Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    Thank you for sharing your success story, glad you got yours working without any issues!

~~~~
    Cross link to others having issues on another thread. Found more people that have had issues with the m.2 screws!

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ere-m-2-shield
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ere-m-2-shield

Quote Originally Posted by RaskTreve View Post
    No, but because ASUS inanely put locktight on the screw threads, I stripped the heads even being very careful and using jewelers screwdriver set. I finally got them out, but my shield is removed because I need to find new screws.

Quote Originally Posted by masterac View Post
    happen to me too on the first, but i was luckier than you, i too the board on my lap and was able to put more strenght to unscrew all of them without damaging the others, and the first one still is ok so it put it back, but yea i feel you.

it a ****ty idea to use screw so small screwed by a robot at maximum strenght on a piece of gear you (human) is suppose to remove
    Last edited by BigJob; 01-20-2018 at 04:39 PM.

And another thread with another user having the same issue

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...2-installation
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...2-installation

Quote Originally Posted by eco_bach View Post
    Hi
    Having a difficult time with something that should be so simple. Trying to install a M.2 drive in my new Zenith Extreme mobo but to do so I have to first unscrew 3 tiny Phillips screws on the cover (see attached).

The problem is that they are screwed EXTREMELY tight! I am literally losing skin on my fingers trying to loosen!
    And yes I am turning counter clockwise!!

I am using tiny jeweller's screwdriver so the issue may be I simple can't generate enough torque to loosen.

Can anyone tell me which EXACT screwdriver I should be using?

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by BigJob View Post
    Thank you for sharing your success story, glad you got yours working without any issues!
    In the main people come to forums when they have an issue. People that don't may not and thus may not share their experience. I also think there must be more sold ZE boards than people posting experience on them. I could be wrong on all counts though .
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R7 2700X - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3533MHz C14 DC - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

ROG Member Array tencent PC Specs
    tencent PC Specs
    MotherboardX399 rog zenith extreme
    Processor1950X
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1080ti
    Graphics Card #2GTX 1060
    Graphics Card #3GTX 1060

@gupsterg the point being made is the screws do indeed have loctite on them which is beyond silly considering how easy the screws are to damage. This is proven by the number of people that have damaged the screws like myself. Even though my screws still function nominally I did cause visible damage removing them and I bet if you look closely you can easily tell your screws have been removed before purely because of how soft the screws are vs how much torque is required to break the loctite the first removal.

As for the gpu slot issue, considering threadripper is about being a workstation the fact that the second x16 slot is partially blocked by a heat sink combined with air cooling blocking the top slot is absurd. You should not need to go water cooling to use the top slot but from what I have seen that's your only option. This board, like the other TR boards, clearly got rushed out before proper QA cycles and we are all enduring the full price beta product punishment. Hopefully the TRv2 brings boards that don't suck so I can upgrade and end this hate hate relationship I have with my zenith 'extreme'. I assume the extreme is indication of it's dissapointment level considering it's price.
    Last edited by tencent; 01-21-2018 at 02:04 PM.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array gupsterg PC Specs
    gupsterg PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VII Ranger
    Processori5 4690K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Savage 2400MHz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM)
    MonitorAsus MG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Storage #2HGST 2TB
    CPU CoolerThermalRight Archon SB-E X2
    CaseSilverstone Temjin 06
    Power SupplyCooler Master V850
    Headset/Speakers HyperX Cloud
    OS Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64

AFAIK Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 has issue with 1st slot, link. As not au fait with what air coolers are there for TR I used list here to check others. It should be the only one that should have an issue. Besides the air coolers on that page none of the AIO would have an issue. So water cooling is not the only option to be able to use top slot.

As Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 is ~150mm wide, ie on larger side. I would think anyone considering using it would know based on past usage of large coolers/reviews of air coolers of that size, to check if it has an issue with ZE.

Manufacturers only have to stick to a "keep out" zone around socket, they are free to move socket around as they want.

I will inspect screws when next have case opening for cleaning rig .
    Intel Defector AMD Rebel

TR 1950X - Custom WC - Asus Zenith Extreme Alpha - G.Skill Trident Z 3400MHz C14 QC - RX VEGA 64
    R7 2700X - Custom WC - Asus Crosshair VII Hero - G.Skill Ripjaws V 3533MHz C14 DC - Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post
    In the main people come to forums when they have an issue...
    This is true considering the forums are themed to be more for troubleshooting and help purposes as opposed to for review purposes. Hence people that have good boards will typically not post threads stating how good their mobos are. But the point being with the M.2 screws on this thread is that multiple people that have the Zenith are experiencing the same issue and the issue is wide spread. The issue is big enough to impact multiple people and not just one sole user. That's what this thread's data was collectively gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by tencent View Post
    @gupsterg the point being made is the screws do indeed have loctite on them which is beyond silly...
    It's even sillier if you consider this isn't the first time Asus has used threadlock on their M.2 screws.

Here is a cross link to another thread from a user who had threadlock on the M.2 screws of his MAXIMUS VII IMPACT mobo back in 2015!

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...module)-Screws
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...module)-Screws

Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    I'm trying to add an M.2 SSD. To do so, you must remove 3 screws to take the cover off of the mPCIe Combo V module (it also holds the WiFi/Bluetooth components).

On one side there's a single screw which is tiny, but I was able to remove it, with too much force than I'd like. Noticed that there was blue threadlock on the screw, which seems like overkill.

There are 2 more screws on the other side. These are even smaller, and the Phillips head seems very shallow - not even the small watch repair tools get decent grip. I am completely unable to budge either of those screws. I suspect threadlock on those as well.

I took it into a computer repair shop, and he couldn't remove them either.

Questions:
    1. Surely someone else has used an M.2 SSD on this board at this point. Has anyone else enountered this?

2. Is there a shallow Phillips, or special tool we should be using?

3. If I RMA this, will all boards have the same threadlocked screws installed in the module or is it just a fluke in my case?

4. Could ASUS send one without the cover screwed on?
    Quote Originally Posted by RhysLewis View Post
    Hi Plemgm , I have the same issue !! .. even with the screws to tie the module down , they just turn and turn .. poor machining processs, and also those tiny screws I tried to drill out and fuked my M.2 board in the process.

Then I found the M.2 connector on the motherboard is faulty , as 2 pins get pushed up when inserting the module .. <-- help

Sigh ..

+ I have raised a support case for ASUS to answer , WHAT M.2 Devices are supported as their Doco is poorly lacking this .
    Last edited by BigJob; 01-21-2018 at 03:31 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Cory29 PC Specs
    Cory29 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Zenith extreme x399
    Processor1950x
    Memory (part number)G Skill F4-3200C16-8GTZ - 64gb
    Graphics Card #1GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti WF
    Monitorcintiq 22hd touch
    Storage #1Sam SSD 850 EVO 1TB
    CPU Coolerxspc block - D5 - 3x120 slim rad
    CaseView 71 (doesn't fit board)
    Power SupplyEVGA supernova 1000G3
    Keyboard K95

I ended up using a 3d printed screw driver head (for the first twist) - it only works a few times until i have to print a new one. you only need to invest about $4k to be able to buy a printer to print one

the metal is just to soft for how shallow the bit is

this board is just a mess all together

it has nice things but nothing is put together correctly

the shotty software ontop of everything adds insult to injury

still waiting for a rgb firmware and uefi that works has advertised so sad

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Cory29 View Post
    I ended up using a 3d printed screw driver head... you only need to invest about $4k to be able to buy a printer to print one
    Haha clever stuff you did there with the 3D printing.

& Investing $4k to open $.05 cent screws on a $500 board is a no no for almost everyone.

I think I made a terrible decision getting the Zenith this early.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

And to add even more insult to injury their RMA process is so slow.

First mobo I sent to them on Dec 16th, 2017 and I received a replacement on Jan 8th 2018, which means the RMA process took 23 days!!!!!!! MADNESSS!!!!

Second board, I sent to them on Jan 8, 2018 (Monday), they received it on January 10th (Wednesday) but didn't process it into the system until January 12th (Friday).

Then they took from January 12th to January 19th (next Friday) to finally update from "you mobo is in repair status" to "Material/spare part(s) shortage. Item is on order and/or incoming." They took 7 whole days to determine that the mother board needed parts!!!!!!

What the HELL Were they doing for 7 whole days that it took them 7 days to determine that the motherboard needed another M.2 Panel replacement?////? A full team from a reputable brand of FULLY GROWN MEN took 7 days to determine that the motherbaord needed extra parts!!!???????? YOU CAN"T BE SERIOUS!!!????

Want to hear the crazier part? They did the same exact thing with the first motherboard I sent in. They took 7 whole days with that one as well to finally figure out that the mother board needed a replacement M.2 Panel!!!!!! So this happened twice now!!!!!!!!

I think Asus lies about the status of the mother board when it says "in repair" status. There is no way someone is repairing a mother board for 7 days just to simply remove the M.2 screws (it was only one screw they had to remove as I already removed 2 of the 3 the 2nd time around)!!!

It is currently January 22nd, 2018 (Monday) & I have no motherboard!!! IT has been 38 days from Dec 16th, when I first sent in the first mobo!!! It has been 14 days so far for just the 2nd RMA !!!!

Every time I look at anything Asus, I will remember these drastic RMA times, 38 days and I have no working PC and I can't work. I have so many Asus products this hurts!!!

Last edited by BigJob; 01-25-2018 at 07:48 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Cory29 PC Specs
    Cory29 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Zenith extreme x399
    Processor1950x
    Memory (part number)G Skill F4-3200C16-8GTZ - 64gb
    Graphics Card #1GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti WF
    Monitorcintiq 22hd touch
    Storage #1Sam SSD 850 EVO 1TB
    CPU Coolerxspc block - D5 - 3x120 slim rad
    CaseView 71 (doesn't fit board)
    Power SupplyEVGA supernova 1000G3
    Keyboard K95

BigJob - Welcome to Asus

we sell x399 products but don't support them

at least you got to the RMA process

I started mine after christmas got a number never received shipping info - every-time i email back I get a new person responding with a different answer

Quote Originally Posted by Cory29 View Post
    BigJob - Welcome to Asus

we sell x399 products but don't support them

at least you got to the RMA process

I started mine after christmas got a number never received shipping info - every-time i email back I get a new person responding with a different answer
    Good grief, try chat or just directly call them. It's some stupid location in the middle of nowhere Indiana.

Take out the ampersand signs, this is a direct copy and paste from the email (minus my RMA number) of the address. This is how they sent it lol

"Please address and send the package to:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspASUS Service Center
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspAttn: RMA Dept, RMA#
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp121 River Ridge Circle, Dock C
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspJeffersonv ille, IN 47130"

cleaned up mess :

ASUS Service Center
    Attn: RMA Dept, RMA#
    121 River Ridge Circle, Dock C
    Jeffersonville, IN 47130

~~~

On another note, so many other issues I am reading about that others are having. I don't even have a functional mobo yet and it's already cost me so far 38 days. I'm in terrible fear of how many more days it may cost me if I incur any other further issues on the mobo.
    Last edited by BigJob; 01-22-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast