cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SX Keyboard Backlight No Longer Works After Windows 8.1 Pro Install

xXTheOneRavenXx
Level 7
So as the thread title says, my G53SX keyboard backlight stopped working after I installed Windows 8.1 Pro. Before suggesting, yes I already checked ASUS's driver updates page for this model and all of my Windows updates have been installed. I can't seem to find a fix or a driver anywhere online. I heard it had to do with the ATK for some models, but haven't seen anything for this one. Just an FYI, this is a clean and legit install of Windows 8.1 Pro.

- Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

Darnassus
Status Under Review
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100010.zip?_ga=2.60244141...

Your unit was built for Win7, not Win10, expect problems. Try this driver.

BIOS version?

Darnassus wrote:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/ATKPackage/ATKPackage_Win7_64_Z100010.zip?_ga=2.60244141...

Your unit was built for Win7, not Win10, expect problems. Try this driver.

BIOS version?

I realize Windows 7 was the original OS for my unit. However given Windows 7 was released in 2009 and Windows 8 only 3 years later, I don't expect there to be any issues. Now if it were XP or Vista, I could see it. I do however thank you for the link though. Turns out, this one finally worked. 🙂 I now wonder if ASUS is going to add it to their driver downloads site for this model.

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-G53SX/HelpDesk_Download/

xXTheOneRavenXx wrote:
I realize Windows 7 was the original OS for my unit. However given Windows 7 was released in 2009 and Windows 8 only 3 years later, I don't expect there to be any issues. Now if it were XP or Vista, I could see it. I do however thank you for the link though. Turns out, this one finally worked. 🙂 I now wonder if ASUS is going to add it to their driver downloads site for this model.

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-G53SX/HelpDesk_Download/

Yes quite a few specific drivers were required to run Windows 8.1 on Asus Notebooks
ATK Package is package of Asus tools and driver for keyboard FN key and several other hardware items.

I found window 8.1 drivers for you notebook Asus Support Downloads
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes quite a few specific drivers were required to run Windows 8.1 on Asus Notebooks
ATK Package is package of Asus tools and driver for keyboard FN key and several other hardware items.

I found window 8.1 drivers for you notebook Asus Support Downloads

I know it's the ATK Package, however you just posted the link I already provided above and that I cited as not having the driver I was looking for. Even though it's for Windows 7, the one Darnassus posted above worked. That one isn't even on the downloads page for my make/model.

xXTheOneRavenXx wrote:
I know it's the ATK Package, however you just posted the link I already provided above and that I cited as not having the driver I was looking for. Even though it's for Windows 7, the one Darnassus posted above worked. That one isn't even on the downloads page for my make/model.

Yes that's how it works when you upgrade a Asus notebook beyond what Asus supports, you'll have to find drivers that work on you own.

I remember when up grading my G75VW to 8.1 Asus had us upgrade the BIOS before upgrading then most all worked with 7 drivers and they finally upgraded some drivers 8.1 versions. However Asus did not support Windows 10 at all. Sure some people found ways to get most things working on G75 on windows 10 but it took so work and not all things worked. I bought my G75 in 2012 and windows 10 was released in 2015 My G75 Is still running windows 8,1 and my sister is using it daily as her main compute.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

xXTheOneRavenXx wrote:

*facepalm* I could see it if Windows 8.1 drivers were not listed at all, then I would agree that it's not supported for my make/model. In this case Asus provides the Windows 8.1 OS drivers. However, they neglected to include the ATK package, which includes the function of the keyboard back light. So in other words, Asus does provide support for Windows 8.1 on the G53SX, but they failed to include all of the drivers related to its basic functions. I've actually had a Asus tech recommend upgrading my G53SX to Windows 8.1 when I sent it in for servicing before. Even he told me that Windows 8.1 was supported on it.