Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Also had the same problem, stripped 1 screw but got it open with a little force. definitely bad screws.

Regards,
    Acapulco.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by IvoSilva View Post
    PBSwiss is indeed expensive. But since it is a working tool so it is worth it in my case.

You can also check out the Wera stuff. They have some good tools at the right prices and sold on Amazon.

Felo is also good as is Wiha.

Hey yea, indeed those Pb Swiss pays off if the career requires it. I ordered a bunch of Wera insulated Philips #1s yesterday. They were like $4 each shipped. Got a bunch.

For the past week and a half, I have spent hours a day researching screw driver sets and am now addicted to screwdrivers & tool sets. Wiha and Wera are definitely nice ones as the quality is excellent. Snap-ons seem to be expensive but everyone seems to like them. I'll just settle with the Czech Republic made Weras for now. Maybe transfer to the German WIhas if anything changes.

Also have these other tool sets from Performance Tools that are decent but most likely won't be any where near as good as quality as the Weras.

I want to see a nice comparison bet. Wihas and Weras, although I do like the Wera's laser-tips.

As for a ratcheting driver, I may go with the Williams Wrs-1 or the Wera ratcheting set in the future, still undecided..

But so far bought over $120+ worth of screwdrivers and bit sets.

Quote Originally Posted by acapulco15 View Post
    Also had the same problem, stripped 1 screw but got it open with a little force. definitely bad screws.

Regards,
    Acapulco.
    Wow Thank you so much for letting us know this!!! I knew I wasn't the only one with this issue man. This helps a lot, hopefully the Asus reps see this and fix these screws!!!

New ROGer Array IvoSilva PC Specs
    IvoSilva PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Zenith Extreme
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Hexadeca-Core
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1SAPPHIRE Radeon™ RX Vega64 8G HBM2 Limited Edition
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken x62
    CaseThermaltake View 31 TG RGB
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Gold 1000W 80+ Gold
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion RGB Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset Sennheiser HD650
    OS Windows 10 Professional x64

Another technique would be to use heat.

Heat one of the screwdrivers to about 300c, then touch the screw with it and let the heat transfer for a few moments to the screw, that will weaken the threadlocker and allow for an easy removal.

You could also use a soldering iron to apply the heat, with the right sized tip, and then to the unscrewing.

The only problem where is this is done in hindsight, knowing you have threadlocker in place. But the first attempt most will not know this and just damage the screws like you did, unfortunately.
    Last edited by IvoSilva; 01-18-2018 at 04:52 AM.

Lightbulb

Another technique would be to use heat.

Heat one of the screwdrivers to about 300c, then touch the screw with it and let the heat transfer for a few moments to the screw, that will weaken the threadlocker and allow for an easy removal.

You could also use a soldering iron to apply the heat, with the right sized tip, and then to the unscrewing.

The only problem where is this is done in hindsight, knowing you have threadlocker in place. But the first attempt most will not know this and just damage the screws like you did, unfortunately.
    That advice is very good & helpful for a technician or mechanics or people that have experience with such tools. They will be more prepared with the tools and experience to do what you've stated.

I on the other hand have none of the tools nor the experience. I don't have any soldering iron experience and will probably screw things up if I tried and worse maybe void the warranty in the process. I will have to play the long game and wait for Asus to take these screws off and replace them with better ones that are easy to take off. Or if they don't take them off then hopefully the Wera screw driver sets that are in the mail does the trick.

You know, I pay over $500 of my hard earned money to a reputable company like Asus so I can avoid simpleton issues like these. I pay a higher premium price to Asus over other companies to lessen the chance of issues. The issue with the screws are of noobish company that has just entered the motherboard game. But to put threadlocking fluid on screws on a very high end mobo built by a veteran experienced reputable brand like Asus is so harmful and careless, especially since now I have lost a month and a half waiting on RMAs. Seriously Asus, you've damaged my trust. Multiple people have had a problem with these screws, so it's not just me. Who knows how many others have had issues with these that haven't reported.

And it's only half way done on my 2nd RMa, I won't be seeing this mobo until next Friday I estimate.

I work from my computer and have been unemployed for the past month + as a result. This sucks.
    Last edited by BigJob; 01-18-2018 at 05:43 AM.

Also there's this jittery jolly feeling that you get when you build or upgrade to a new pc. That whole "I'm so excited and can't wait to upgrade my pc" feeling has now left me since it's been so long with these RMAs.

New ROGer Array IvoSilva PC Specs
    IvoSilva PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Zenith Extreme
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Hexadeca-Core
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1SAPPHIRE Radeon™ RX Vega64 8G HBM2 Limited Edition
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken x62
    CaseThermaltake View 31 TG RGB
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Gold 1000W 80+ Gold
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion RGB Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset Sennheiser HD650
    OS Windows 10 Professional x64

You can heat the screwdriver with any heat source really. Even with direct flame if need be.

But it is very understandable why one would not take this sort of step if not comfortable with it. And you really shouldn't have to...

If the purchase was in store, locally, I would just ask for them to do it instead (open that cover). Online more difficult matter.

ROG Member Array tencent PC Specs
    tencent PC Specs
    MotherboardX399 rog zenith extreme
    Processor1950X
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080ti
    Graphics Card #2GTX 1060
    Graphics Card #3GTX 1060

Using a precision screwdriver kit I still damaged the screws but managed to get them off and clear the threads of their threadlocker (why in the world would you threadlock something that needs to be removed so commonly?)

My bigger issue is that stupid heatsink panel blocks full size gpus in the middle two slots. I'm pretty sure it blocks the top slot but I can't use that one as they conveniently put it as close to the CPU as possible. If you have a full size gpu look closely at your PCIE slot lock and see if it's actually locked down. If it is see if your card is being twisted or pushed against the nvme heatshield cover thing. Seems to me this 'heatsink' is 90% diffusing the LEDs and 10% functional as an actual heat sink. In either case it stupidly interferes with the middle two slots being used by full size PCIE cards. I wouldn't be surprised if people having stability issues are actually suffering poor PCIE connectivity due to this issue as it definitely caused me issues until I removed the cover allowing my card to seat properly.
    Last edited by tencent; 01-18-2018 at 04:44 PM.

You can heat the screwdriver with any heat source really. Even with direct flame if need be.

But it is very understandable why one would not take this sort of step if not comfortable with it. And you really shouldn't have to...

If the purchase was in store, locally, I would just ask for them to do it instead (open that cover). Online more difficult matter.
    Agreed, agreed but definitely good advice for someone that has the skills & would like to take the risk to open that. I saw a youtube video on how to take off the threadlocker with the heat and I'm going to pass, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by tencent View Post
    Using a precision screwdriver kit I still damaged the screws but managed to get them off and clear the threads of their threadlocker (why in the world would you threadlock something that needs to be removed so commonly?)

My bigger issue is that stupid heatsink panel blocks full size gpus in the middle two slots. I'm pretty sure it blocks the top slot but I can't use that one as they conveniently put it as close to the CPU as possible. If you have a full size gpu look closely at your PCIE slot lock and see if it's actually locked down. If it is see if your card is being twisted or pushed against the nvme heatshield cover thing. Seems to me this 'heatsink' is 90% diffusing the LEDs and 10% functional as an actual heat sink. In either case it stupidly interferes with the middle two slots being used by full size PCIE cards. I wouldn't be surprised if people having stability issues are actually suffering poor PCIE connectivity due to this issue as it definitely caused me issues until I removed the cover allowing my card to seat properly.
    Wow another person with the issues with the screws, this solidifies without a doubt that it's the screws themselves with the threadlocker at this point. & lucky you, at least you were able to get yours off.

Keep in mind, the first half of the M.2 panel it self is glossy and shiny, so if your screw driver slips and you hit the panel (very easy to do as I have done it multiple times on the first mobo's panel), you will scratch it permanently and you can't wipe it off and it is very VISIBLE!!!

~~~~~

In regards to the M.2 panel blocking the 2 middle PCI-E slots if using full sized video cards like the Gtx 1080 or 1080 ti :

Wow I see what you've pointed out and that is a cause for concern. I am shocked that you had to remove your panel entirely to even fit the graphics card. That shouldn't have to be... & yea I wonder too if other people are having issues with their graphics cards for not being seated properly from interfering with the M.2 panel's length. I can't believe they didn't check this in the manufacturing process. This seems like a bigger issue than the M.2 screws... Thanks for pointing this out.

& I plan on putting my 1080 ti on the top slot & hopefully it doesn't interfere with the water cooler block where the cpu is.

I've forwarded this thread to multiple asus departments, hopefully something positive comes of it very very soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13-119-003-V01.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	70707

Some update, got news that the Asus's Research & development team is looking into the M.2 screw issue in depth and that they are on the case!

This is good news & as of now the ball is rolling.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64

Currently use EK Threadripper block, I have no issue using top slot and/or issue with PCH/M.2 HS. RX VEGA 64 LE top slot, link, then with water block, link.

I also think using middle slots is non issue for me as quite a bit of the GPU already goes over the PCH/M.2 HS.

I have only undone PCH/M.2 screws once, el cheapo precision screwdriver set bought from Amazon, non issue for me.
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R5 3600 - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3800MHz C16 - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast