cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus rog rampage vi extreme is it worth it

asmodyus
Level 10
So just like the title says, I just got a i7-7820x and I am looking for a new motherboard for it. Is the Asus Rampage Vi Extreme worth premium? Its so much more than when I purchased my rampage V original.
25 REPLIES 25

Brighttail
Level 11
The answer depends greatly on what are your needs vs wants? Do you want a 10g LAN Port? Do you want to Overclock your CPU and have superior VRM cooling? Do you have more than 1 M.2 and want to have them on a DIMM board? Do you want the aesthetics of the RGB shielding?

For me it was a choice between the APEX and Rampage 6. From an overclocking standpoint the R6E has been rock solid, no booting issues, it allowed me to OC my RAM and keeps my OC on my CPU perfectly stable. I don't use the 10G LAN so that is a bit of hit, but for my case (phanteks Elite) and my build I can't imagine a better looking motherboard in my system. For me it was worth the extra money. If you don't care about the unique look of the motherboard, there are many cheaper motherboards that will do much what the R6E will do. Having had the R5E and the R5E10, I have to say that this motherboard lacks many of the issues that plagued the previous versions.

From an Overclocking standpoint Der8auer checked the Rampage 6, with the Apex and the 299-a and found that the R6E to be simply the best if you aren't doing LN or extreme overclocking.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Chino
Level 15
If you don't need all the bells and whistles that the R6E has, the Strix X299 is a solid motherboard for the price. 🙂

For gaming , productivity and overclock R6E was solid performance. However it was not safe from Intel SA-00086/88 vulnerable now.
The SA-00086 was ME Firmware vulnerable and SA-00088 was Spectre. *If you are stock trader , e business or e finance or other
whom need security trust platform, R6E and all ASUS X299 are affected those SA-00086/88 at this moment. No New BIOS update
For those issues now.

If you concern from both vulnerable above, Choice other brand such EVGA ASROCK or Gigabyte X299 that already had new
BIOS and ME Firmware which addressed both vulnerable.

At this point as i9 7980XE and RAMPAGE VI Extreme owner. I and many R6E users are waiting around 2 months ago to fix those
Vulnerable above. *Since November 2017 to present day there are no update to fix both vulnerables above at all.

If you are not concern both vulnerables , Welcome to ROG Rampage VI Extreme members. Buy it and going to waiting like us for
Those vulnerables patch. You’ll very happy to check the forums everyday and see nothing update anymore. Can’t believed most
cheaper X299 iTX and MATX got those update before us. The most expensive mobo any update may slowly as bloodsucker.

Upon you discuss.*
W11CANARY 26100.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007108 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E Modified BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 552.22 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

Chino wrote:
If you don't need all the bells and whistles that the R6E has, the Strix X299 is a solid motherboard for the price. 🙂

Think you meant to say the Apex, as that's clearly the better option here.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Brighttail
Level 11
I'm looking around other manufacturers and most are just as slow about their BIOS updates because Intel has had issues getting the microcode out. Several of those microcodes they got out ended up being very bad for performance and they tweaked and tweaked again. In this case I'm not going to put full blame on Asus. This has been a very fluid situation. The question asked was is the R6E worth purchasing. From a microcode update, the R6E is no different than any other x299 motherboard.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

It's worth it if you care about looks and about its features. Won't find a better looking board, that's for sure. Whether it's worth the premium or not is subjective.

Brighttail wrote:
I'm looking around other manufacturers and most are just as slow about their BIOS updates because Intel has had issues getting the microcode out. Several of those microcodes they got out ended up being very bad for performance and they tweaked and tweaked again. In this case I'm not going to put full blame on Asus. This has been a very fluid situation. The question asked was is the R6E worth purchasing. From a microcode update, the R6E is no different than any other x299 motherboard.

Didn’t you see my post above. You’re last statement the R6E is no different than any other X299 motherboard. Where is any update for my R6E sir.? My rigs use for stock trade cost over 50X over R6E cost. * Those vulnerable cause me concern a lot. If I know ASUS solution*
were slower than other brand as see. I sweared R6E is not my choice surely.

Due the same PCH X299 and microcode also Firmware update from intel. There are no performance different between R6E and otherbrand motherboard venders. However highest cost charge for users but solving what users concern slowly as bloodsucker.*

I have answer the question “ ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme is it worth it” already. Compare you money spend and what do you get.

Since I am Rampage II Gene, Rampage IV Extreme,Rampage V Extreme owner in the past. *Rampage VI Extreme is the worst after sales
Service and support ever been compare to elder Rampage that i’d Purchased. In the past Shamino my old friends has oftenly update
their Beta BIOS with microcode update frequently. Today may be we lost him forever.*
W11CANARY 26100.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007108 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E Modified BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 552.22 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

Marko911
Level 8
asmodyus wrote:
So just like the title says, I just got a i7-7820x and I am looking for a new motherboard for it. Is the Asus Rampage Vi Extreme worth premium? Its so much more than when I purchased my rampage V original.

In my opinion ,don't buy it!It's overrated...You would have enormous issues with it...Better options are APEX or any other Asus x299 or gigabayte gaming 7pro motherboard especially if you plan running SLI watercooled custom GPUs,first PCIe x16 is unusable.one m.2 slot without heatsink,spacing between VRM heatsink and 8 pin and 4 pin CPU connector,one usb 2.0 internal header (problem if you re planning on running corsair link or RGB fans and AIO watercooling sets)
AURA and AI Suite III are unstable,LiveDash not working,slow boot,RAM issues....I'm still on brink of returning it to caseeking.de
It's not worth the trouble especially for 730eur!

Marko911 wrote:

AURA and AI Suite III are unstable,LiveDash not working,slow boot,RAM issues....I'm still on brink of returning it to caseeking.de
It's not worth the trouble especially for 730eur!

Try the latest LiveDash. Previous versions needed AI Suite installed, while version 1.01.08 doesn't.