cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Problems with hero x motherboard

will_s
Level 7
Its been a nightmare, started ok, did a clean install on a NVMe and the LAN wasnt working. Installed the drivers from external hard drive but problems installing the LAN software and drivers. They failed to install and some error message about no LAN present.

So I put the old system back together and killed that in the process ( dropped the mobo slightly ) and that wouldnt boot just go into a loop ( error C4 ) but thats a different make..an Aorus Gaming 7 370 which is important because I still had the old M.2 drive from that so rebuild again and put that in and had error message " memory not installed" ..tried my other memory and same message so I found the safe boot button and it booted ........into BIOS and changed to XMP and hit the F8 button on reboot and selected M.2 and it booted............had windows configuring and that took a few minutes but finally into windows 10 and the LAN is working...........everything else is working and all from Aorus ( Gigabyte ) software.

So I would assume that the LAN software is the same for Gigabyte and Asus . Just wonder why the Lan software from the ROG web site didnt complete installing...even went into device manager and tried updating it by pointing it to the file but that failed as well..started installing drivers then it died. Anyway, havent installed any of the Asus software and drivers..........may put my USB Wireless lan on here ( couldnt dop it before because no drivers and its a finiky bit of hardware even with the drivers.

May try the new memory again , just not now

All up...should have left everything alone and would have saved a heap of money and ulsers
will
7 REPLIES 7

emsir
Level 8
will_s wrote:
Its been a nightmare, started ok, did a clean install on a NVMe and the LAN wasnt working. Installed the drivers from external hard drive but problems installing the LAN software and drivers. They failed to install and some error message about no LAN present.

So I put the old system back together and killed that in the process ( dropped the mobo slightly ) and that wouldnt boot just go into a loop ( error C4 ) but thats a different make..an Aorus Gaming 7 370 which is important because I still had the old M.2 drive from that so rebuild again and put that in and had error message " memory not installed" ..tried my other memory and same message so I found the safe boot button and it booted ........into BIOS and changed to XMP and hit the F8 button on reboot and selected M.2 and it booted............had windows configuring and that took a few minutes but finally into windows 10 and the LAN is working...........everything else is working and all from Aorus ( Gigabyte ) software.

So I would assume that the LAN software is the same for Gigabyte and Asus . Just wonder why the Lan software from the ROG web site didnt complete installing...even went into device manager and tried updating it by pointing it to the file but that failed as well..started installing drivers then it died. Anyway, havent installed any of the Asus software and drivers..........may put my USB Wireless lan on here ( couldnt dop it before because no drivers and its a finiky bit of hardware even with the drivers.

May try the new memory again , just not now

All up...should have left everything alone and would have saved a heap of money and ulsers[/QUOTE

This: "So I would assume that the LAN software is the same for Gigabyte and Asus". Why do you even try to think it's the same. No wonder you are having all sorts of problems. You should use your logic sense and ask your self why Asus and Gigabyte are posting their own drivers on their support page. You can't mix drivers from different vendors. It's stupid to behave like this.
And your way of booting your machine is also very veird. If you load the boot menu and choose M.2 as boot device you will get all sorts of problem. You have to go into Bios and choose Windows Boot manager (UEFI) as your 1. boot. You need to do some reading and learn how to use your computers before doing everything. Your attitude is so wrong. What is going on in your head by dropping your old motherboard and kill it......makes no sense at all, and your behaviour solve NOTHING!

You missed the point..............the Asus drivers for the hero failed to install. I was unable to connect to the internet so I took a punt that the drivers on the old M.2 drive may work and they bloody well did. Didn't install any drivers.....they were already installed when that was used on the Aorus Motherboard and they were accepted .

So I put the new M.2 drive in and it only had the basic first Win10 install and wouldnt install the Rog drivers..........got an error message"Cannot install drivers..no intel adapter are present in computer" . Now when you only have the one PC and that wont connect because the drivers from Asus wont work then something is wrong, badly wrong. Lucky I found an old Wireless USB adapter that when plugged in Windows accepted and using wireless was able to connect so I then did another clean install and Windows asked for password for Wireless and it then downloaded 4 gig of files and updated my system. And I just had a look and the Lan now has the same file name as the Aorus one ie. Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) and its working .

So please tell me how I failed to install the correct drivers for the LAN ( I downloaded previously and put on external drive ) and why would they not bloody work. And as for stupid...tell me why the installed drivers on the old Windows 10 M.2 driver worked when the Asus ones wouldnt install ? Oh yes, I will now download all the Gigabyte Utilites and get them to work as well ...btw: that was sarcasmn as maybe you are not smart enough to know.\

And unlike gIGABYTE, THE bios PICKED UP THE m.2 DRIVE as the bootable drive ( only drive connected ) ...it showed as the bootable drive and I didnt have to do anything, And same when I changed to the 960 , it picked up and made it the bootable and booted into it. So have no idea on what goofball pills you are on but you were basically wrong in everyuthing you said
will

Raja
Level 13
First case i've heard of drivers not installing for the ROG boards. Wondering what went on there. I've installed our drivers on the Apex board I have at home (including the ROG site-provided Intel drivers), and it went through okay.

In any case, I'd advise you both to calm down.

1) The OP was a little difficult to decipher and could have been written better. It was written like a narrative that assumes the person reading knows the back story.

2) Emsir, if you can't offer help in a more polite manner, I suggest not replying.

3) Will_s you have aright to be annoyed, but please don't use expletives in your posts. There was one starting with the letter 'f' that I've just removed. It was dressed to avoid the anti-expletive filter.

-Raja

Menthol
Level 14
With a fresh install of Windows 10 no LAN drivers should be needed for internet access as Windows has basic drivers for Intel LAN.
The fact that the other manufacturer drivers worked is because the same Intel LAN is used on most boards, the same can be true for USB, sound, etc. with the manufacturers installer being the difference between the drivers not the driver itself
If you moved the drive without a fresh Windows install or a fresh install on another board and moved drive could explain the driver installation issue, if it was a fresh install on this board and there is an issue with manufacturers driver than you have an issue I have never seen on any ASUS motherboard
I currently have both a X Hero Wifi and X Apex, I have not had any issue with driver installation on these boards, same as all previous generation of ASUS boards
One possible explanation if there is an issue is CPU socket, heatsink/cooler mount, a misaligned or over tightened cooler can cause all kind of issues

will_s
Level 7
it was written after a day of frustration and I did not appreciate his tone, it was uncalled for and I shouldnt have &^%$ . To be honest since the LAN drivers wouldnt install or even the drivers from the USB stick for win 10 home wouldnt let me have a working LAN I actually though the motherboard was defective and was going to request a RMA.

and for some strange reason when I have installed Win10 home from a USB flash drive that came with my key when I purchased it in 2016 Windows doesnt have any default driver that works with the z370 motherboards.. As soon as you load Win10 up the LAN icon in they tray has the whatever marking that indicates no LAN. IIRC same thing happened with the Aorus motherboard and the Intel Lan would not install but that had the Killer LAN and that worked . And soon as I updated Win10 on the Aorus I installed the LAN drivers from Gigabyte and that Lan worked. And the funny thing is it had the drivers that worked for the USB wireless.

And yes, I had problems booting after changing everything..show as error 55 which was memory so put different in and same thing. It would just get to 55 and sit there but thankfully using the slow boot button worked. Also unlike the Gigabyte motherboard that had heaps of Issues with recognising my Samsung 950 pro the Asus picked it up and showed it first time and when i put my new Samsung 960 M.2 in it picked that up as well .

Anyway, I let it all update and its working fine and MS even helped me with Activation . Now I have not installed any of the Asus drivers including the Chipset as its working ok. Should I just load the chipset drivers ? Still have them all sitting there on my external drive

I know the z370 platform is new and just wonder if maybe some of older Win10 Home USB flasg drives didnt have the correct drivers fthat would enable LAN , otherwise I have no idea on what has happened since both of you have said you had no problems. Anyway, thankfully the Asus wireless USB AC 55 worked a treat.
will

Menthol
Level 14
Typically I install Chipset and MEI, BT, Wifi if the board has or needs them, ASUS drivers or straight from Intel doesn't mater, if everything is functioning properly and device manager doesn't show any needed drivers your fine as you are

will_s
Level 7
have installed that as well as the Sound and must say I am not impressed by the Asus Sound Interface, I guess I am so used to changing things directly in Realtek and just can't get the mixture I would like but not a sign of crackling or distortion like has been mentioned a few times. Still I can use my USB headphones to get the sound I like but one day will have to get into the Sonic and figure it out so I can use the equaliser to set it the way I like . Have found the annoying settings that leave the RGB effects on when you shut down, I think by default it would be better to have them turned off

All up am happy with the motherboard

But one question I still am curious about and will take up with Microsoft.....and thats the Lan not working . Curious if you made your own bootable USB stick or media ?
will