cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to have NVMe Drives as separate letters/drives without Raid?

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Is it possible to have two NVMe SSD drives in the G752 but as separate drives without Raid? Like have one stick as C drive, the other as D, and the mechanical as my other data drive?

I think NVMe is fast enough and I'd rather not risk getting fiddly with RAID, and would prefer two separate disks.

Can I do this? Can I just plug it in? (I think I need to get some thermal tape.. )
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes you can, they are no different that SATA drives just different format, have your OS on one and important data or games on the 2nd. You can do this in RAID mode or AHCI mode
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Darnassus
Status Under Review
What do I do? Just plug it in and it'll show up? :f

Darnassus wrote:
What do I do? Just plug it in and it'll show up? :f

Plug it in and use disk manager to initialize and format giving it a driver letter or choose you own

If you have a Optical drive I would change its drive letter to some thing other than D, E or F I usually use M or N for optical

you 1 TB spinner is probable using D So you might wan to change its letter to E or F, that should leave D open for windows to name your new SSD D

The only Issue with M.2 NVME is the Original OS, which coming from Asus factor is in RAID mode so that once the OS is install The raid driver is installed so your 2nd SSD will all ready have a driver loaded.

Then If you actually did the Clean install you probable changed The SATA Setting to AHCI and then the Native windows NVME driver will all ready be loaded. Either way you should have a driver already running for it.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Darnassus
Status Under Review
So just plug it in and enable it through Disk Manager.. since the IRST is already in? Huh.. I thought the IRST has to go on each individual drive. That's nice to know.

Drive Lettering I'm 100% familiar with. No problem there.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Hold on I remember someone saying there's a max to how much these Laptops can address..

Is it they can only take up to 512GB total? Or they can take 2x512GB sticks?

Darnassus wrote:
Hold on I remember someone saying there's a max to how much these Laptops can address..

Is it they can only take up to 512GB total? Or they can take 2x512GB sticks?

Last I looked, the largest available are 2 TB SSD NVME M.2 you have 2 slots so you could have a total of 4TB if you desire. We are now dealing with UEFI with no limit to total storage other than your wallet. We are no longer dealing with MBR Which did limit us to 2 TB for a OS Drive.
We are no longer daling with he SATA controller with M.2 PCIe Bus With the only limitation is maximum speed for which we are approaching with the latest SSD running at 3000 Gbs Here is a better explanation of PCIe
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro