cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios 3703

acerzr2
Level 7
I am running on the Maximus VIII hero alpha. In regards to the specter/meltdown security issue,
if I update my management engine driver and run the update tool, am I safe with 3504 BIOS, or am I not fully
safe until ASUS releases the 3703 BIOS?
117 REPLIES 117

ondersma80
Level 7
You are never fully safe on any computer. Nothing can fully protect you but common sense. You might not even be safe with the fixes. If they were 0% on understanding the issue who is to say they are 100% on the fix? Sweet dreams.

ondersma80 wrote:
You are never fully safe on any computer. Nothing can fully protect you but common sense. You might not even be safe with the fixes. If they were 0% on understanding the issue who is to say they are 100% on the fix? Sweet dreams.

Oh my God! If this is your answer, you are ignorant. Do you really think common sense can fix this issue? Rubbish! The only thing that fixes this issue is the BIOS update that says change cpu micro code. The latest BIOS for Maximus VIII is 3703. Common sense does nothing to solve this problem.

After experiencing the problems stated above under 3703 I rolled my BIOS back to 3401 and so far it seems to work fine again. I understand the need for safety, but when it causes more immediate problems to the point where I can't even use my PC for it's intended purpose, I have to give it a pass for the time being. Maybe the next version will be stable.

AkemManah wrote:
After experiencing the problems stated above under 3703 I rolled my BIOS back to 3401 and so far it seems to work fine again. I understand the need for safety, but when it causes more immediate problems to the point where I can't even use my PC for it's intended purpose, I have to give it a pass for the time being. Maybe the next version will be stable.

Wise choice my friend, 3401 for this board is rock solid unlike other bioses I've tried, i'm not even updating this MB bios anymore until it's lifespan, there is simply no need.

Adrian1976 wrote:
Wise choice my friend, 3401 for this board is rock solid unlike other bioses I've tried, i'm not even updating this MB bios anymore until it's lifespan, there is simply no need.

Yup, I agree.

I'll ride it out till the end of this boards life, which isn't long off. Just not worth the hassle now, as 3401 has been running here for ages without a blip, besides, I'm not bothered one jot about this 'scaremongering' nonsense that my CPU is vulnerable, lol, as everything is vulnerable these days, who gives a ****?, really?, lol!

I'll take FULL performance on my board, CPU, SSD etc, instead, thank you 🙂

scaramonga wrote:
Yup, I agree.

I'll ride it out till the end of this boards life, which isn't long off. Just not worth the hassle now, as 3401 has been running here for ages without a blip, besides, I'm not bothered one jot about this 'scaremongering' nonsense that my CPU is vulnerable, lol, as everything is vulnerable these days, who gives a ****?, really?, lol!

I'll take FULL performance on my board, CPU, SSD etc, instead, thank you 🙂

My god, I looked at the performance hit on my Hero VIII and it took a huge chunk out of my samsung 950 pro... Rolling back as well!
PS, anyone see Linus Torvalds latest email about intels "garbage fix" ? haha the worst! 3401 it is!

skybone wrote:
My god, I looked at the performance hit on my Hero VIII and it took a huge chunk out of my samsung 950 pro... Rolling back as well!
PS, anyone see Linus Torvalds latest email about intels "garbage fix" ? haha the worst! 3401 it is!

Yes I saw this yesterday and thought to myself thank god I didn't install this ****ed up ****, don't know wtf intel and asus are playing at but i'm staying well clear thanks.

Had to regress back to 3504. 3703 was causing significant graphical stuttering and audio pops in Elite: Dangerous. Back to 3504 and running smooth. nvidia GPU drivers tried: 388.43 and 385.69.

nettech99 wrote:
Had to regress back to 3504. 3703 was causing significant graphical stuttering and audio pops in Elite: Dangerous. Back to 3504 and running smooth. nvidia GPU drivers tried: 388.43 and 385.69.

I tried 3703 again today. No stuttering this time. I keep a record of all system changes and the only thing that has changed is that DIP5 was upgraded (and I later uninstalled and re-installed AISuite3). Bizarre. nvidia driver 388.43.