cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great (I really mean it) hardware company but amateurs software-wise

djhifi
Level 7
This is a rambling, alright, but driven from my frustration on AISuite lack of proper dedication from the ASUS software """engineers""" and also because simply I'm entitled to it (and I'm setting aside all the BSOD's this company's software has caused me these last years).

The latest Suite beta crashes on my PC. The latest stable one (3.00.13), is blanked out (as in: nothing is visible) like this other user already posted --> https://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=70612&d=1516086474
Altough BOTH aren't even on my MOBO (X99-A II) page! Oh, and did I mean that the one on my MOBO page is also riddled with bugs?

Nice joke, eh Asus? ****ing AMATEURS.

Let me start by saying that I'm also an investor (As in: I hold ASUS stocks!) but on to the AI Suite3 frustration (not only limited to that app):

The simple fact that the ****ing app doesn't even have a unified page is pretty much self-explanatory. Right now that app (and all others) are just awful. A complete, utter mess.

AISuite3 has different versions spread across countless MOBOs with some working on other boards as well (and the other way around).
I've even seen users downloading dif. versions and "compiling" them together to suit their boards.

Gosh, what is this? Acceptable costumer service? Good quality control staff?

You bunch of ****ing AMATEURS!

Not to mention software bugs by the ton on AISuite3 itself but also GPU Tweak II (which doesn't even allow you to backup profiles before updating). And updating itself is also a manual task, ALTOUGH THERE's a "check firmware" button!

EZ Update? Another useless feature. "No need to update the environ" (since 2016) --> L-O-L. Wtf is this? AMATEURS!

The only thing that seems fixed (for now, ofc, you never know with ASUS...been there, happened that) is AURA. But we all know the bumpy road that's been happening on that app as well (and still exists for some users).

Ultimately, they have a GREAT hardware pipeline but software-wise they are worse than amateurs. Both my dogs would do better!

It almost looks like they're a segmented and non-communicating company. Hardware team and all staff (including directors) are top-notch and the software team (+the respective quality control) are like a bunch of head-scratching baboons being paid cheap. It baffles me for days!!

I really never understood. I've been their costumer for YEARS now, even buying high-end products (1080ti, PG348Q monitor, etc) and this was always a thing on them. A complete lack of working software and also a very doubtful software "organization" method, team AND, above all, a complete absence of Quality Control staff on the Software. Such a huge shame.

This has been draggin itself for ages now which only leaves me to chose from one out of two logical conclusions: They either don't give a legit **** about software-side or they think it's enough to hire software engineers from costco and random kindergartens, hence cutting some budget costs to show-off at all their Earnings Reports.

Such a shameful flaw on a prestigious company...
If more investors were actually long-term costumers like I am, your stock wouldn't be trading at the actual levels. NOPE.

Shame on you ASUS software-team and whoever leads it.
8 REPLIES 8

MxFragz
Level 7
Exactly what it is. Outstanding hardware, but very poor, unacceptable software that go with it.

As someone who's been a software developer in a multinational company, my take on this is that those softwares (AURA, AI Suite, etc...) are developed somewhere like in India, where developers are paid garbage, so they do a garbage job.
In some "third world" countries, developers are a thing, but the labor cost is crazy cheap compared to US or Europe. They cut on budget on this end, but the result they get from it is awful, obviously.

What I fail to understand though, is that at some point in the process, when they get that code back from wherever it is developed, there are a few guys in charge of quality control, and those ass hats are like : "yeah, that looks like an acceptable software to me".

Unbelievable.
Been a huge fan of Asus for years, as of today, I don't even recommend their products, and I'll surely won't buy any anytime soon.

MxFragz wrote:
Exactly what it is. Outstanding hardware, but very poor, unacceptable software that go with it.

As someone who's been a software developer in a multinational company, my take on this is that those softwares (AURA, AI Suite, etc...) are developed somewhere like in India, where developers are paid garbage, so they do a garbage job.
In some "third world" countries, developers are a thing, but the labor cost is crazy cheap compared to US or Europe. They cut on budget on this end, but the result they get from it is awful, obviously.

What I fail to understand though, is that at some point in the process, when they get that code back from wherever it is developed, there are a few guys in charge of quality control, and those ass hats are like : "yeah, that looks like an acceptable software to me".

Unbelievable.
Been a huge fan of Asus for years, as of today, I don't even recommend their products, and I'll surely won't buy any anytime soon.

Except the fact that I would still recommend their HARDWARE (BOLD and UNDERLINE here) I wouldn't change anything else of your sayings. Amazing answer and also my thoughts. It's sad. Specially because it's not something that's been happening for a couple of months. Nope, I never knew it otherwise. It's just sad. Won't say anything else cause it's at plain sight.

The quality control also confuses me. I mean, who in their sane state of mind would approve all this garbage? It's safe to rumour about the fact that they may not even have one at the software side of things!

What EVEN confuses me the most is that their BIOS software is actually amazing. But regarding ALL the Windows 10 apps boy oh boy...forget it. Trash team.

They seem like a segmented and non-comunicating company. Great hardware, trashy software. Good CQ on hardware, non-existent (or ran by dickheads) CQ on the software, etc, etc.

It's doubtful and shady if you tell me (I'm talking as an investor here).

What saves this company is the great ER's they come up with almost every Q, the amount of partnerships, a somewhat prestiege and jack of all trades image hardware-wise, among other things.

But brother, If I had you, offering me software for a price and ASUS, cost-free, I would chose yours ANYTIME. It's how much I'm fed up!
I mean there's even a 3rd party AIsuite3 cleaner to remove all the trash the "uninstall" fails to remove. Epic fail after epic fail.

But oh well...I have given up bashing them software-wise. It's a hopeless endeavour for us right now. They will wake up one day, probably. Until then well...I will continue with buggy software. Latest AISuite3 version doesnt even have options visible. Just a blank screen. At least on me.

It has reached a point of being funny. Amateurish, ofc, but funny. **** you ASUS

If more investors knew their poor software team and apps, the stock would be affected. (just saying this out of pure curiosity because i'm also shareholder at ASUS).

Ultimately, they have a huge revenue. It baffles me why they would chose to hire baboons rather than humans, to run the software team.

PS: MxFragz, AISuite3 latest version is like this on my pc (print is not mine but it's EXACTLY the same): https://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=70612&d=1516086474
Great Job ASUS ass hats!

Agree with all of the above. Their communications about these issues is also severely lacking. Their amature approach to Windows software is baffling. It’s amzing they can’t find competent software people at ASUS.*

I’m planning a new build and not sure if I want to risk using ASUS products with their continually bad software anymore. *

WowMags wrote:
Agree with all of the above. Their communications about these issues is also severely lacking. Their amature approach to Windows software is baffling. It’s amzing they can’t find competent software people at ASUS.*

I’m planning a new build and not sure if I want to risk using ASUS products with their continually bad software anymore. *

I agree. Ultimately, as this seems to be dragging itself for years now, they will start losing potential costumers. Won't be a direct hit on their revenue because newcomers are totally unaware of how much of an amateur approach ASUS has to their own software.

It's just SAD. SAD is the word I always think of now.

Best of luck to you mate. I fully understand your decision.

cekeu
Level 12
If Asus stops promoting the 5 way optimization on the card marketing presentation and removes the following utilities it'll be fine.
How many users who not have time to spend hours searching the net for discussions to find out what is causing the instability of their system and They end up with a conflicting computer and lose money begging IT professionals to repair their machine or each time they will reset Windows and reinstall each time the killer utility.

cekeu wrote:
If Asus stops promoting the 5 way optimization on the card marketing presentation and removes the following utilities it'll be fine.
How many users who not have time to spend hours searching the net for discussions to find out what is causing the instability of their system and They end up with a conflicting computer and lose money begging IT professionals to repair their machine or each time they will reset Windows and reinstall each time the killer utility.

Its not only DIP. Its all their software. Bug riddled and flawed to the bone.

namoi
Level 8
What have been said is probably true.

They have delocalized their software department and loose control on it.

No extended QC is probably made so softwares doesn't work with each others for one stand (Armoury and Aura amongst others) and on the other hand even basic uses of a single soft is crippled as soon as you expose it to real life usage because of unforseen, not tested, incompabilties...

namoi wrote:
What have been said is probably true.

They have delocalized their software department and loose control on it.

No extended QC is probably made so softwares doesn't work with each others for one stand (Armoury and Aura amongst others) and on the other hand even basic uses of a single soft is crippled as soon as you expose it to real life usage because of unforseen, not tested, incompabilties...

Did they? (delocalize) ? Shameful...