cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Asus skip Sandy, Ivy, Haswell and Broadwell - meltdown & specter?

wootwoots
Level 7
I've read here
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7175&PN=2&title=bios-update-for-spectre-and-meltdown-for...
that Asus will only release update for 6th, 7th, and 8th gen CPUs
****This is not true. The advisory states those are being worked on, not that other platforms won't be worked on**** -xero

So, for "older" CPU / system we are fked ?
Do that mean if ( as exemple i have a hero VII ) is still under warranty, can i claim something from them not carring at all about the product i have ?
6 REPLIES 6

katlani
Level 9
Actually i've heard some bad things about older CPUs using the updates for this security issue, as system reboots unexpectedly.
Quite frankly, i own an 8th generation CPU now and refrained from updating the BIOS, as users with a similar system report games freezing with latest microcode update of the BIOS.

katlani wrote:
Actually i've heard some bad things about older CPUs using the updates for this security issue, as system reboots unexpectedly.
Quite frankly, i own an 8th generation CPU now and refrained from updating the BIOS, as users with a similar system report games freezing with latest microcode update of the BIOS.

yeah, but, what do that mean ? since they ditch "older" CPU that mean they leave us open to some vulnerability, can you complain about something about that ( if like me you still have a bit of the warranty left ? )

Well yes, personally i believe there is room for a complaint here.. especially if Intel provides the microcode update and ASUS do not intend on repacking it in the form of a new BIOS version.

Yee like you see Asus dont give a single f**k if u are using older motherboards. Solution for this is easy just never again buy anything from them.

At this point we do not know anything definitive about older stuff. We the customers do not know and it seems that even ASUS may not have decided since there has been no official statement saying it won't happen. So for now you'll have to subscribe to the main thread on this topic and wait patiently.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98738-SPECTRE-and-MELTDOWN-Bug-rocks-Intel-ARM-CPUs

Since this is unsupported speculation and not related to ASUS software products I'm locking this thread.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist
I posted a correction in the OP. The advisory states:
We are diligently working to update ASUS motherboards that support 6th, 7th or 8th Generation Intel Core™ processors or Intel Core X-series processors for X99 and X299 platforms

https://www.asus.com/News/V5urzYAT6myCC1o2

It does *not* state that no other platforms will be addressed in the future. Also the disclaimer at the bottom of the page states that it is subject to change and may be updated.

Honestly you should not be trusting an unidentified poster on a 3rd party forum saying something has been "announced" without providing a link.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…