cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS Unresponsive keyboard

TentaK
Level 7
About two weeks ago I had my GL502VS(K) sleeping and after I unplugged the hdmi display and usb peripherals and opened it up I found the keyboard to be completely unresponsive. It had been asleep for a couple of days and had been working perfectly before. I don't recall doing any updates previously but maybe it had one of those background windows 10 updates that messed things up.

The keyboard is unresponsive while booting and in BIOS too, no F keys work, so no backlight nor screen intensity or vol control; however the caps lock light does turn on for a second or so right after turning the machine on, and flashes for a bit just before the windows login screen shows up. When using a bluetooth or usb keyboard the caps lock light does turn on. Touchpad works fine. In the device manager the keyboard shows up as a PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-key); so it seems to be plugged and powered and I'm hoping its just a software problem. The shows up as Microsoft 21/6/2006 10.0.16299.15, but I don't know if that's right.

I tried:
Rebooting the computer.
Uninstalling from device manager.
Uninstalling and reinstalling ATK package (version 1.0.0050 for Windows).
Updating drivers
Resetting BIOS to defaults
Various windows 10 keyboard troubleshooting like checking the power settings, disabling fast boot, booting into safe mode...

So far no success.

What are ALL the drivers and software needed to manage the keyboard? Could there be some driver I'm missing? I've considered reinstalling windows but I'm concerned it might be useless and at the moment at least I can use the computer with another keyboard...

Anyone?
5 REPLIES 5

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Please take your product to our local service center for comprehensive inspection and help you to fix the problem. Sorry for the trouble.
The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/

Also you can contact the local service center for help. The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#

If it is customer induced damages, it might be have cost of repair.

My keyboard has also recently stopped working after I used the SMART workaround to install the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. My keyboards FN functions and ROG hotkey work but I can't type or use keys like caps lock. I tried using driverpack solution and device manager to update my drivers which lead to find out that a keyboard driver known as "ASUS Number Pad" was mostly likely the problem. I have tried updating this driver and installing manually as well but third party driver software can't install the driver and device manager just presents me with the error "Driver is not intended for this platform". I would send it to ASUS but I live in Turkey so that's not really an option. What steps should I take to fix this issue?

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Poolequery wrote:
My keyboard has also recently stopped working after I used the SMART workaround to install the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. My keyboards FN functions and ROG hotkey work but I can't type or use keys like caps lock....

Please refer to the following information and test again.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013060/#

Same problem here.

Had the W10 1709 - 2018-2 update about a week ago. Used the PC on/off a few times since. All worked fine. I went to use it yesterday and the only key that works is the power button. I plugged in another keyboard and I can function, but this portable laptop is a lot less portable now.

I called tech support and started a case. They started me on the path to do a recovery through windows and roll back some recent unknown update that the tech suspected caused the problem. Of course, the tech didn't complete the job. He gave a series of steps to follow then said to call back in an hour or so if it doesn't work. We value your business, but not enough to follow through to fix your problems....ASUS makes great equipment, but your doomed if you ever need tech support.

Oh, the steps did nothing. I see no point to calling back and continuing the case.

RippedTester170 wrote:
Same problem here.

Had the W10 1709 - 2018-2 update about a week ago. Used the PC on/off a few times since. All worked fine. I went to use it yesterday and the only key that works is the power button. I plugged in another keyboard and I can function, but this portable laptop is a lot less portable now.

I called tech support and started a case. They started me on the path to do a recovery through windows and roll back some recent unknown update that the tech suspected caused the problem. Of course, the tech didn't complete the job. He gave a series of steps to follow then said to call back in an hour or so if it doesn't work. We value your business, but not enough to follow through to fix your problems....ASUS makes great equipment, but your doomed if you ever need tech support.

Oh, the steps did nothing. I see no point to calling back and continuing the case.

I'd suggest followup and asking for a repair. I had an issue with my spacebar as well as having no video on startup (intermittently). I sent it to Asus and they replaced the keyboard and presumably fixed the startup issue, as it hasn't happened since.

I normally fix crap on my own, but the keyboard was physically, since purchase, unfit for use.

Assuming that you're still under warranty, you'll only incur a shipping cost.