cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking help

Nerxan
Level 7
Hello! I've run into an wall about what to do with my computer and hopes anyone here can help me make it stable.

My setup is,

Asus z370-f
Gskill trident z 4133 cl19
Captain EX120

and now to my problem. When i set everything to default. I change so that my pump is always at 100%, take away MCE and set Vcore to manual 1.2 because if i dont do this i get vcores @ 1.45 etc

When i boot up my computer everything runs well, but when i try prime95/Realbench i run into VIDs @ 1.4-1.5 accoring to HWinfo, Vcore jump at 1.232-1.264 and temps up to 90 degrees (Celsius). I really wanna try to figure this out with your help. So if you have anything to add, how to get my computer stable and maybe get it ready for OC'ing feel free to make any suggestions.

Many thanks Nerxan
9 REPLIES 9

ChettsoN
Level 7
Hi,

Do you mean that when you run stock settings for your 8700k you get to 90°C with an AIO ?
What are your idle temps?
What are your CPU temps in gaming?
*Is your Pump plugged in your mobo's AIO_PUMP fan header? Because if you plug it in the right FAN header, it will run at 100% no matter what you do.

What Thermal paste did you use? What method did you use to apply the thermal paste?

Regarding the Vcore, did you try using an offset?*
You should try 1st to check if you got a good thermal paste, if you put it right, once that's cleared,*then use one of the guides in the sticky threads and follow it step by step.*

Or aybe you're just unlucky and have a ****ty chip :/*
ASUS ROG STRIX Z270 F GAMING
intel core i7 7700K
GsKILL TridentZ C15D 3000MHz
ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 A8G
LEPA aquachanger 120
Samsung EVO 960 SSD M.2 500Go
Corsair HX750i 80 PLUS Platinum*

Im using Arctic Cooling MX-2, problem is before i did the last bios update i could get it stable and running chill, after the update was done my settings were reseted and i didnt save em sadly. Will try some later but would really appreciate someone with an deeper understanding than me in OCing. Idle temps like 35-45, stock settings at 1.225 vcore im getting 84 from 5 mins testing, dont wanna try realbench atm since the temps are really high using prime95. Been having problems earlier getting it cool and now i've gotten a lil tired of experimenting on my own so i've come to seek some professional advice. Only thing i changed was vcore and from "per core auto on all" to auto. Dno if that would affect anything.

During the tests before bios i had like 65°C using prime95, now i cant get it under 80°C except for very short periods.

Tried applying it to aio pump/ cpu fan for the block cooler. but got some wierd temps, so went for cpu / chafan and somehow that made it a lil cooler. When i look at what i write it feels stupid but i remember changing it back and forth and got some changes wierdly enough (Even with the same fan/settings)

ChettsoN wrote:
Hi,

Do you mean that when you run stock settings for your 8700k you get to 90°C with an AIO ?
What are your idle temps?
What are your CPU temps in gaming?
*Is your Pump plugged in your mobo's AIO_PUMP fan header? Because if you plug it in the right FAN header, it will run at 100% no matter what you do.

What Thermal paste did you use? What method did you use to apply the thermal paste?

Regarding the Vcore, did you try using an offset?*
You should try 1st to check if you got a good thermal paste, if you put it right, once that's cleared,*then use one of the guides in the sticky threads and follow it step by step.*

Or aybe you're just unlucky and have a ****ty chip :/*

Nerxan wrote:
Im using Arctic Cooling MX-2, problem is before i did the last bios update i could get it stable and running chill, after the update was done my settings were reseted and i didnt save em sadly. Will try some later but would really appreciate someone with an deeper understanding than me in OCing. Idle temps like 35-45, stock settings at 1.225 vcore im getting 84 from 5 mins testing, dont wanna try realbench atm since the temps are really high using prime95. Been having problems earlier getting it cool and now i've gotten a lil tired of experimenting on my own so i've come to seek some professional advice. Only thing i changed was vcore and from "per core auto on all" to auto. Dno if that would affect anything.

During the tests before bios i had like 65°C using prime95, now i cant get it under 80°C except for very short periods.

Tried applying it to aio pump/ cpu fan for the block cooler. but got some wierd temps, so went for cpu / chafan and somehow that made it a lil cooler. When i look at what i write it feels stupid but i remember changing it back and forth and got some changes wierdly enough (Even with the same fan/settings)
Best thermal paste I've used is Thermal Grizzly kryonaut. It is a bit fiddly to do as it is made from part silver but temps under full load are only 60c. So we'll recommended

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So if you used to have around 65°C under high load and now sit at 80-90°C, and haven't changed any hardware settings (swapped fan header location/ changed thermal paste for example ), it should be some FAN settings or more likely tweaking needed about VCore settings.
You should either follow the Guides or*if you'd like some help i suggest you to post screenshots from HWmonitor while under load/idle/gaming/soft load in order to allow ppl to help you 🙂
intel core i7 7700K
ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 A8G
LEPA aquachanger 120

This is what i've gathered over 15 mins, with 3 tests prime95 (2-3 mins each and reaching these temps) realbench reaches it after 30 secs

ChettsoN wrote:
So if you used to have around 65°C under high load and now sit at 80-90°C, and haven't changed any hardware settings (swapped fan header location/ changed thermal paste for example ), it should be some FAN settings or more likely tweaking needed about VCore settings.
You should either follow the Guides or*if you'd like some help i suggest you to post screenshots from HWmonitor while under load/idle/gaming/soft load in order to allow ppl to help you 🙂

this is playing wow and browsing internet for a long while

Nerxan wrote:

this is playing wow and browsing internet for a long while

Allright, i don''t see overheating right there.
It's running quite cool (the current value at least, i can't see the average value)
Even in the previous snapshot, its doesnt look overheating. Vcore seems ok too.
I don't see aroung 90°C averages.
You should look for the average you get with HWinfo with like an hour of gaming.
You don't have to tab out, you can even check it with msi afterburner OSD.
I only have a 120mm AIO (LEPA aquachanger 120) and i OCed my 7700k to 4.9GHz, and it stays around 60-70°C during long game sessions, with peaks to 80°C.
Peaks might happen but you need to look at the average i guess.**

Also do you only have 2 fans? How is your case built fan wise?*
intel core i7 7700K
ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 A8G
LEPA aquachanger 120

ChettsoN wrote:
Allright, i don''t see overheating right there.
It's running quite cool (the current value at least, i can't see the average value)
Even in the previous snapshot, its doesnt look overheating. Vcore seems ok too.
I don't see aroung 90°C averages.
You should look for the average you get with HWinfo with like an hour of gaming.
You don't have to tab out, you can even check it with msi afterburner OSD.
I only have a 120mm AIO (LEPA aquachanger 120) and i OCed my 7700k to 4.9GHz, and it stays around 60-70°C during long game sessions, with peaks to 80°C.
Peaks might happen but you need to look at the average i guess.**

Also do you only have 2 fans? How is your case built fan wise?*

My case is totally open, And you have even ocd the processor, i reach 88°C using simulationcraft for Wow, wich was kinda scary.. and as you can see i reach a max of 4400mhz, with an avarage of 4300 mhz. Wich means im running it lower than stock even

This is running Prime95 using 47x, LLC5, MCE Off, Speedstep Disabled, Vcore 1.225 and no settings at all for my ram yet. will let it run thru the night and post some updates. Feel free to check it and come with any suggestions on how to move forward. Any tips or help is greatly appreciated.

Also need to check with yall, In HWInfo exactly what is "IA:Package level RAPL/PBM PL1" and "Ring: MAX VR Voltage, IccMAX, PL4" is it anything i need to be worried about?

Thanks guys