ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

Is AMD REALLY ready for Prime Time?

I've been holding off on a new build waiting for the X390 chipset to plunk a Coffee Lake processor into it. I'd been tempted by AMD's new exciting kit and disappointed by Intel's itty bitty advances and silly pricing over the last 3 years. But I was planning on sticking with Intel as I've found Intel to be a pretty stable platform all in all. However, while waiting along comes Meltdown and Spectre. And just now I see Arne's thread (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99129). Makes me wonder...should AMD be part of my next build?

I had kicked around an AMD build a few weeks ago. As a huge Athlon fan from the past (when I really developed my overclocking and modding skills) I'd like to get back to trying AMD again now that they have some kick ass product. However, I remember the teething days from the past as well, and now I see quite a few threads that give the appearance that AMD systems are not completely smoothed out yet. Although I don't mind tinkering, I am older now and I need my systems and apps to work pretty seamlessly....unless I am the one pushing the envelope with a heavy overclock.

The AMD forums seem filled with reports of niggling issues. Memory profiles, weird hibernation issues, problems with Aura features, fan control goblins, and a bunch of other things. So I'd like true feedback from the AMD guys here: Is AMD ready for prime time? Or does the stew need to cook up a little longer? AMD has gen2 Ryzen just around the corner. I would appreciate honest comments regarding both Ryzen and Threadripper.

Thanks

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array SlackROG PC Specs
    SlackROG PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2133 C13
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1060 06G-P4-6262-KR
    Sound CardMotherboard - Onboard
    MonitorMSI Optix G24C
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro SSD 128GB
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U14S
    CaseFractal Design Meshify
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3
    Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS Pro
    Mouse Kingston HyperX Pulsefire
    Mouse Pad Kingston HyperX
    OS Slackware 14.2 x64 & Windows 10 x64

It's not complicated if you look at it from a Production Date point of view, how long and Mature the hardware is.

If I'm correct Ryzen came out Feb. 2017, this is just reaching 1 year, and you are talking about X390, which was July 2017, which makes it 6 months, and this is Bleeding Edge Technology...

Bleeding Edge or Mature, that's the question for what you want to run...

Of course some things can be bleeding edge and they turn out awesome, but how often is that.

Depending on how things work out, I personally don't mess with hardware, unless it's all 1-2 years of age, but in my course of Geeking, I'd say 1 year 6 months has been more the norm for me, one year has been rare...

Bugs take time...

OH and let's not forget, waiting means lower prices too! LOL
    Last edited by SlackROG; 01-14-2018 at 11:05 PM.