cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone tell me where Asus puts downloads of MB updates?

alternety2
Level 7
I have downloaded (according to Asus) updates fro the BIOS and another update. I have been completely unable to find where they have put the files.

Can anyone tell me where Asus stashes them?

As an aside, if there is someone from Asus here, maybe convincing the people who do the web site to allow a users choice of download location instead of bypassing all the normal options or defaulting to some annoying MS process.
8 REPLIES 8

toronto699
Level 13

I don't understand the response.

The files have downloaded. I am not asking where to find them on the Asus site; I am asking where Asus has put them on my PC. I can not find them.

toronto699
Level 13
They are Not In Downloaded Files? That's the default for down loaded files in most cases , you should make your first question clearer, in W10 type name of file in the search box lower left , should show folder with the downloaded file

I found them. After much paging about.

They are under :

Disk C - users - a user name- app data-local-temp

Nothing in the file names say Asus, so they are a bit tricky to identify. I finally sorted by date and that helped.

When downloading, Asus makes no effort to confirm the download. No feedback for the user. I have multiple copies of the downloads because I kept trying to download because nothing meaningful seemed to be happening. It really should not be this hard.

alternety2 wrote:
I found them. After much paging about.

They are under :

Disk C - users - a user name- app data-local-temp

Nothing in the file names say Asus, so they are a bit tricky to identify. I finally sorted by date and that helped.

When downloading, Asus makes no effort to confirm the download. No feedback for the user. I have multiple copies of the downloads because I kept trying to download because nothing meaningful seemed to be happening. It really should not be this hard.

Hello

This is not an issue with ASUS. The operating system is what handles, confirms and places the downloads in the appropriate folders. It is the user's responsibility to know where the default saving location is or specify a different location.

I beg to differ a bit.

Typically when I download something with Fire Fox, it brings up a small window that lets me decide where the file being downloaded should be put. That is a standard feature of FF and user configuration tells it to offer the choice.

What Asus is doing is bypassing this function of FF and putting files where they want to. I really don't remember seeing any downloads showing up in that temp directory before. There were none in the 9GB that directory contains. So it is not the normal place for downloads to go. An aside, I need to clean out that directory.

In this case, I used a FF addon called down them all. It dealt with Asus just fine and put things where I wanted. I don't usually use that app because it is not necessary with pretty much all the sites I tend to encounter.

alternety2 wrote:
I beg to differ a bit.
In this case, I used a FF addon called down them all. It dealt with Asus just fine and put things where I wanted. I don't usually use that app because it is not necessary with pretty much all the sites I tend to encounter.

Please, stop where you are! It's not ASUS's ignorance you're describing here. Further complaints should be directed inward or at "In this case, I used a FF addon called down them all".

I generally agree. And I really was not trying to start an argument, but I don't believe I have blamed MS. My opinion, evidenced by what I have said about the process, leaves it directly in the lap of Asus.

MS does not put downloads where I have noted they were finally found. They put the files in "Downloads". Understand that the "-" in my list of successive folders/sub directories does indeed mean folder names. It is hierarchical.

Perhaps this is clearer. The path to the files:
Disk C: /users/user bob/app data/local/temp

The downloaded files are in the lowest level of the directories - temp. To the best of my knowledge, this is not what MS ever does. Win 10 (which I have been using since rather early in the initial release and am on the creators edition for a month or two, has never done this. I download a lot of things. Win 10 has some serious strangeness and keeps doing everything it can come up with to make you switch from tried and true applications to some of their crap. But this is something else.

I have never ever seen a download put in that location. MS putting everything in Downloads is annoying, but that is what they do.