cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Extreme x16/x0/x16/x8

atharos
Level 7
Hello,
The Rampage VI Extreme's user guide has an annotation about having to use a 4-Way SLI Bridge for x16/x0/x16/x8 PCIe 3.0 Lane mode. My question is, what exactly does this mean ? Are there connectors on the motherboard you need to connect ? Any special requirements ? I'm asking because I'd like to use 2 GPUs, both running in x16 mode, and a x8 40Gbit network card. How exactly does the Lane routing work ? Are all of those x16/x0/x16/x8 lanes regular ones directly from the CPU, without switches or sharing lanes ? Or does "using a 4 -way SLI bridge" just refer to the first and last card being in slots 1 and 4, so you need a SLI bridge which spans that gap?

So basically, what I'm asking is: if I want to have 2 GPUs in PCIe 3.0 x16 mode each and the 40Gbit card running in PCIe 3.0 x8 mode, do I have to do anything besides plugging them into PCIe 3.0 x16_1 , x16_3 and x8_4 slots ?
Best regards
1 REPLY 1

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The 4-way bridge requirement is because of slot spacing. If only using 2 videos cards in the x16/x16 slots use the bridge that fits that configuration and place the network card in the x8 slot.