Strike 1.1 Extreme Edition SLI ENABLED = 19,563
    http://bit.ly/2rqdhb6
    Fire Strike 1.1 Extreme Edition SLI DISABLED = 12,750
    http://bit.ly/2qL2IMW

Theknystar PC Specs
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard ASUS Cerberus
    Mouse Razer Tapain
    Headset Sennheiser RS165
    Mouse Pad ASUS Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by briansu View Post
    yes I agree there are lots of issues. This will be displayed in museums in the future with the label the world’s first HDR G-Sync..... but it suffered from bla bla bla. It’s the first and thus naturally have problems.

Once again it’s all about timing. There are some who can wait and others who can’t as they need such a monitor now when there isn’t an alternative.

Let’s not forget there is also the option of buying this now and upgrading later.

Thanks for pointing out the yellow colour over white issue. I have this problem over almost any single colour, it seems to be a little blueish at the corners of white boxes. I think it only happens in HDR mode though.

Lastly I want to say you’re making it sound like there are very few HDR games for PC. There are loads more than that for sure. My old ones that do are Battlefield 1, F1 2017 and Assassins Creed Origins just to name a few.*
    I agree, this is the first of its kind and this is what you can call innovation! Not like a phone with 1000$ price tag on it and yea... the camera is better than before... hurray . imo first tesla have horrible distance capability but it was the first and it was groundbreaking and people bought it.

This is not an investment, this is not a good value monitor. I have high doubt that an IPS panel could be much better than this therefore im only gonna change this monitor if a valid miniled microled or whatever new innovation comes.

Simply in the monitor menu. "variable backlight" on or off:
    since you asked this im most certain you checked your bleeding with this turned on. (you wont see much bleeding if its turned on). You might want to test it again with this turned off.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array briansu PC Specs
    briansu PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen (Dolby Vision screen)
    MotherboardASUS Z270 Maximus IX Formula
    Processori7-7700K 4.5 GHz
    Memory (part number)64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz @ CL 14
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING
    Graphics Card #2EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Storage #2HGST Ultrastar He12 Helium
    CPU CoolerEK-Supremacy EVO - Gold
    CaseCorsair Obsidian Series™ 750D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i Digital ATX Power Supply
    Keyboard Ducky Channel Shine 5 Mechanical Keyboard Cherry MX Switch RGB Lighting - Brown
    Mouse Logitech G903
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus Speed Terra
    OS Window 10 Pro 64-Bit
    Accessory #1 LG BH16NS55

Quote Originally Posted by Theknystar View Post
    I agree, this is the first of its kind and this is what you can call innovation! Not like a phone with 1000$ price tag on it and yea... the camera is better than before... hurray . imo first tesla have horrible distance capability but it was the first and it was groundbreaking and people bought it.

This is not an investment, this is not a good value monitor. I have high doubt that an IPS panel could be much better than this therefore im only gonna change this monitor if a valid miniled microled or whatever new innovation comes.

since you asked this im most certain you checked your bleeding with this turned on. (you wont see much bleeding if its turned on). You might want to test it again with this turned off.
    Hmmm so I need to be in SDR mode with variable backlight off to check for bleeding? I'll give that a go tonight. Thanks.
    ASUS Z270 Maximus IX Formula / i7-7700K 4.5GHz / EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING / ASUS PG27UQ / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz @ CL 14 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB / HGST Ultrastar He12 Helium / LG BH16NS55 / Corsair AX1200i / Window 10 Pro 64-Bit

3DMark Results

Time Spy 1.0 SLI ENABLED = 13,575

http://bit.ly/2rEWbTT
    Fire Strike 1.1 Extreme Edition SLI ENABLED = 19,563
    http://bit.ly/2rqdhb6
    Fire Strike 1.1 Extreme Edition SLI DISABLED = 12,750
    http://bit.ly/2qL2IMW

ROG Guru: White Belt Array ELIESEH PC Specs
    ELIESEH PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-6900K
    Memory (part number)CMK32GX4M4A2400C14
    Graphics Card #1ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G
    MonitorACER XB271HU
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 960 EVO 256 GB
    Storage #2Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB
    CPU CoolerHydro Series™ H115i
    CaseNZXT Phantom 820
    Power SupplyCooler Master V1000
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2
    Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite
    Headset ASUS Cerberus
    Mouse Pad QcK
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterASUS RT-N66U

Your are right.
    Last edited by ELIESEH; 07-25-2018 at 02:38 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array kevinmaster5000 PC Specs
    kevinmaster5000 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG MAXIMUS IX CODE
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 16GB 3000MHz CL15
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    MonitorSamsung C27HG70
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB
    Storage #2Mushkin Enhanced Reactor SSD 1TB
    CaseCorsair 570X
    Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
    OS Windows 10

So... about noise level.. here i took it with my "really sophisticated" phone. BTW its much more accurate than i expected. dont watch the max value because its spikes if i touch the phone. The graph is telling everything.

So heres the monitor. I placed the phone RIGHT ABOVE the monitor. i also started talking randomly... not too loud, like a normal person woulrd (you can see the spike to 50-60db). I also run some 4K content on it for 20 min for kinda rump up

Name:	monitor.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	74828

Here is my PC this is "idle". when i start playing its reaching 55+Db easily.. yea its loud and the cards are not water cooled etc. but since i have closed headphones i dont here it when i game. but its not about my PC now... )

Name:	mypc.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	74829

http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.co...e-examples.htm

Its really only subjective what is loud to somebody and what is not. Somebody wont accept this somebody will.
    Percieved loudness is subjective, but not as much as you think. One flaw with this is you're not able to capture the frequency of the noise. A high performance fan can have similar decibels at a very low frequency. Low frequency would be just the wind moving through the fan noise. These fans have a high pitch noise compared to normal fans, which most definitely would be a higher than average frequency. You would need something professional to measure that. So your phone has a difficult time accurately measured percieved loudness, it's a very flawed method of measuring.

This is why people are annoyed with the particular fan in the monitor. A lot of people, including myself, are asking for a better fan inside. Humans tend to appreciate low frequency noise than high frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by briansu View Post

There's like ~40 games with HDR. Most of them not being popular. Most of them not owned by a single consumer. Just looking around, people have at most 5ish games with HDR. Almost no one has more than 10.

A bigger issue is that almost no one have more than a few HDR games they play most of the time (there's only so much time you can spend on a game like assassins creed). Most popular games are stuff with multiplayer and a competitive mode, whether it be an MMO like Dota or FPS like csgo. The only popular games like that with HDR are like battlefield, COD, and some racing games.

There was one more issue with the monitor, and it was like reverse blooming??? Limscave showed it properly, but a moving object on the edge would seem darker. If you move a window to the left, the left edge of the window will be dark, almost as if the local dimming is really slow (i had it on extreme speed). Believe it or not, after I noticed it, I was super annoyed about it.
    Last edited by kevinmaster5000; 07-25-2018 at 04:49 PM.

Theknystar PC Specs
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard ASUS Cerberus
    Mouse Razer Tapain
    Headset Sennheiser RS165
    Mouse Pad ASUS Cerberus

Percieved loudness is subjective, but not as much as you think. One flaw with this is you're not able to capture the frequency of the noise. A high performance fan can have similar decibels at a very low frequency. Low frequency would be just the wind moving through the fan noise. These fans have a high pitch noise compared to normal fans, which most definitely would be a higher than average frequency. You would need something professional to measure that. So your phone has a difficult time accurately measured percieved loudness, it's a very flawed method of measuring.

This is why people are annoyed with the particular fan in the monitor. A lot of people, including myself, are asking for a better fan inside. Humans tend to appreciate low frequency noise than high frequency.

There's like ~40 games with HDR. Most of them not being popular. Most of them not own by a single consumer. Just looking around, people have at most 5ish games with HDR. Almost no one has more than 10.

A bigger issue is that almost no one have more than a few HDR games they play most of the time (there's only so much time you can spend on a game like assassins creed). Most popular games are stuff with multiplayer and a competitive mode, whether it be an MMO like Dota or FPS like csgo. The only popular games like that with HDR are like battlefield, COD, and some racing games.

There was one more issue with the monitor, and it was like reverse blooming??? Limscave showed it properly, but a moving object on the edge would seem darker. If you move a window to the left, the left edge of the window will be dark, almost as if the local dimming is really slow (i had it on extreme speed). Believe it or not, after I noticed it, I was super annoyed about it.
    you are 100% right about that my measure is flawed. Also i have 100% different experience with noise since my pc suppresses the monitor fan even on idle. I can understand why people go crazy about it if you have everything quieter around your environment. i agree, i dont think anybody would have gone mad about an extra 30$ for a really nice quality fan inside.

I seen that on limscave video as well but i dont see that reverse blooming on mine, i have it on extreme too. What other settings do you have?

Also i just noticed that if i turn off the monitor with the power button the fan still spins. any idea?

Page 152 of 165 FirstFirst ... 52 102 142 150 151 152 153 154 162 ... LastLast