cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal temps for i7-7700k ?

Rokha88
Level 8
Hi everyone,

It seems that my 7700k CPU overheats in my opinion, but I would like to know your opinion about it.

I did a stress-test on OCCT and temperatures go up and down, but the average is between 75 and 77 C°, but I have some peeks at 87 C° for the Core 1!

Another thing brings my attention, it is that the VCore won't stop going up and down in a normal use (from 0.69v in idle to constant 1.36 in full load). I think 1.36v is very high for a non-overclock CPU, isn't it ? The only thing is, that my CPU works at 4,4 / 4,5 Ghz instead of the basic 4,2 Ghz. I didn't do anything to get this but I suppose it is due to the Turbo mode activated in the BIOS ?

Do this high temperatures could be due to the VCore which don't stop going from very low voltage to some high voltage ?

You can't find the images about these tests here : https://imgur.com/a/EQo7H

My config :

Windows 10 Home
Zalman Z11 plus
CPU: Intel I7-7700K;
Ventirad: Bequiet Pure Rock Slim
Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Ranger VIII
GPU: ASUS 1070 GTX Dual 8Gb OC
RAM : 2x8Go Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz
PSU: Antec 620w (HCG-620M)

Thanks in advance for you answers (I hope this time)

Have a nice day.
34 REPLIES 34

Nate152
Hi Rokha88

On auto settings your cpu will get overvolted.

Set the CPU Core/Cache voltage to Manual and enter in 1.15v - 1.20v in the "CPU Core Voltage Override", this should lower temps a good bit.

One option is to delid your 7700k, I delidded mine and saw an average of -15c in temps.

Here's watchdogs 2 with the delidded 7700k at 5.2GHz with 1.44v.

JustinThyme
Level 13
7700K is a hot chip.
If you want to cool it down and have any chance at OC you will need to delid and replace the toothpaste that intel is using for TIM.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Hi,

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies !

The thing is, that I am not intending to overclock my CPU (at least, not for the moment). I find the 4,4 / 4,5 Ghz in turbo mode satisfying for the moment. I just want to take no risks with my CPU by exposing it with anormally high temperatures while in game (Like PUBG, which is the game I play which uses the maximum ressources) and make it the coolest as possible !

Hi Rokha88

On auto settings your cpu will get overvolted. Set the CPU Core/Cache voltage to Manual and enter in 1.15v - 1.20v in the "CPU Core Voltage Override", this should lower temps a good bit.

And yes, all the parameters in the BIOS are the defaults one, so the most of it are in automatic mode. I didn't touch anything as I am pretty noobish about BIOS modifications.

So what you say is all I have to do is to change these parameters and the temps should be lower than at the moment ? Do I have to change something else in the BIOS ?

What are the steps I should follow after that ? I mean, how can I be sure those settings won't harm my system or make it instable ?

I have never done such changes in my BIOS so I'm a bit stressed about it. Sorry if my questions and worries may seem stupid.

JustinThyme
7700K is a hot chip.
If you want to cool it down and have any chance at OC you will need to delid and replace the toothpaste that intel is using for TIM.

Thanks for you reply.

Indeed, I have read that the 7700k is a very hot CPU. That's why I am not worried more than that but I want to make it the more durable by limiting the heat exposure.

And you are right, I have read that the thermal paste shoud be replaced at least every 1 year ? I have my computer since like 1 month, do you think I should already re-apply/replace it ?

And yes, another question is : do you think the Bequiet pure rock slim is a really bad choice for the i7-7700 K ? I have been told this could be one of the reasons ...

Thanks again for your answers and have a nice day.

Rokha.

JustinThyme wrote:
7700K is a hot chip.

That's a good one JustinThyme! 🙂

TOOTHPASTE, oh my ribs! LMAO

On a serious note, I use GELID - GC-Extreme, and it works great.

You can change settings as instructed, but you really need to change out some of your hardware since you are air cooling, if you want better temps!

1. The Zalman isn't a good air cooled case - replace with Fractal Design Meshify;

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/meshify/meshify-c

2. Case Fans - Noctua NF-A14 PWM x 2 (Front) - Noctua NF-F12 PWM x 1 (Rear)

3. Get a Noctua CPU Cooler, here are some models;

Noctua NH-D15
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15

Noctua NH-D15S
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s

Noctua NH-U14S - I'd run two fans
https://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s.html

Menthol
Level 14
Those temperatures and voltages are normal for a 7700k and OCCT and the Heatsink you are using
The voltage scaling is a normal response to CPU load on all modern processors, the 1.36 may be more than needed but a needed response because of the difference between the values needed between a very good CPU and a weak CPU, the quality of CPU's varies by a large margin so motherboard manufacturers have to design there products to function with the weakest samples

A simple solution to temperature is to disable ASUS MultiCore Enhancement in Extreme Tweaker menu of the bios, a feature that applies an all core boost speed rather than the Intel specified single core boost value, this may lower performance by a small amount depending on your specific work load but in most cases is not noticeable

If you want to lower CPU voltage further setting up adaptive voltage is a good way and still allow the voltage scaling to lower under light, idle speeds

Nate152
Menthol makes some good points.

Steps to set the voltage manually:

1) Set the AI Overclock Tuner to Manual
2) Sync All Cores
3) Set the CPU Core ratio to 45
4) Set the CPU Core Cache Voltage to Manual
5) Enter in 1.15v in the "CPU Core Voltage Override"
6) Disable Multicore Enhancement
7) In DiGi+ set LLC to level 6
😎 F10 and Enter to Save and Exit, if it doesn't boot or you get a BSOD try 1.20v.

If stable you can then switch the CPU Core/Cache voltage to Adaptive and enter in 1.15v or 1.20v (whatever was needed) in the "Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage Override". Be sure the windows power plan is set to balanced, Adaptive mode will throttle your cpu speed and voltage at idle further reducing temps.

Thanks for your answers !

I will try this exact procedure and come back to you tomorrow to tell you how it worked 😉

Hi everyone,

So here we are, I have just done the modifications you told me (info: I have put Vcore at 1.15v) and I have done an OCCT for like 5 minutes. I didn't get any warning message or BSOD.

The temperatures have significantly decreased.

Here are the informations (images of the OCCT) : https://imgur.com/a/cGBmA

Following this, here are my questions :

1) Do you recommend me to do further testing or longer OCCT (or something else) test to ensure there is no problem in a long-term stress ?

2) I am quite surprised that the Vcore increases at 1.169 ~ 1.186 (see image), even if I have set it to 1.15 manual in the BIOS, how is it possible ?

3) I have put BCLK frequency at 100 instead of automatic, is it ok ?

4) I guess the only last thing I need to do is to set the Vcore to adaptative and put 1.15 in Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage Override (and let the other one unchanged?!) ... ? 🙂

Anyway, a big thanks to you for your precious help.

Best regards,

EDIT: In PUBG I have some frame drops + freezes 😞

Nate152
1) It seems you're unstable if PUBG is freezing, this could be ram instability, do you have XMP set or set your ram manually ?

2) With LLC set to level 6 it's normal for the vcore to jump a little over the voltage you set and is normal, you could try LLC level 5 and see where the voltage goes.

3) Yes, that's fine.

4) That's correct, but before switching to adaptive mode let's make sure you're completely stable.

LLC level 5
CPU System Agent Voltage - 1.15v
CPU VCCIO Voltage - 1.15v

Run the test and play PUBG with these settings, let us know if you still get the freezing and where the voltage is with LLC at level 5.