Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

RVIE + 7980XE Overclocking

I've spent roughly 4 hours readying posts and forums, not many questions really answered, noticed the x99 seemed to have a larger enthusiast base more interested in OCing vs storage.

Those with the 7980XE any chance you can share bios settings or something. As I gather now it's not locking anything without turbo mode enabled, also notice a huge throttle (I have three rads, three pumps, water temp isn't even going up much).

ROG Enthusiast Array birdman941 PC Specs
    birdman941 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsrock X299 Taichi XE
    Processori9 7900X (delidded)
    Memory (part number)64GB (4x16) Ballistix DDR4 2666 1.2V
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 1080ti SC2 hybrid
    Sound CardOnboard (Creative)
    MonitorLG - 27UD68 27" 4K
    Storage #14 x 280GB Intel Optane U.2 to M.2 in RAID0
    Storage #2Asus Hyper M.2 x 16 AIC
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i 280mm push/pull
    CaseEnermax Ostrog GT blue
    Power SupplyCorsair HX 1000i w/Blue braided cable set
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red
    Mouse Corsair M65 PRO RGB
    Headset Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 450
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300
    Headset/Speakers Creative SoundBlasterX Katana
    OS Win10 Pro OEM
    Accessory #1 Asrock Thunderbolt 3 AIC
    Accessory #2 Rockit Cool X299 delid tool
    Accessory #3 COUGAR Armor-S Gaming Chair

Smart ass

Easily at the 4.2 mark with 1.01 so not horrible, ordered a new EK mono block so ill try for more one I get that end of this week and just put an order in for F4-4000C18Q2-64GTZR kit.

May also take the opportunity to replace my three Res's and three pumps with the new combined Res/Pumps (my loop was built in 2011 and havent once maintenanced it except for adding fluid every so often lol)

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Would need more info on what cooling you're currently using to comment, really.

What happened to Chino of Halloween :P Normally just having a conversation or asking the question I usually get "Hey this is what I did" not "tell me about your system", you can assume not totally retarded, and my water systems about a 3000 build

EK mono block, four Rads, three Res's (overkill system) with three pumps. Just finished the monoblock install and running benchies scoring about 66 100% so not to bad system use to cool four video cards

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CGxjSoaUgAABNKA.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	70581

All EK Gear, built the look years ago, never failed. Anyways cooling system is overkill, no longer cools video cards (for now).

Dual AX1500 Power supplies, three D5 Water Pumps, three EK-RES X3 250 and FOUR EK-CoolStream XE 480 (Quad) rads, they each fit three 120mm fans (need to replace some fans)

System was built for redundancy, all pumps still work, flow rate over 4 years dropped by 7%

Thought the blue fluids turned into a nice aqua lol

Shes really messy now but plan to give it a full clean up, replacing current res and pumps with the combo ones :P anyways, no one will say "Your cooling is weak"

Name:	cooling.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	756.8 KB 
ID:	70583

Name:	fluids.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	617.7 KB 
ID:	70584

cleaning gear picked up

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techanalyst View Post
    What happened to Chino of Halloween :P Normally just having a conversation or asking the question I usually get "Hey this is what I did" not "tell me about your system", you can assume not totally retarded, and my water systems about a 3000 build

EK mono block, four Rads, three Res's (overkill system) with three pumps. Just finished the monoblock install and running benchies scoring about 66 100% so not to bad system use to cool four video cards

Name:	CGxjSoaUgAABNKA.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	70581

All EK Gear, built the look years ago, never failed. Anyways cooling system is overkill, no longer cools video cards (for now).

Well, you asked what OC is achievable on that CPU and for BIOS settings. On that CPU, cooling matters. If questions bore you then it's best to disclose everything if wanting a reasonable answer

If we're posting random pictures now, here's three GPUS in one of mine, too.

Name:	900x900px-LL-37f274b0_IMG_1126.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	70586

Anyway, under what types of workloads is the system throttling? Need to work out why that's happening before we move to overclocking.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ASUS; 01-15-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Right now, Im kinda on here doing what I've done for over 10 years, asked people where they noticed it stable, Chino and Halloween use to help a tremendous amount. Example "heres the results i got with 1.X at 4.4 or 4.6

Preference not to blow up the cpu :P

Looks pretty for sure, i plan to clean mine up, it use to cool CPU, Chipset, VRM and the GPUs, now its just doing the cpu

ROG Enthusiast Array Aysberg PC Specs
    Aysberg PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-7980XE
    Memory (part number)4 x F4-3200C14-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti GAMING OC
    Sound CardCreative SB Zx
    Monitor1x LG 34GK950G / 2 x HP DreamColor Z27x
    Storage #12 x Samsung NVMe 970 EVO 2TB / Samsung NVMe 3 x 960 EVO 1TB
    Storage #24 x SanDisk SDSSDHII960G
    CPU Coolercuplex kryos NEXT
    CaseLianLi PC-A75X
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1200i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
    Mouse Roccat KONE XTD Optical
    Headset AKG K712 + ModMic 5
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 1809
    Network RouterMikroTik CRS317-1G-16S+RM
    Accessory #1 Mellanox ConnectX-3
    Accessory #2 Asus Hyper M.2 X16 Card

I am running my 7980XE@4.2GHz synced all cores 24/7, 4.4GHz is not 100% stable and I get freezes from time to time, 4.6GHz is showing no real improvements over 4.4GHz in multi threaded tasks, so I think some throttling is going on. 4.8GHz is the same like 4.6GHz only single threaded tasks improve. System is on a custom water loop (cuplex kryos next, MO-RA3 420). CPU is not delidded.

I am super lazy and run most of the stuff on auto, jut setting the AVX offsets accordingly. Cache at 30x. Had no time for some real tweaking. Temps (according to HWInfo) are <60°C@4.2GHz 1,15v/ <70°C@4.4GHz 1,20v/ <75°C@4.6GHz 1,20v/ <82°C@4.8GHz 1,30v after some prime 720K runs.

Would love to know where the throttling comes from and fix this, before tweaking and finding the best voltages. I have all voltages on auto except VCIN 1.85v LLC5 (auto goes directly to 2.00v) and Cache with 1.05v. Could use some directions too. Would love to get 44 stable for 24/7 and maybe try to 46 or 48 at least on some cores.

I use my rig as workstation and for render jobs, so I cannot use it as a testbed all day long That's why I am quite happy with the auto results.

PS Tried setting LDPPL and SDPPL to max and still got this throttling. Frequency is still shown as 4.6GHz or 4.8GHz.
    Last edited by Aysberg; 01-15-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Your first posts states your system is throttling. Would get to the bottom of that before applying someone else's settings. Throttling can occur from a few sources: high CPU temps, high VRM temps, or VCCIN related throttling when the line sags below a given threshold. The former both occur when cooling is not sufficient to deal with the load, while the latter occurs when VCCIN is set too low.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast