cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVIE + 7980XE Overclocking

techanalyst
Level 7
I've spent roughly 4 hours readying posts and forums, not many questions really answered, noticed the x99 seemed to have a larger enthusiast base more interested in OCing vs storage.

Those with the 7980XE any chance you can share bios settings or something. As I gather now it's not locking anything without turbo mode enabled, also notice a huge throttle (I have three rads, three pumps, water temp isn't even going up much).
27 REPLIES 27

Smart ass

Easily at the 4.2 mark with 1.01 so not horrible, ordered a new EK mono block so ill try for more one I get that end of this week and just put an order in for F4-4000C18Q2-64GTZR kit.

May also take the opportunity to replace my three Res's and three pumps with the new combined Res/Pumps (my loop was built in 2011 and havent once maintenanced it except for adding fluid every so often lol)

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Would need more info on what cooling you're currently using to comment, really.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Dual AX1500 Power supplies, three D5 Water Pumps, three EK-RES X3 250 and FOUR EK-CoolStream XE 480 (Quad) rads, they each fit three 120mm fans (need to replace some fans)

System was built for redundancy, all pumps still work, flow rate over 4 years dropped by 7%

Thought the blue fluids turned into a nice aqua lol

Shes really messy now but plan to give it a full clean up, replacing current res and pumps with the combo ones 😛 anyways, no one will say "Your cooling is weak"

cleaning gear picked up

techanalyst
Level 7
What happened to Chino of Halloween 😛 Normally just having a conversation or asking the question I usually get "Hey this is what I did" not "tell me about your system", you can assume not totally retarded, and my water systems about a 3000 build

EK mono block, four Rads, three Res's (overkill system) with three pumps. Just finished the monoblock install and running benchies scoring about 66 100% 🙂 so not to bad system use to cool four video cards

All EK Gear, built the look years ago, never failed. Anyways cooling system is overkill, no longer cools video cards (for now).

techanalyst wrote:
What happened to Chino of Halloween 😛 Normally just having a conversation or asking the question I usually get "Hey this is what I did" not "tell me about your system", you can assume not totally retarded, and my water systems about a 3000 build

EK mono block, four Rads, three Res's (overkill system) with three pumps. Just finished the monoblock install and running benchies scoring about 66 100% 🙂 so not to bad system use to cool four video cards

All EK Gear, built the look years ago, never failed. Anyways cooling system is overkill, no longer cools video cards (for now).

Well, you asked what OC is achievable on that CPU and for BIOS settings. On that CPU, cooling matters. If questions bore you then it's best to disclose everything if wanting a reasonable answer 🙂

If we're posting random pictures now, here's three GPUS in one of mine, too. 😉

Anyway, under what types of workloads is the system throttling? Need to work out why that's happening before we move to overclocking.

techanalyst
Level 7
Right now, Im kinda on here doing what I've done for over 10 years, asked people where they noticed it stable, Chino and Halloween use to help a tremendous amount. Example "heres the results i got with 1.X at 4.4 or 4.6

Preference not to blow up the cpu 😛

Looks pretty for sure, i plan to clean mine up, it use to cool CPU, Chipset, VRM and the GPUs, now its just doing the cpu

techanalyst wrote:
Right now, Im kinda on here doing what I've done for over 10 years, asked people where they noticed it stable, Chino and Halloween use to help a tremendous amount. Example "heres the results i got with 1.X at 4.4 or 4.6

Preference not to blow up the cpu 😛

Looks pretty for sure, i plan to clean mine up, it use to cool CPU, Chipset, VRM and the GPUs, now its just doing the cpu

Right, but if the system is throttling, then using someone else's settings might no be the best remedy as Raja has posted above, until you find out why. We can talk about watercooling and what overclocks are achievable all day, we all share that interest. Just thought you might want to get to the bottom of the problem first 🙂

RE your edit: Try setting a higher LLC firstly

Silent Scone wrote:
Right, but if the system is throttling, then using someone else's settings might no be the best remedy as Raja has posted above, until you find out why. We can talk about watercooling and what overclocks are achievable all day, we all share that interest. Just thought you might want to get to the bottom of the problem first 🙂

RE your edit: Try setting a higher LLC firstly

When i get back home Ill give her a go but I also have the ram issue, just paid to next day some from Germany (F4-4000C18Q2-64GTZR) and it should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday so maybe ill wait till then (where it doesnt want to boot randomly and i have to hit the reset button 30 times before she does detect the memory).

Once running though its fine, Prime95 for over 26 hours on weekend, no crashes, just weird boot issue