cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU very close to the CPU cooler

Rise11
Level 7
Hello there

I have an Asus maximus x hero motherbord and a strix gtx 1080ti in my computer. For CPU cooling I use an Noctua NH-D15s. My problem is now, that I have to put my gtx 1080 ti in the first PCIe port as this is the only one with x16. But as my cpu cooler is not the smallest one - the gpu is now very close to the cpu cooler (I guess the distance is at about 5mm to 1cm) Is this maybe a problem? Temperatures after 45min gaming are: GPU 75 degrees & CPU 45 degrees.

Thank you and regards
5 REPLIES 5

Velcade
Level 7
As long as they aren't touching and you have good case air flow you should be fine. Those temps are decent.

Menthol
Level 14
Velcade is correct as long as there is no direct contact you are safe from any electrical short
The fact that the CPU temperature is 30 degrees lower than your GPU means the heat from your GPU is not affecting the performance of your CPU cooler
Game on

Heini
Level 11
I'ven using an NH-D15 for a couple of years with the GPU as close as yours. I was concerned at first but I can assure you that there's NO harm been doing. I take the blackplates off of mu GPU's and I believe the CPU cooler helps draw ehat from the GPU though there's no physical contact being made.

Thank you all for your answers!

@Heini I guess you meant that you assure that there's NO harm been doing?! 🙂

Rise11 wrote:
Thank you all for your answers!

@Heini I guess you meant that you assure that there's NO harm been doing?! 🙂

Yup! Thanks, I edited it.