cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New gaming system on X299-E - having second thoughts and looking for suggestions

Homerjsimpso
Level 7
Hey all,

Looking to build a system and this is what I have specced out:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zLznkT

But now that I've orderred everything on NewEgg, I'm reading that i7-7800X and the X299 aren't that hot compaared to the 7700k (not to mention can save me $150). I've read countless articles, and there isn't anything that hands down convinces me. What do you think? I use the PC 80% office work but on 3 4k displays, and 20% gaming but I'm not sure what I'll be getting into gaming wise. Just looking to upgrade a rig and then see what I want to play.

Video card wise, I'm hapy with the EVGA 1070 FTW based on what I've read and balancing budget and performance. Just CPU wise I'm at a standstill.

Help? 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey there Homerjsimpso

Just a couple of points..queries...questions

If you go for x299 you should really be using it's quad channel memory you have a dual channel kit in the list

or if dual channel is cool for your use case then ...I'd honestly go for an AMD system right now....you could get an 1800X with two more cores for the same money and a top of the line crosshair vi extreme...

If the system is for gaming, Z370 is hard to beat. IPC is still king when it comes to gaming performance. X299 is more deserving of the higher core SKUs, and as mentioned above, at least 4 DIMMs to utilise the platforms memory bandwidth.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hey there Homerjsimpso

Just a couple of points..queries...questions

If you go for x299 you should really be using it's quad channel memory you have a dual channel kit in the list

or if dual channel is cool for your use case then ...I'd honestly go for an AMD system right now....you could get an 1800X with two more cores for the same money and a top of the line crosshair vi extreme...

Of course, it's also worth mentioning that the 1800X is behind Intel in terms of gaming performance for the most part.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Of course, it's also worth mentioning that the 1800X is behind Intel in terms of gaming performance for the most part.

Yeah I guess that is still true...though I haven't looked lately. Though the difference was less and less at higher resolutions and I guess GPU choice has a much bigger effect here.

OP...Might do to check benchmarks for the specific games you are going to play at your resolution to see if there is a significant difference between the two.
If you are committed Intel then pure gaming I don't think X299 is really necessary as you have seen. But more multi-role systems these days like cores...

For the CPU, I highly recommend going here instead.
Same money, better end result.

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/skylake-x/products/7800x49g

Also, I would not even think of air cooling a Skylake X.
Memory option https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJ88NJ9/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I16RS9LJ0OWU7A&colid=3PLISWMK0FLA0&th=1