cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant get new build running

Rolyat
Level 7
Hello everyone,

When I first finished the build I was getting a no-post with an 0d code error and the VGA light on. I pulled everything out of the case and set everything up on the mobo box to test outside the case and was able to get into my bios. The 0d error and VGA light were also gone, only the green boot light was on with an A9 code. I then installed everything back into the case and had no issues getting into bios so I installed Windows 10.

After Windows finished I moved the computer from the area I was working on it to where my old computer used to be and now on start up I get a black screen and the VGA light is on again. The Q-code flips through a number of codes but eventually settles on Q-code 40 or 24. I checked all the power cords on the mobo and found that one of the two 4pin connectors that I use for the 8pin ATX only had two pins in and the other two were hanging off the side. Could that have permanently damaged my hardware? I also have an old RX 460, should I try that instead of my 580 to see if its a GPU issue?

Specs:

Ryzen 7 1800x

ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero X370

MSI Radeon RX 580

G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB DDR4

500GB SSD

2TB HDD

Thermaltake 850w PSU

Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV case
20 REPLIES 20

lightknightrr
Level 7
> that one of the two 4pin connectors that I use for the 8pin ATX only had two pins in and the other two were hanging off the side

Did you put it back? Try a different power supply?

lightknightrr wrote:
> that one of the two 4pin connectors that I use for the 8pin ATX only had two pins in and the other two were hanging off the side

Did you put it back? Try a different power supply?

Yes I put it back in and still have the same problems. Have yet to try a different power supply.

Tried a different power supply and a different GPU and I still get the VGA light on with a black screen.

lightknightrr
Level 7
Pics or it didn't happen (video would be better). I'm having trouble visualizing this.

I'll go through what has happened so far to try to clear anything up.

When I first booted the computer up I was getting a no-post with error code 0d and VGA light. I was able to get into bios with version 1002 and 1701 while the computer was setup outside the case. I used a USB flash drive to update to version 1701 and everything seemed fine and dandy so I put everything in the case again. Boot up went just fine and I installed Windows 10. Rebooted to see how fast the reboot would be and then powered down to move the computer.

I moved it about 5 feet to where it would be staying for good, didn't bump it or anything. Tried to start it up and got a black screen with VGA light on and either code 40 or 24. Noticed one of my 4pin ATX connectors not in place so I put it in correctly. Still the same issue. Tried to boot with a Corsair 1000w and an RX 460 with no luck. VGA light was still on and no video output.

So I tried to clear the CMOS to reset the bios settings which brought me back to my original problem. An 0d code with VGA and boot lights on.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Error code 0d Indicates a Bios setting error, possible boot or VGA error. (Post cycle will not continue till rectified).
Code 24 is an indication that hand over to OS has occurred so not an error. Code 40 is system resumed from S4 sleep mode.
Also list the Part Number of your RAM kit.?
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Error code 0d Indicates a Bios setting error, possible boot or VGA error. (Post cycle will not continue till rectified).
Code 24 is an indication that hand over to OS has occurred so not an error. Code 40 is system resumed from S4 sleep mode.
Also list the Part Number of your RAM kit.?

Z4Z9556Q

What would you recommend to get past this second no-post?

Rolyat wrote:
Z4Z9556Q

What would you recommend to get past this second no-post?

Z4Z9556Q is not a G.Skill Part Number, so I can't identify.

To the right of the MB Start button are RESET button, SAFE_BOOT and RETRY_BUTTON.
SAFE_BOOT will bring you to Bios Safe mode. Used to re-configure Bios. You may need to change DRAM Primary Timings and voltage.
The RETRY button is used for Overclocking and only used when RESET has failed.

As you have both VGA and BOOT_LEDs lit then both these problems need to be investigated to identify the culprit.

Get your SPD values from CPUz in Windows or your Bios Tools menu when Bios is accessible.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Z4Z9556Q is not a G.Skill Part Number, so I can't identify.

To the right of the MB Start button are RESET button, SAFE_BOOT and RETRY_BUTTON.
SAFE_BOOT will bring you to Bios Safe mode. Used to re-configure Bios. You may need to change DRAM Primary Timings and voltage.
The RETRY button is used for Overclocking and only used when RESET has failed.

As you have both VGA and BOOT_LEDs lit then both these problems need to be investigated to identify the culprit.

Get your SPD values from CPUz in Windows or your Bios Tools menu when Bios is accessible.

Sorry the part number for my RAM kit is 4F-3000C15-8GTZR

I'll upload a photo of my RAM values in a minute.

edit: Not sure if this is what you're looking for but here you go