cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIO pump: where do you connect it?

Dan87
Level 8
Hi guys. I was wondering where did you connect your AIO pump. I have an h100i v2 and at the beginning I have connected it to the CPU header, then I switched to the pump header and I have connected an exhaust fan to the CPU header.

I have noticed that by switching to the pump header the AIO is extremely louder than it was when It was connected to the CPU header. I believe the reason is because now the pump constantly running at 100%. I was wondering if also the AIO fans are now running at 100% though which might be the reason why the AIO is so loud.

Any suggestion?

Thank you!
22 REPLIES 22

Gettinther
Level 7
Dan87 wrote:
Hi guys. I was wondering where did you connect your AIO pump. I have an h100i v2 and at the beginning I have connected it to the CPU header, then I switched to the pump header and I have connected an exhaust fan to the CPU header.

I have noticed that by switching to the pump header the AIO is extremely louder than it was when It was connected to the CPU header. I believe the reason is because now the pump constantly running at 100%. I was wondering if also the AIO fans are now running at 100% though which might be the reason why the AIO is so loud.

Any suggestion?

Thank you!

Connect the pump power cable to the CPU_FAN header on your motherboard. • Connect the fans to the two connectors coming off the pump. this is from the manual on corsair web site - Link > http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h100i-v2-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

SherardG
Level 7
For silence and to better control the pump+fans using your bundled software, connect to CPU_FAN then fans go to pump connection. If you want to control everything from BIOS (Using Q-FAN for example on AIS3) you can connect to AIO Pump, then your CPU fans through the CPU_FAN header directly. Please note that AIO pump header is high amp and will run your pumps at max speed all the time.

SherardG wrote:
For silence and to better control the pump+fans using your bundled software, connect to CPU_FAN then fans go to pump connection. If you want to control everything from BIOS (Using Q-FAN for example on AIS3) you can connect to AIO Pump, then your CPU fans through the CPU_FAN header directly. Please note that AIO pump header is high amp and will run your pumps at max speed all the time.

Which solution would you advise? I have read that the pump deteriorate faster if it's not set at a constant speed. However, it is my understanding that the most recent ones won't experience this issue.

@Gettinthere: I have tried what the corsair manual suggested at the beginning, but the z270h motherboard has an AIO pump header so you have alternatives which is why I'm asking to share experiences. I'd like to understand what's the best setup. For sure I can tell you that the one advise by Corsair is the most quiet so far but I'm not sure if that's optimal. I am no expert and this is my first AIO, so I'm even seeking some advise on how to set the bios in case I decide to connect the AIO to the pump header instead of the CPU header.

Dan87 wrote:
Which solution would you advise? I have read that the pump deteriorate faster if it's not set at a constant speed. However, it is my understanding that the most recent ones won't experience this issue.

@Gettinthere: I have tried what the corsair manual suggested at the beginning, but the z270h motherboard has an AIO pump header so you have alternatives which is why I'm asking to share experiences. I'd like to understand what's the best setup. For sure I can tell you that the one advise by Corsair is the most quiet so far but I'm not sure if that's optimal. I am no expert and this is my first AIO, so I'm even seeking some advise on how to set the bios in case I decide to connect the AIO to the pump header instead of the CPU header.

heheehehehehehehehehehe hohohohohoho hahahaha ... Welcome to the Team; I screwed my AIO.*
This is why they say if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Tried all those temping headers your brain told you to experiment? 😉 now, live with a loud fan that will haunt you all ur life.... AI Suite App is broken, thanks to Asus for their No Support Policy. Lol. 3-pin fan needs to see a trash bin now,,, and get a four pin now.
I did the same with me OEM machine Tytan g30ab 😞
The fan spun so fast that my whole machine took off like some alien helicopter..with all my downloaded p-movies etc., 😞 *

Marcello_S
Level 7
I suggest you to read carefully the manual as you'll get all the info you need.

Marcello.S wrote:
I suggest you to read carefully the manual as you'll get all the info you need.

Obviously you havent come to the cross roads where the Motherboard AIO instructions tells you one thing and then the AIO manufacturer tells you another way of setting it up.
I am still tryna work out if AI suite 3 fan control is clashing with iCUE and ontop of that is using AI suite better for my video card OC and for control or is the actual ASUStweak 2 software better which comes with the card... ahhh the fun and joy of it all

M4D5TYL3Z wrote:
Obviously you havent come to the cross roads where the Motherboard AIO instructions tells you one thing and then the AIO manufacturer tells you another way of setting it up.
I am still tryna work out if AI suite 3 fan control is clashing with iCUE and ontop of that is using AI suite better for my video card OC and for control or is the actual ASUStweak 2 software better which comes with the card... ahhh the fun and joy of it all

You can connect the AIO to any header you want. The purpose of connecting it to the CPU_FAN header is that if the pump fails you get an warning and\or the PC will shut down. All that AIO connection is doing is reading the pump tach.

DerekAz wrote:
You can connect the AIO to any header you want. The purpose of connecting it to the CPU_FAN header is that if the pump fails you get an warning and\or the PC will shut down. All that AIO connection is doing is reading the pump tach.

Are you sure about that? On my ROG x470-f gaming there is a w.pump header. Manual says it's at 3 amps, unlike all the other hearders that are just 1 amp.

blaQblaQ wrote:
Are you sure about that? On my ROG x470-f gaming there is a w.pump header. Manual says it's at 3 amps, unlike all the other hearders that are just 1 amp.

Absolutely sure. The instructions in every Corsair AIO I have owned are very clear to use the CPU_FAN header for the pump connection, it's a PC safety/protection issue. I would assume most other AIO manufacturers do also. I've been connecting the AIO pump there without issue for years, they aren't high amp. That 'w.pump' header is designed for separate hand made water cooling systems/loops.