cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclock i5-8600k with some benchmarks

samuel9521
Level 7
Hi All,
I have an intel core i5-8600k overclocked to 5GHz at 1.33V, but I tested it at 1.39V @5.1GHz, and it seems to be stable.
Do you think it's safe to set this voltage for everyday usage?
Thanks in advance
32 REPLIES 32

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
samuel9521 wrote:
Hi All,
I have an intel core i5-8600k overclocked to 5GHz at 1.33V, but I tested it at 1.39V @5.1GHz, and it seems to be stable.
Do you think it's safe to set this voltage for everyday usage?
Thanks in advance

Yes, up to 1.4v is fine on that CPU. Just be sure to try and keep temps under 80C. For the jump in voltage required, it's arguably not worth it.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Ok I tried lowering the voltage below 1.39V @5.1GHz, but it's unstable.
With that voltage, I managed to set the max cache ratio at 45, and the system passed aida64 stress test and various benchmarks, like Geekbench 4, Cinebench R15 and CPU-Z with a maximum temperature of 72°. I also set the CPU current capability to 120%, while drams are running @3866MHz at 1.4V with VCCIO at 1.1875V, VCCSA at 1.2125V and 15-15-15-36 timings.

Here are some results if you want to compare:

Cinebench R15: 223cb single-core, 1285cb multi-core

Geekbench 4: 6608 single-core, 26082 multi-core

CPU-Z: 617.2 single-core, 3618.3 multi-core

Aida64: 62585 CPU Queen, 8330MB/s CPU Hash, 31555MPx/s CPU PhotoWorxx, 975.9GFloPS Single-Precision, 486.8GFloPS Double-Precision

Bronson
Level 7
Hi Samuel9521, can you tell me the settings in the bios you use?
i am having trouble getting my i5 8600k over 5ghz, runnign at the mom 4.9ghz at 1.4 volt. anything lower boots but my games keep crashing.

Actually I had some random crashes at 5.1GHz, so I went down to 5.

Note that my settings may not work with your system, exceptionally for DRAM settings.

My current settings are:

AI Overclock TunerManual
BCLK Frequency100.0000
ASUS MultiCore EnhancementDisabled
SVID BehaviorAuto
AVX0
CPU Core RatioSync All Cores
-1 to 6-Core Ratio Limit50
BCLK Frequency : DRAM Frequency RatioAuto
DRAM Odd Ratio ModeEnabled
DRAM FrequencyDDR4-3866MHz
TPUKeep Current Settings
Power-saving & Performance ModePerformance mode
CPU SVID SupportDisabled
CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max255.50
CPU Graphics Current Limit255.50
Ring Down BinAuto
Min CPU Cache RatioAuto
Max CPU Cache Ratio45
Max CPU Graphics Ratio25
BCLK Aware Adaptive VoltageAuto
CPU Core/Cache VoltageManual Mode
-CPU Core Voltage Override1.345
DRAM Voltage1.4058
CPU VCCIO Voltage1.0875
CPU System Agent Voltage1.1375
CPU Graphics VoltageOffset Mode
-CPU Graphics Voltage Offset0.150
PCH Core Voltage1.00000
CPU Standby VoltageAuto
DRAM TIMING CONTROL
DRAM CAS# Latency15
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay15
DRAM RAS# ACT Time36
INTERNAL CPU POWER MANAGEMENT
Intel SpeedStepDisabled
Turbo ModeEnabled
Long Duration Package Power Limit4095
Package Power Time Window127
Short Duration Package Power Limit

TWEAKER'S PARADISE
FCLK Frequency1GHz
ADVANCED\CPU CONFIGURATION\CPU - POWER MANAGEMENT CONTROL
Intel SpeedStepDisabled
Turbo ModeEnabled
CPU C-statesDisabled
CFG LockDisabled
Intel Speed Shift TechnologyDisabled

Bronson
Level 7
Ok, thanks for the info, i tried them but still no luck on getting 5ghz stable.
I currently use your settings with 4.9ghz @ 1,36volt with max temps at 70C.
i also tried different digi+ vrm settings
cpu llc - lv5
cpu current capacity - 140%
vrm switching frequenzy - manual , at 500

I hope to break that 5ghz barrier on my i5 8600k. if you have any ideas, i plan on deliding it but not now.

av3nger
Level 7
Stable clocks at 5ghz can get tricky with i5. The motherboard can play a huge factor. What motherboard are you running?
i5 7600k 5.0Ghz--3200Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 16 GB-- Asus Maximus IX Formula--
Asus GTX 1080 TI ROG--Samsung 840 pro Boot-- Samsung 840 pro game-- Seagate 2TB--
Phantom 820 case-- Kraken x62 CPU cooler-- EKWB Res/pump/rad for Formula VRM cooler.

Bronson
Level 7
Hello av3nger,

i am using the Asus ROG Z370 F.
My CPU cooler is the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3.
you can see al my specs under my name.
at the moment i am just happy if can get my earlier 4.9ghz stabel again 😞
i have been playing around so much that its not stabel anymore.

Bronson
Level 7
Hi,
long time no see 😄
with the new bios 1406, i got it stabel at 4.9 ghz with your settings (except the ram). i should get higher settings on my ram since the sticks are rated higher then my current 3200mhz, hmm maybe i should try loosening the timings a little.
also i was just looking into BCLK overclocking, it seems to give a little more performance.

samuel9521
Level 7
Hi Bronson, nice to see that you didn't give up 😄

Here I attached screenshots of my stable bios settings for 5GHz. I think you should try to overclock your system in an ordered way as I did (the bios offers you a way to save your settings in the Tool menu):
1) set all the values from Auto to their default ones (for example 43 in CPU Core Ratio and 2133 for RAM frequency), and set all the power settings as in my screenshots;
2) overclock your RAM by changing frequency, timings and voltage;
3) overclock your CPU just by changing ratio and voltage (you will have set all the power and llc settings in digi+ vrm page at step 1);
4) overclock FCLK and Cache.

With your RAM, you should use their factory overclocked speed (mine is 3866), set both VCCIO and VCC System Agent to 1,25, and then you could try lowering the timings together with the voltages (if your sticks are good, you should be able to reach 1,5 V but i don't think it's worth, and in some cases VCCIO and VCCSA can get quite low - i set them to 1,075 and 1,125).
Before changing the timings, try using 1N as the DRAM Command Rate, and if it fails booting up or if it's unstable, just set it to 2N.

In order to test RAM stability, I recommend you this software: http://virgilioborges.com.br/hyperpi/
Run the test on all cores with 32M digits, it will take 7 to 11 mins to complete. If an error occurs, it means that your overclock is unstable.

During your tests, run a 10 mins stress test in Aida64 and see if it's all good (temperatures too, with my settings I get an average of 69°C with a CM MasterLiquid Pro 240).
Try also doing multiple benchmarks with softwares like Cinebench, Geekbench, CPU-Z, etc.

I don't know pretty much anything about BCLK overclock, I tried it some times but I failed, and I don't actually think it's worth doing it with a mainstream CPU, maybe it could be nice on a server machine.