Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    32
    Posts
    165

    Angry Any one else have to RMA their ZENITH because of the M.2 Screws on the M.2 Panel?

    I don't know if it's just me or if it's a bigger issue but that's what I am trying to figure out.

    So the Zenith Extreme has a M.2 Panel on the bottom right and on the panel are 3 M.2 screws.

    These screws are made of very soft metal and are very fragile. I ended up stripping all 3 on the first board and thus had to RMA.

    They sent me another Zenith and I ended up stripping another M.2 screw on that one. I was able to open 2 out of the 3 but even the 2 I opened were partially stripped. And thus a 2nd RMA.

    Anyone else having a problem with these very fragile easy to strip screws? I contacted pcpartspicker and the guys there said that these screws were very fragile as well.

    Anyone else have screw driver or bit size recommendations? I was told a philips #1 would do the trick and the philips #1 did unscrew 2 of the 3 screws but not the 3rd.

    My mobo is in RMA right now again, I don't want to have to RMA a 3rd time because these screws won't come off due to their fragility. Definitely need quality testing on these M.2 screws. Way to fragile and very poor quality metal for such a high end board.

    Summation: 2 Zenith Mobos, 6 M.2 screws in total - 4 M.2 screws stripped completely , 2 M.2 screws stripped partially, 2 Rmas as a result

    Last edited by BigJob; 01-13-2018 at 04:05 AM.

  2. #2
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    26

    take a picture of the screwdriver your using, this sounds like you just using the wrong screwdriver, too big of a screwdriver you gonna strip it, too small your gonna strip it.

    I had 2 boards and didnt strip any and I used a cheap screwdriver that came with a 5 dollar ssd baykit.

    but yeah buy this and you will have no problem.
    https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-66-03...NZXBNYHCJQ9W0V

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    32
    Posts
    165

    Quote Originally Posted by JpArizona View Post
    take a picture of the screwdriver your using, this sounds like you just using the wrong screwdriver, too big of a screwdriver you gonna strip it, too small your gonna strip it.

    I had 2 boards and didnt strip any and I used a cheap screwdriver that came with a 5 dollar ssd baykit.

    but yeah buy this and you will have no problem.
    https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-66-03...NZXBNYHCJQ9W0V
    Wow so you opened the screws on both your mobos without a problem, glad to hear. So the problem maybe just me?

    Thanks for the recommendation on your screw driver. If any one else has any other recommendation for screw drivers and bits I am listening.

    & I have multiple screwdrivers and over 210 bits and nothing was working on my end. I even have the ones you sent me the amazon link to but from a different manufacturer, these size screw drivers are very hard to grip and hold and do not open any of the screws.

    I was told by Asus engineers themselves to use a #1 but here's what happened on board #2 even with that ( I used craftsman bit #1 ).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (1).jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	881.0 KB 
ID:	70497
    Last edited by BigJob; 01-13-2018 at 05:51 PM.

  4. #4
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by BigJob View Post
    Wow so you opened the screws on both your mobos without a problem, glad to hear. So the problem maybe just me?

    Thanks for the recommendation on your screw driver. If any one else has any other recommendation for screw drivers and bits I am listening.

    & I have multiple screwdrivers and over 210 bits and nothing was working on my end. I even have the ones you sent me the amazon link to but from a different manufacturer, these size screw drivers are very hard to grip and hold and do not open any of the screws.

    I was told by Asus engineers themselves to use a #1 but here's what happened on board #2 even with that ( I used craftsman bit #1 ).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (1).jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	881.0 KB 
ID:	70497
    IDK might just be bad luck on two messed up board? idk.

    did you attempt with w adrill first and after it stripped a lil tried a regular hand screwdriver? or?

    I know some people who use drills to unscrew and screw screws on but i think you shouldnt should only use your handtools that way you can never over torque etc.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    32
    Posts
    165

    Quote Originally Posted by JpArizona View Post
    IDK might just be bad luck on two messed up board? idk.

    did you attempt with w adrill first and after it stripped a lil tried a regular hand screwdriver? or?

    I know some people who use drills to unscrew and screw screws on but i think you shouldnt should only use your handtools that way you can never over torque etc.

    On the first board, I used strictly hand on tools and they all stripped.

    Second board, strictly hand on tools. Then I saw the screw being stripped so I decided to use a drill to test my luck and no use.

    The screws were pretty tightly bolted in to my motherboards, both of them.

    I bought so far $67 worth of screw drivers and screw bits to open these measly 3 screws. Just bought another 100 piece screw driver set just a few min ago for when I get my RMA back. This is unbelievable at this point.

    Here's a pic of the screw I was able to open but partially stripped.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (7).jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	808.3 KB 
ID:	70508

    Here's another look at the stripped screw on the 2nd board

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 (3).jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	929.7 KB 
ID:	70509

  6. #6
    New ROGer Array IvoSilva PC Specs
    IvoSilva PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Zenith Extreme
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Hexadeca-Core
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1SAPPHIRE Radeon™ RX Vega64 8G HBM2 Limited Edition
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken x62
    CaseThermaltake View 31 TG RGB
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Gold 1000W 80+ Gold
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion RGB Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset Sennheiser HD650
    OS Windows 10 Professional x64

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    25

    This is absolutely an ASUS issue. They are using thread locker on these tiny screws. Something absolutely UNNECESSARY and that is causing all this grief.

    You can clearly see the thread locker on those threads... The blueish gunk.

    I did remove mine without stripping but it requires a very good quality screwdriver and a lot of pressure.

    I am a mechatronic by trade and work with various types of mechanical electronics pneumatic etc equipments and this is absolutely unacceptable and unnecessary.

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    32
    Posts
    165

    Also there's this jittery jolly feeling that you get when you build or upgrade to a new pc. That whole "I'm so excited and can't wait to upgrade my pc" feeling has now left me since it's been so long with these RMAs.

  8. #8
    New ROGer Array IvoSilva PC Specs
    IvoSilva PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Zenith Extreme
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Hexadeca-Core
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1SAPPHIRE Radeon™ RX Vega64 8G HBM2 Limited Edition
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken x62
    CaseThermaltake View 31 TG RGB
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Gold 1000W 80+ Gold
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion RGB Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset Sennheiser HD650
    OS Windows 10 Professional x64

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    25

    You can heat the screwdriver with any heat source really. Even with direct flame if need be.

    But it is very understandable why one would not take this sort of step if not comfortable with it. And you really shouldn't have to...

    If the purchase was in store, locally, I would just ask for them to do it instead (open that cover). Online more difficult matter.

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array tencent PC Specs
    tencent PC Specs
    MotherboardX399 rog zenith extreme
    Processor1950X
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080ti
    Graphics Card #2GTX 1060
    Graphics Card #3GTX 1060

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    Using a precision screwdriver kit I still damaged the screws but managed to get them off and clear the threads of their threadlocker (why in the world would you threadlock something that needs to be removed so commonly?)

    My bigger issue is that stupid heatsink panel blocks full size gpus in the middle two slots. I'm pretty sure it blocks the top slot but I can't use that one as they conveniently put it as close to the CPU as possible. If you have a full size gpu look closely at your PCIE slot lock and see if it's actually locked down. If it is see if your card is being twisted or pushed against the nvme heatshield cover thing. Seems to me this 'heatsink' is 90% diffusing the LEDs and 10% functional as an actual heat sink. In either case it stupidly interferes with the middle two slots being used by full size PCIE cards. I wouldn't be surprised if people having stability issues are actually suffering poor PCIE connectivity due to this issue as it definitely caused me issues until I removed the cover allowing my card to seat properly.
    Last edited by tencent; 01-18-2018 at 04:44 PM.

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    32
    Posts
    165

    Quote Originally Posted by IvoSilva View Post
    You can heat the screwdriver with any heat source really. Even with direct flame if need be.

    But it is very understandable why one would not take this sort of step if not comfortable with it. And you really shouldn't have to...

    If the purchase was in store, locally, I would just ask for them to do it instead (open that cover). Online more difficult matter.
    Agreed, agreed but definitely good advice for someone that has the skills & would like to take the risk to open that. I saw a youtube video on how to take off the threadlocker with the heat and I'm going to pass, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by tencent View Post
    Using a precision screwdriver kit I still damaged the screws but managed to get them off and clear the threads of their threadlocker (why in the world would you threadlock something that needs to be removed so commonly?)

    My bigger issue is that stupid heatsink panel blocks full size gpus in the middle two slots. I'm pretty sure it blocks the top slot but I can't use that one as they conveniently put it as close to the CPU as possible. If you have a full size gpu look closely at your PCIE slot lock and see if it's actually locked down. If it is see if your card is being twisted or pushed against the nvme heatshield cover thing. Seems to me this 'heatsink' is 90% diffusing the LEDs and 10% functional as an actual heat sink. In either case it stupidly interferes with the middle two slots being used by full size PCIE cards. I wouldn't be surprised if people having stability issues are actually suffering poor PCIE connectivity due to this issue as it definitely caused me issues until I removed the cover allowing my card to seat properly.
    Wow another person with the issues with the screws, this solidifies without a doubt that it's the screws themselves with the threadlocker at this point. & lucky you, at least you were able to get yours off.


    Keep in mind, the first half of the M.2 panel it self is glossy and shiny, so if your screw driver slips and you hit the panel (very easy to do as I have done it multiple times on the first mobo's panel), you will scratch it permanently and you can't wipe it off and it is very VISIBLE!!!

    ~~~~~

    In regards to the M.2 panel blocking the 2 middle PCI-E slots if using full sized video cards like the Gtx 1080 or 1080 ti :

    Wow I see what you've pointed out and that is a cause for concern. I am shocked that you had to remove your panel entirely to even fit the graphics card. That shouldn't have to be... & yea I wonder too if other people are having issues with their graphics cards for not being seated properly from interfering with the M.2 panel's length. I can't believe they didn't check this in the manufacturing process. This seems like a bigger issue than the M.2 screws... Thanks for pointing this out.

    & I plan on putting my 1080 ti on the top slot & hopefully it doesn't interfere with the water cooler block where the cpu is.

    I've forwarded this thread to multiple asus departments, hopefully something positive comes of it very very soon.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13-119-003-V01.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	70707

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •