cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIXED ! Out of ideas. MB won't start, nothing works. HELP?

Brighttail
Level 11
Restarted my computer today and it suddenly would hang on POST. It would start to turn on and never even get to BIOS. All the lights are on with the RGB going through the standard default when the board is turned off, but quite literally none of the buttons seem to work or do anything. The motherboard will not start powering up at all. Here is what I have done:

- removed all power, turned off PSU, waited 15 minutes, turn on -> Nothing happens.
- Tried to change to the second BIOS -> The light won't change to the second BIOS when I hit the button. LIght is on but stays on BIOS 1
- ClR BIOS does turn all the lights off temporarily and they come back on, but noting happens after that. Can't turn this computer on
- Flash BIOS does nothing. Push the button and nothing happens.
- Removed 24-pin and 8 pin re pluged them in.. --> NOthing

I haven't tried to takeout the battery, that is under the armor and that armour is not easy to get off without taking the whole MB out.
I'm out of ideas.. help?

When I mean nothing happens. I can hit safeboot, mem_ok, power,reset, change BIOS buttons on MB and Nothing happens but all the lights are on.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop
8 REPLIES 8

Quozzo
Level 7
It sounds similar to my previous rig. I thought it was the RAM, CPU, MoBo... Turned out to be the PSU. Yours is Corsair so maybe not, but worth a try if you have a spare lying around.

Quozzo wrote:
It sounds similar to my previous rig. I thought it was the RAM, CPU, MoBo... Turned out to be the PSU. Yours is Corsair so maybe not, but worth a try if you have a spare lying around.

Yeah that was my next thing to do. In the end I reset the PSU and used another slot for the ATX 8 pin on the PSU and it came back up. It is a few years old might be worth looking at replacing it sometime.

Thanks,

FIXED
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

Beto556
Level 9
The new Corsair PSU models, when plugged into CorsairLink, you can determine the amperage for each output.

See this video:

Beto556 wrote:
The new Corsair PSU models, when plugged into CorsairLink, you can determine the amperage for each output.

See this video:

I have corsair link for this... I might have to plug it in to see what is going on. I haven't used it in a while.

FireRx
Level 11
3.3v leg of the PSU failure on the 24 pin. Check the voltage output on the 3.3v legs. If the PSU, check you warranty period and try to RMA if you can. I remember those doing that from time to time. Look at the socket on the 24pin for sooting on the pin sockets if you have a lighted magnifying glass. Good luck brother. I replace my PSU every 2 builds for this very reason. working or not. :cool:
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

FireRx wrote:
3.3v leg of the PSU failure on the 24 pin. Check the voltage output on the 3.3v legs. If the PSU, check you warranty period and try to RMA if you can. I remember those doing that from time to time. Look at the socket on the 24pin for sooting on the pin sockets if you have a lighted magnifying glass. Good luck brother. I replace my PSU every 2 builds for this very reason. working or not. :cool:

Everything is pulling fine from the PSU, I haven't retried that particular plug so I'm not sure if is a faulty plug. It could have been unseated or a wire that might have come loose and settled back into place when I plugged it into a new 8pin on the PSU. I have custom cables and more than once I have had wires come loose so if something like this crops up I usually give them all a good push.

In the past when nothing happens on the Motherboard it usually is indicative of an 8pin problem. My concern was that with the radiator I have the 8pin wires are very limited and come out sideways on the motherboard. I wanted to make sure they weren't crimped. On the front end they were fine, so I'm thinking that it was a simple cable issue in the back. Whether it is with the PSU or the cable I do not know. At this point I'm going to let it be and not mess with it.

I did check that idle it was pulling about 265Watts at 92% efficiency. Underload I got to almost 600watts with 92% efficiency. Can't complain with those number.

Thanks for the suggestions.

cekeu
Level 12
Let's be sure not to use thermal paste conducting electricity

FireRx
Level 11
oh wow, that right he deledded didn't he?
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory