cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is AMD REALLY ready for Prime Time?

mdzcpa
Level 12
I've been holding off on a new build waiting for the X390 chipset to plunk a Coffee Lake processor into it. I'd been tempted by AMD's new exciting kit and disappointed by Intel's itty bitty advances and silly pricing over the last 3 years. But I was planning on sticking with Intel as I've found Intel to be a pretty stable platform all in all. However, while waiting along comes Meltdown and Spectre. And just now I see Arne's thread (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99129). Makes me wonder...should AMD be part of my next build?

I had kicked around an AMD build a few weeks ago. As a huge Athlon fan from the past (when I really developed my overclocking and modding skills) I'd like to get back to trying AMD again now that they have some kick ass product. However, I remember the teething days from the past as well, and now I see quite a few threads that give the appearance that AMD systems are not completely smoothed out yet. Although I don't mind tinkering, I am older now and I need my systems and apps to work pretty seamlessly....unless I am the one pushing the envelope with a heavy overclock.

The AMD forums seem filled with reports of niggling issues. Memory profiles, weird hibernation issues, problems with Aura features, fan control goblins, and a bunch of other things. So I'd like true feedback from the AMD guys here: Is AMD ready for prime time? Or does the stew need to cook up a little longer? AMD has gen2 Ryzen just around the corner. I would appreciate honest comments regarding both Ryzen and Threadripper.

Thanks
1 REPLY 1

SlackROG
Level 10
It's not complicated if you look at it from a Production Date point of view, how long and Mature the hardware is.

If I'm correct Ryzen came out Feb. 2017, this is just reaching 1 year, and you are talking about X390, which was July 2017, which makes it 6 months, and this is Bleeding Edge Technology...

Bleeding Edge or Mature, that's the question for what you want to run... 🙂

Of course some things can be bleeding edge and they turn out awesome, but how often is that.

Depending on how things work out, I personally don't mess with hardware, unless it's all 1-2 years of age, but in my course of Geeking, I'd say 1 year 6 months has been more the norm for me, one year has been rare...

Bugs take time...

OH and let's not forget, waiting means lower prices too! LOL 😉