Page 121 of 166 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 119 120 121 122 123 131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1651

Thread: Pg27uq

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by deadchip12 View Post
    You mean these pictures are not exaggerated? Oh boy...

Attachment 74363
    no they are not exaggerated!
    this is exactly what i have witnessed when trying acer x27...
    Lims Cave is very good in terms of showing what one actually sees with his own eyes - by adjusting ISO values!
    (as seen in the video!)

and this shot shows what i meant with 'milkyway'...

the clouds around the light-points are because the activated zones are bigger than the light-points and for that reason the black-level around them is raised...
    looks like clouding - but it is haloing!

imagine that the director intended a star to be 1000nits - and the zone emits highest brightness...
    but the LCDs in the dark area around this star can't block the emitted light good enough - haloing occurs - and that is what you see here!

so maybe this will be better with VA-LCDs,
    but colors will be a bit less vibrant and the resolution with the upcoming ultrawide panels is lower - and the most annoying thing: VA smearing!

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    Guys, PG27UQ/X27 is gaming monitor. Its not profi monitor or TV. It will not represent ideal/reference HDR standard regardels technology in use. Please keep it in mind.
    true - i kept it in mind -
    but decided to refund it and wait for better HDR capabilities due to BLB and other flaws anyways...

don't get me wrong...
    its a good monitor -
    it just isn't quite where i want it to be -
    and i waited 2 years for it to be released, i can wait a year longer for a better product, that satisfies me...

and of course - miniLED will also induce haloing - but less!
    and of course second gen won't be perfect - but GOOD ENOUGH...

i took into consideration the physical limitations, the price and of course how good i think this product is overall...
    and it misses my 'needs' for 2500€ by a few inches...
    fan is loud (and i want these monitors to be vesa mounted at my home desk!), BLB is bad, quantity and size of dimming zones is good - but just not good enough...

i am absolutely sure, that a miniLED FALD with 1000 zones and less backlightbleed and advanced cooling system and tweaked firmware will satisfy me for the next 5 years - and i had to use the Acer X27 for nearly 7 days to know what i want - especially for the price...

so i had to decide - keep it - and being unsatisfied because of its flaws...
    or wait one year more for a product i could not afford otherwise but that will potentially fullfill my needs!

all in all i ended up sending it back anyways, because the stand was defect and it had a dead pixel and BLB and so on...
    i will follow threads about GSync HDR monitors to keep up with newest infos...
    but i am eagerly awaiting the upcoming models...
    and when finally one of them is good enough to satisfy me (and i am not that kind of person that wants perfection!) - i'll buy!

ROG Enthusiast Array

I wont argue with you, because what are you saying is basically a truth. But I am interested in playing HDR content on PC (games-movies), and described problems have practically zero realworld impact. Yes, If you want to, you will always find a screen with bad halo. But as far as I tested on Asus, its impact is minor close to zero. I was expected much worse effects according to some videos etc. Yes, there will be better monitors in several years, but hey, will they be significantly better - means no halo, zero BB? Gsync and all? Sure? I am not sure, I dont know, nobody knows.

I wont argue with you, because what are you saying is basically a truth. But I am interested in playing HDR content on PC (games-movies), and described problems have practically zero realworld impact. Yes, If you want to, you will always find a screen with bad halo. But as far as I tested on Asus, its impact is minor close to zero. I was expected much worse effects according to some videos etc. Yes, there will be better monitors in several years, but hey, will they be significantly better - means no halo, zero BB? Gsync and all? Sure? I am not sure, I dont know, nobody knows.
    i don't know buy he said the picture I posted earlier is not exaggerated. If that's true that's terrible halo. How come its impact is close to zero in games and movies like you said? Can you play the same demo and take picture of the same frame?

ROG Enthusiast Array

i don't know buy he said the picture I posted earlier is not exaggerated. If that's true that's terrible halo. How come its impact is close to zero in games and movies like you said? Can you play the same demo and take picture of the same frame?
    Let me ask one question. Are you buyng the monitor for that one demo and one frame? As i said before. There are halos on menus and others nonnatural 0-100% objects. No haloing during actual movies or gameplay. I looked into Batmans halogen-shining eyes on black background in batman vs superman and saw no halo. Only rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sichtwechsel86 View Post
    I wasn't even able to choose this resolution in the Nvidia control panel!

It was a big step between 1080p and then something with 2048 and after this one came 4K resolution...

i did not try custom resolution...
    but it seems that 1440p is not supported out of the box - which is just strange...

but maybe it was my connection or something...
    i had miniDP1.4-to-DP1.4 coming from my gaming laptop... which uses a gtx1060 (i had no other test pc at hand...)

someone please check this out and look, if you can choose 1440p in NCC...
    in games i also couldn't choose 1440p resolution...
    (tested with BF1, TESO, Fortnite and Vampyr)

Thank you for looking into this as even the manual does not show 1440p as a support resolution.

I appreciate you checking for me.

don't get me wrong -
    but i really think that the acer x27 - as it is right now - has some real world problems!

the combination of BLB, haloing and a loud fan (that sometimes was louder than my gaminglaptop at full force) can't be ignored at this price -
    and i thought hard and long about refunding it or just exchanging it due to dead pixel, blb etc...
    as the other german reviewer: i was on the edge about this monitor - due to its price, my own financial background and my personal situation (exams, etc...)
    i hoped that i would end up thinking: ok - i love this monitor and 2500€ is much, but i love it too much, to give it back!
    but i found myself justifying it's flaws and trying to convince myself to keep it!
    and because i had to send it back anyways because of a defect stand and dead pixel - i decided to just return it and get my money back and wait a bit longer,
    until maybe they fixed some of the problems, tweaked the firmware (blackcrush, purple screen via HDMI2.0 sometimes when using HDR, loud fan, etc etc...)

and believe me - i am crying, because i can't play hdr games right now...
    but then again: i am in the preperations for my exams - and don't have time until october to play games anyways...
    the last two weeks i was able to play 2 rounds of conquest in BF1 - and spending maybe 4-5 hours with inspecting the Acer X27...

and just from logical thinking:
    smaller leds and more dimming zones will improve haloing up to a point where it doesn't take away much from the enjoyment
    but right now - it does - for me at least! so this is perfectly subjective!
    also i think they will tweak the GSync scaler and the fan - and eventually the FALD algorithm for better usage!

if you are happy with your monitor it's perfectly fine -
    enjoy it - have fun - i am a bit jealous of course

but for now i have to study hard -
    and after it i will lay in bed and enjoy PS4pro and Netflix (if i have time after my exams) on my OLED in HDR (based on support) -
    probably i will then have to play God of war and Detroit first... which are already installed - and waiting for me...
    maybe i just fall asleep and don't wake up for three days - this exams are so exhausting i can tell you...
    and i would like to play Shadow of the Tomb Raider and BFV (coming in september/october) in HDR on PC too -
    but i highly doubt that i even will have the time to finish GoW and Detroit until my holiday-week closes and the next semester starts -
    leaving me with no time at all to play games until the next semester holidays - which will be in February 2019...

and february 2019 - when i finally have time to play games again -
    is not far from a speculated release of second gen GSync HDR monitors according to the posted article...

it seems to be better to wait until second gen... for me...

Let me ask one question. Are you buyng the monitor for that one demo and one frame? As i said before. There are halos on menus and others nonnatural 0-100% objects. No haloing during actual movies or gameplay. I looked into Batmans halogen-shining eyes on black background in batman vs superman and saw no halo. Only rage.
    that's what I don't understand. How come there's halo in that demo but none in the movie you watch?

ROG Enthusiast Array

I dont know I have PG27UQ, he has X27. Maybe X27 has more halo effect.

that's what I don't understand. How come there's halo in that demo but none in the movie you watch?
    because maybe he is not watching many movies and playing games with specific scenes that trigger these effects!

i found myself often watching darker scenes with point-lights
    (like traffic lights on a dark street, stars in sky, lightsources in dark areas, etc...)
    and these WILL trigger haloing...

second thing about it is:
    movies other than series/games, don't have a lot of long 'still' images...
    there is mostly constantly changing images with much movement and dynamic back-forth-shots, etc...

i had to watch jessica jones in HDR which often uses dark scene-shots inbetween -
    and these are real-world-examples of these specific HDR-tech-demo-shots with dark areas and many bright lights (traffic lights, lights of building skylines, etc...)
    as an example: in '13 reasons why' season two - which my girlfriend watched (and forced me to do with her^^) - there wasn't many shots with dark areas and bright lights... so if someone comes across this haloing-effect and is annoyed from it - depends on what material you often watch/play/use...

whereas in games i like to inspect my surroundings ...
    and not rushing through the environment...

watching 'The Dark Knight' in HDR forced haloing all over the screen in many many shots! because 1/3 of the movie plays in dark and barely lit areas..
    watching 'Interstellar' nearly every space-shot forced haloing onto the screen...
    watching 'Baywatch' in HDR - not a problem - except the scens in the bar and the final act during the night at the boats and under a dark sky lit by fireworks!
    watching 'The Dark Tower' in HDR - again - much haloing
    watching ' John Wick - Chapter 1' - mostly ok, but the final act with all its small point-lights and light-reflecting raindrops... forced haloing...

yes - one can focus on these or ignore them -
    but it is there - and it's a fact -
    the only difference is - how annoyed people are by these halos...
    i am in the middle - not too much - but i definitley would like to have smaller dimming zones and more LEDs...
    just because looking at a traffic light in a dark scene that is surrounded by a bloom/halo triggers me every time...
    whereas the same traffic light on a screen without FALD (and without haloing) doesn't trigger me as much, because it seems clearer...
    due to my eyes perceiving uniformity in the background...
    at the cost of bad overall black-levels and diminished contrast...

PS:

and nest is right - maybe it is due to the difference between x27 and pg27uq -
    or maybe it was JUST the unit i received and it does not reflect the vast majority of these monitors...
    at least i had very bad backlightbleeding with FALD of...
    and of course that effects the dimming zones and Local Dimming too!
    Last edited by Sichtwechsel86; 06-21-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Page 121 of 166 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 119 120 121 122 123 131 ... LastLast