Page 120 of 166 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 118 119 120 121 122 130 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1651

Thread: Pg27uq

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chewiie View Post
    I got a PG27UQ coming tomorrow from newegg.

Ask me questions of stuff you guys want covered.
    I don't have a colorimeter so any real specifics on color details or peak brightness will be out of the question.

I could potentially do a side by side comparison of the thing next to a PG279Q, an Alienware TN panel, and an OLED TV but not sure if it would be worth it as all I got is a cell phone vid camera. I think it can shoot in HDR though.

(And no, I refuse to see if hdr mode works in Fortnite with some edited config file because that game is terrible and you can probably get an answer to that question on a Fortnite specific forum where many people using HDR TVs as monitors probably have an answer to that. Even if HDR can be enabled, it probably looks terrible like PUBGs console hdr mode where textures were never optimized to take advantage of hdr and everything just looks really really dark).
    -I think most of my concerns are about how severe the haloing/blooming is when FALD & HDR are on. Please show some in-game extreme contrast scenario when a bright object is against a dark background (e.g. RE7, Outlast) and compare those with OLED, under both dark and brightly lit condition. See if the haloing is unnoticeable in brightly lit room. If you use cell phone camera pls check if you can lower the ISO closer to real life viewing before taking pictures or videos.

-Please turn on FALD in SDR games and compare with PG279Q to see if FALD brings any improvement or detriment to picture quality

-Compare HDR picture quality on the monitor vs OLED in general, under both dark and brightly lit condition. Any noticeable difference in color, contrast, brightness when you play games & watch movies?

-If you have consoles like PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, please connect it to the monitor and compare the HDR picture with OLED

-Other misc stuffs: do we need to turn on HDR in Windows to have HDR in games & movies? What is the best setting in monitor control panel & Nvidia control panel for SDR & HDR contents respectively?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by deadchip12; 06-21-2018 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkies View Post
    I would love to know for sure if the monitor supports 1440p and if so does it do 144hz?
    I wasn't even able to choose this resolution in the Nvidia control panel!

It was a big step between 1080p and then something with 2048 and after this one came 4K resolution...

i did not try custom resolution...
    but it seems that 1440p is not supported out of the box - which is just strange...

but maybe it was my connection or something...
    i had miniDP1.4-to-DP1.4 coming from my gaming laptop... which uses a gtx1060 (i had no other test pc at hand...)

someone please check this out and look, if you can choose 1440p in NCC...
    in games i also couldn't choose 1440p resolution...
    (tested with BF1, TESO, Fortnite and Vampyr)

Quote Originally Posted by deadchip12 View Post
    -I think most of my concerns are about how severe the haloing/blooming is when FALD & HDR are on. Please show some in-game extreme contrast scenario when a bright object is against a dark background (e.g. RE7, Outlast) and compare those with OLED, under both dark and brightly lit condition. See if the haloing is unnoticeable in brightly lit room. If you use cell phone camera pls check if you can lower the ISO closer to real life viewing before taking pictures or videos.

-Please turn on FALD in SDR games and compare with PG279Q to see if FALD brings any improvement or detriment to picture quality

-Compare HDR picture quality on the monitor vs OLED in general, under both dark and brightly lit condition. Any noticeable difference in color, contrast, brightness when you play games & watch movies?

-If you have consoles like PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, please connect it to the monitor and compare the HDR picture with OLED

-Other misc stuffs: do we need to turn on HDR in Windows to have HDR in games & movies? What is the best setting in monitor control panel & Nvidia control panel for SDR & HDR contents respectively?

Thanks in advance
    I tried everything except the comparison with my Acer Xb27 - but i know it very well...

So here are my answers:

Yes you can see haloing even in SDR and in a lit room!
    Not so much in the center of the screen, but more so if moving brighter objects in the edges of the screen...
    Especially annoying when moving mousecursor into the edges, where the monitor had severe backlightbleed!
    With Local Dimming OFF - this monitor looked worse than every other i had... the Local Dimming maskes the BLB!
    So i recommend to keep it ON and don't care too much about the blooming - if you can get over it!

Picture with FALD ON is improved, i even had the impression, that the contrast is enhanced by something like a filter or so...
    can't really tell what happens, but the image looks better with FALD ON! with FALD OFF it looked a bit bleach, and fine details got lost!

Comparing with OLED is easy:
    colors, contrast and everything looks better on OLED -
    the only thing this monitor takes the cake is in brightness...

Lights shining through open windows and sunlight over a scene looks more realistic with X27
    it's just brighter and can hold this brightness stable, where OLED dims down after a few seconds...

but in every other aspect... OLED wins!
    Imagine a dark scene with lots of stars in the sky...
    on OLED this will look clear and fine detail pops - the stars glow in the dark...
    on X27, these stars will look like our milkyway... lots of enhanced halos around them... to a point where the darkness is raised to a bleachy mass...
    (you can see an example like this in the review from lims cave - these pictures are NOT exaggerated!)

you can see that in normal lit room and in pure darkness... (it just sticks out a bit more, if sitting in a dark room)

playing games and watching movies is fine - no matter if PS4pro via HDMI or PC via DP1.4...
    HDR quality is good...
    but you have to understand: IPS looks different than OLED, as it looks different from VA and TN!
    it is like different technologies reproducing the same pictureinformation...
    like playing the same song on two pianos...
    it is different! you have to see it for yourself!

As for 'Switching ON HDR in windows'
    YES - you need to do this, if you want to watch HDR movies...
    DvDfab5 and VLC 3.0 don't notice, that your monitor is HDR capable, if this has not been done!
    Also for many games you need to sitch this ON too...

Switching ON HDR ingame, without switching it on in windows has brought up some issues...
    on the information panel of X27 it stayed at rec709/sRGB and (so it didn't change colorspace to rec2020) [tested with destiny]
    on BF1 there is only a switch for HDR saying AUTO/OFF and a second switch HDR10/DolbyVision - if you don't switch HDR ON in windows - the autofunction in BF1 won't work...

settings in OSD:

for SDR:

brightness - 100 or more (as you like)
    contrast - 50
    SDR sRGB - ON
    Local Dimming for SDR - ON
    Local Dimming mode - GAMING
    color temp - normal or warm (as you like)

everything else OFF!!! all other things do change the picture in a way you don't want....

for HDR:

brightness is not adjustable... (greyed out)
    everything else LEAVE IT ALONE; stick with settings like in SDR!

Nvidia Control Panel:

4K 120hz 8bit RGB for desktop use
    4K 120hz 8bit RGB for SDR gaming (gsync on if you like - will go up to 120hz)
    4K 98hz 10bit RGB for HDR gaming (gsync on if you like - will go up to 98hz)
    4K 24hz 8bit RGB for SDR movies
    4K 24hz 10bit RGB for HDR movies

i don't think overclocking on this panel is good due to black crushing if chroma-subsampling is used...!
    therefore - i don't recommend to use subsampling at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Sichtwechsel86 View Post
    I tried everything except the comparison with my Acer Xb27 - but i know it very well...

So here are my answers:

Yes you can see haloing even in SDR and in a lit room!
    Not so much in the center of the screen, but more so if moving brighter objects in the edges of the screen...
    Especially annoying when moving mousecursor into the edges, where the monitor had severe backlightbleed!
    With Local Dimming OFF - this monitor looked worse than every other i had... the Local Dimming maskes the BLB!
    So i recommend to keep it ON and don't care too much about the blooming - if you can get over it!

Picture with FALD ON is improved, i even had the impression, that the contrast is enhanced by something like a filter or so...
    can't really tell what happens, but the image looks better with FALD ON! with FALD OFF it looked a bit bleach, and fine details got lost!

Comparing with OLED is easy:
    colors, contrast and everything looks better on OLED -
    the only thing this monitor takes the cake is in brightness...

Lights shining through open windows and sunlight over a scene looks more realistic with X27
    it's just brighter and can hold this brightness stable, where OLED dims down after a few seconds...

but in every other aspect... OLED wins!
    Imagine a dark scene with lots of stars in the sky...
    on OLED this will look clear and fine detail pops - the stars glow in the dark...
    on X27, these stars will look like our milkyway... lots of enhanced halos around them... to a point where the darkness is raised to a bleachy mass...
    (you can see an example like this in the review from lims cave - these pictures are NOT exaggerated!)

you can see that in normal lit room and in pure darkness... (it just sticks out a bit more, if sitting in a dark room)

playing games and watching movies is fine - no matter if PS4pro via HDMI or PC via DP1.4...
    HDR quality is good...
    but you have to understand: IPS looks different than OLED, as it looks different from VA and TN!
    it is like different technologies reproducing the same pictureinformation...
    like playing the same song on two pianos...
    it is different! you have to see it for yourself!

As for 'Switching ON HDR in windows'
    YES - you need to do this, if you want to watch HDR movies...
    DvDfab5 and VLC 3.0 don't notice, that your monitor is HDR capable, if this has not been done!
    Also for many games you need to sitch this ON too...

Switching ON HDR ingame, without switching it on in windows has brought up some issues...
    on the information panel of X27 it stayed at rec709/sRGB and (so it didn't change colorspace to rec2020) [tested with destiny]
    on BF1 there is only a switch for HDR saying AUTO/OFF and a second switch HDR10/DolbyVision - if you don't switch HDR ON in windows - the autofunction in BF1 won't work...

settings in OSD:

for SDR:

brightness - 100 or more (as you like)
    contrast - 50
    SDR sRGB - ON
    Local Dimming for SDR - ON
    Local Dimming mode - GAMING
    color temp - normal or warm (as you like)

everything else OFF!!! all other things do change the picture in a way you don't want....

for HDR:

brightness is not adjustable... (greyed out)
    everything else LEAVE IT ALONE; stick with settings like in SDR!

Nvidia Control Panel:

4K 120hz 8bit RGB for desktop use
    4K 120hz 8bit RGB for SDR gaming (gsync on if you like - will go up to 120hz)
    4K 98hz 10bit RGB for HDR gaming (gsync on if you like - will go up to 98hz)
    4K 24hz 8bit RGB for SDR movies
    4K 24hz 10bit RGB for HDR movies

i don't think overclocking on this panel is good due to black crushing if chroma-subsampling is used...!
    therefore - i don't recommend to use subsampling at all!
    Thanks for the very detailed answer. It disappoints me a bit the picture quality cannot match OLED, which makes it very hard for me to decide whether to purchase this monitor or an OLED tv. OLED burn-in & auto brightness limiter is a big no-go for me though. If only Z9D came in at 55 inch size I would have purchased it right away.

Just wondering: why do you need to set 24hz in control panel for movies? Won't Gsync just sync the monitor refresh rate to match the source video? I think we can just leave the monitor at either 98Hz or 120/144Hz while watching movies. Also, will something weird happen if we set the monitor to 10 bit and watch SDR movies?

Miniled panels shipped in Q4 2018??? Is that shockingly soon? $5000 lol? **https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180619PD201.html
    As i said in the overclock-forum... everything will now go fast and using miniLEDs after GSync HDR is out is just a next step -
    if they really release MiniLED GSync HDR monitors by the end of this year -
    then i highly recommend WAIT FOR IT...

yes - Acer x27 and PG27uq look fine FOR NOW...
    but there is much room for improvements!
    especially in the dimming-zones!
    384 zones JUST IS NOT ENOUGH...

it helps with getting good contrast...

but the zones are just to big to do justice to small light-points...

like stars in a dark sky...
    or street laterns in front of a dark background...
    or whatever you could imagine...
    in these cases haloing is induced, because the light-points are smaller then the actual dimming zones are!

and the more light-points on a dark background you have - the more haloing will occure!

for these scenarios microLED and OLED and real QD are the only solution!
    but with miniLED and 1000 zones - it will get closer to ideal!

Acer X27 and PG27UQ are just NOT GOOD ENOUGH to fullfill the needs of complex scenes with dark and light next to each other...
    a dense starfield in a dark sky will look just as if you have raised your brightness to 100% because every dimming zone will be activated!
    so the perceived blacl-level is raised and the image looks bleach and less vibrant...

i watched Jessica Jones on X27 and there where many shots in a city at night...
    traffic lights and so on...
    and a dark area in the upper screen area...
    where the traffic lights are, the black level raised, every zone was emitting bright light, haloing occured to a point where it looked like clouding...
    and the upper screen was pitch black...
    yes - the traffic lights looked vibrant, but the cloud around them was just reducing the impression!

Thanks for the very detailed answer. It disappoints me a bit the picture quality cannot match OLED, which makes it very hard for me to decide whether to purchase this monitor or an OLED tv. OLED burn-in & auto brightness limiter is a big no-go for me though. If only Z9D came in at 55 inch size I would have purchased it right away.

Just wondering: why do you need to set 24hz in control panel for movies? Won't Gsync just sync the monitor refresh rate to match the source video? I think we can just leave the monitor at either 98Hz or 120/144Hz while watching movies. Also, will something weird happen if we set the monitor to 10 bit and watch SDR movies?
    i thought the same - but even if hardwareacceleration is used to watch movies... gsync won't work...
    no matter if gsync is used in fullscreen-mode or windowed-and-fullscreen-mode
    and no matter if POwerDVD, DvDfab5 or VLC is used for playback...

the yellow number showing the refreshrate of the monitor did NOT change to 24hz...
    maybe because gsync works in a range from 30-120/144hz but even if watching a 60fps video... gsync did not change the refreshrate...

i really don't know why...

but on my Acer Xb27 i witnessed the same!

if playing games in windows mode it worked!
    If playing games in FullScreen it worked!

maybe it has to do with 3D rendering -
    and movies are just 2D rendering

you could of course just use 120hz (because 24x5=120) but for my eyes it induced stuttering sometimes...
    so i set 24hz manually every time i watch a movie...
    and i just turn on gsync, if i play games... and not in desktop mode!

As for setting 10bit - yes...
    something weird will happen..

monitor and/or GPU is interpolating new colors to fullfill a spectrum of 1024 shades (Red Green and Blue) if using 8 bit material...
    it is like using rec2020 if showing sRGB sources...
    the values don't match and gpu/monitor have a hard time to adjust source - which will change the overall look...
    leading to mismatched colors and oversturated reds greens and blues...

it is a bit hard to understand what happens...
    i had to study color-perception for my physiology-course at the university and as a side effect i read everything i could to find out how color-spaces work, and why sRGB looks so colorful if using rec2020 on my TV...

to put it simple the highest wavelenghts of srgb will be interpreted as the highest wavelenghts of rec2020...
    just look up the colorspaces images...
    so sRGB room will be stretched to fit into the rec2020 room...
    and that leads to mismatched colors...!
    Last edited by Sichtwechsel86; 06-21-2018 at 08:53 AM.

As i said in the overclock-forum... everything will now go fast and using miniLEDs after GSync HDR is out is just a next step -
    if they really release MiniLED GSync HDR monitors by the end of this year -
    then i highly recommend WAIT FOR IT...

yes - Acer x27 and PG27uq look fine FOR NOW...
    but there is much room for improvements!
    especially in the dimming-zones!
    384 zones JUST IS NOT ENOUGH...

it helps with getting good contrast...

but the zones are just to big to do justice to small light-points...

like stars in a dark sky...
    or street laterns in front of a dark background...
    or whatever you could imagine...
    in these cases haloing is induced, because the light-points are smaller then the actual dimming zones are!

and the more light-points on a dark background you have - the more haloing will occure!

for these scenarios microLED and OLED and real QD are the only solution!
    but with miniLED and 1000 zones - it will get closer to ideal!

Acer X27 and PG27UQ are just NOT GOOD ENOUGH to fullfill the needs of complex scenes with dark and light next to each other...
    a dense starfield in a dark sky will look just as if you have raised your brightness to 100% because every dimming zone will be activated!
    so the perceived blacl-level is raised and the image looks bleach and less vibrant...

i watched Jessica Jones on X27 and there where many shots in a city at night...
    traffic lights and so on...
    and a dark area in the upper screen area...
    where the traffic lights are, the black level raised, every zone was emitting bright light, haloing occured to a point where it looked like clouding...
    and the upper screen was pitch black...
    yes - the traffic lights looked vibrant, but the cloud around them was just reducing the impression!
    Honestly I don't think the number of dimming zones is the only culprit here. 384 is supposed to be A LOT for a 27 inch monitor compared to most TVs out there, yet this monitor cannot outperform them in HDR performance and eliminate blooming/haloing. 65-inch Z9D has "only" 600 zones and it almost has no blooming from what I read. X94E only has 256 zones and very minimal blooming. Hell, from Lim's Cave review it seems like even XE93 has less blooming than this monitor, and that TV is edge-lit. FREAKING EDGE-LIT?!!!

It is the IPS panel! FREAKING IPS man! Maybe we should have gone for VA panel for this kind of hdr monitors.

Also the FALD algorithm is important. I heard Sony is the best in the business when it comes to this. If only they make monitors...
    Last edited by deadchip12; 06-21-2018 at 09:06 AM.

You mean these pictures are not exaggerated? Oh boy...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acer-x27-blooming-hdr-2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	74363

Honestly I don't think the number of dimming zones is the only culprit here. 384 is supposed to be A LOT for a 27 inch monitor compared to most TVs out there, yet this monitor cannot outperform them in HDR performance and eliminate blooming/haloing. 65-inch Z9D has "only" 600 zones and it almost has no blooming from what I read. X94E only has 256 zones and very minimal blooming. Hell, from Lim's Cave review it seems like even XE93 has less blooming than this monitor, and that TV is edge-lit. FREAKING EDGE-LIT?!!!

It is the IPS panel! FREAKING IPS man! Maybe we should have gone for VA panel for this kind of hdr monitors.

Also the FALD algorithm is important. I heard Sony is the best in the business when it comes to this. If only they make monitors...
    ...VA would be better for black levels - because VA blocks out light better...
    ...but i personally can't stand VA smearing and VA glow!...
    ...also colors look better on IPS... even expensive VA panels cannot reach the color vibrancy of good IPS panels!

i think IPS and microLED will be the way to go...
    and/or real QuantumDot-Panels

in the meantime: enjoy what we have right now...
    miniLED and more zones will reduce the haloing significant...
    but it still can't match OLED or microLED

i decided to keep my acer xb27, keep my 2500€ and try again with GSync HDR monitors when miniLED is implemented...
    won't be long - i suggest next year...

but 2500€ is just too much, for a product i want to be improved as soon as possible!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Guys, PG27UQ/X27 is gaming monitor. Its not profi monitor or TV. It will not represent ideal/reference HDR standard regardels technology in use. Please keep it in mind.

Page 120 of 166 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 118 119 120 121 122 130 ... LastLast