cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Press the Power button twice in Erp mode

wing_man
Level 7
I noticed if I Erp S5 or S4 & S5 under APM configuration enabled I must press the power button twice to power the PC. The first time the PC powers for about a second and then turns off. The second time it will power up normally. I must add I have Windows Fast Startup off. When Fast Startup is enabled if you press a key on the keyboard the keyboard lights up and I don't like that.

Has anybody noticed this behavior? On my last build with a Maximus 7 hero I didn't have this problem using S5. I like S5 because everything is powered off.

If I turn off the power supply switch and then switch it back on I get the same results without the Erp enabled. The ErP S5 is the same as removing Power to the PC. Could somebody with a Maximus X Hero try turning the Power supply switch off and back on and see if the PC will boot with one press of the power button? With the Power Supply switch off press the power button and hold down to discharge MB then turn switch back on.

I just found out that if I press the power button once and wait the PC powers up then down and then back up and boots normally.
6 REPLIES 6

MoonFrost
Level 7
wing_man wrote:
I noticed if I Erp S5 or S4 & S5 under APM configuration enabled I must press the power button twice to power the PC. The first time the PC powers for about a second and then turns off. The second time it will power up normally. I must add I have Windows Fast Startup off. When Fast Startup is enabled if you press a key on the keyboard the keyboard lights up and I don't like that.

Has anybody noticed this behavior? On my last build with a Maximus 7 hero I didn't have this problem using S5. I like S5 because everything is powered off.

If I turn off the power supply switch and then switch it back on I get the same results without the Erp enabled. The ErP S5 is the same as removing Power to the PC. Could somebody with a Maximus X Hero try turning the Power supply switch off and back on and see if the PC will boot with one press of the power button? With the Power Supply switch off press the power button and hold down to discharge MB then turn switch back on.

I just found out that if I press the power button once and wait the PC powers up then down and then back up and boots normally.

I built my system around Christmas. Asus formula X, I7 8700k, 1080ti.

Exact same issue. With ErP enabled in S5, I press power: pc powers on, light flashes and fans spins for half a second, flicks off, then powers on as normal(I don't have to press power twice)

ErP disabled this doesn't occur. Pc starts right away, but my USB microphone light continually shines lighting up my living room at night a cool blue.

Here's a video showing exactly what happens with ErP enabled:
https://youtu.be/Ndf6A9g2phU

Raja
Level 13
For the op, this may have something to do with the psu you are using. It's possible the rail isnt pulling up as required by the board.

The rig starting twice with erp enabled is normal. Just the way power needs to be sequenced.

Feklar
Level 8
Same thing here. My Rampage VI Apex does it, my Maximus X Hero does it. My Maximus X Apex and the Apex IX both did not have this anomaly. I am using the same psu for all of these boards. Disabling S5 cures the issue. I believe Elmor verified this on his board as well.

i9 12900k + Asus Maximus Z690 Apex + EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000l XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK+ Samsung 870 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Fractal Meshify 2 XL case
Ek Velocity 2 CPU block, Ek GPU block
Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro

Feklar wrote:
Same thing here. My Rampage VI Apex does it, my Maximus X Hero does it. My Maximus X Apex and the Apex IX both did not have this anomaly. I am using the same psu for all of these boards. Disabling S5 cures the issue. I believe Elmor verified this on his board as well.

Board models often utilize rail distribution according to the platform and the number/type of onboard devices, so it's not surprising to see different behaviour.

Same here maximus X hero, never had such "problem" with maximus vii hero.
I thought it's just something to do with O/C, I guess not.

Feklar
Level 8
That makes sense. I only use s5 to turn off the onboard led's. I'm using the Hero X right now so I can leave s5 disabled since only the start button is illuminated when it's off. It would be convenient if there was an option in the bios to disable the onboard led's when the unit is powered off. Similar to the option with the aura led's.

i9 12900k + Asus Maximus Z690 Apex + EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000l XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK+ Samsung 870 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Fractal Meshify 2 XL case
Ek Velocity 2 CPU block, Ek GPU block
Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro