cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Cpu Temps routinely reaching 90-96 degrees

bentrahern
Level 7
Hi there I have had my G751JY laptop with the higher end CPU model, the Intel Core i7-4860HQ model. While idle my temperatures of all 4 cpu cores are around 45 to 50 degrees. However when playing more demanding recent titles such as total war warhammer, nioh and the new doom for example my cpu temps skyrocket to the 90s , mainyl staying around high 80s but spiking to 90s very frequently. Is this normal?

I have undervolted as well to try and stop this but to no avail.

Anyone had the same issue?
My 980m gpu reaches the 70 and 80 mark usually but nothing close to 90

Cheers
thanks all in advance
26 REPLIES 26

Darnassus
Status Under Review
When did you buy the notebook? ;U

Darnassus wrote:
When did you buy the notebook? ;U

Hi there I bought the laptop in early 2016 🙂

Kliszczak
Level 7
Hello i Have this same problem but. I change thermalpaste Grizzly Kryonaut on procesor and GPU. I take Thermopads Gelid GC-Extreme 0.5mm on GPU mem and power phase. On GPU i have max temps 74-76C playing Witcher 3 on Ultra or BattleFront 2. But Cpu temps are 88-92C. Some times are CPU temps are unstable. In one sec i have 84C next second 91C. Where is problem ?
Asus G751JY 32GB Ram 1x128GB SSD Crucial 1x128 GB m2 1x 1TB HDD

JustinThyme
Level 13
This machine is known for running hot even when new.
First thing to consider is a good cleaning by blowing out the heat sinks with a decent small compressor. The canned air doesnt have enough umph. Just dont go batsh!t crazy with the pressure. Blow it out in reverse as in from the outlets in. If that doesnt make it acceptable then a disassembly and repaste of thermal conduction points is in order and many threads and videos on how to go about it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Kliszczak
Level 7
Yesterday i take new paste and thermpal pads. On GPU this help old temps around 85-88C now max 74-76C but on cpu dont help. Maybe i must take more pase on CPu to better contact ? Heatsinks totaly clean. I clean the fans 20 min from dust. It look like a new 🙂

Kliszczak wrote:
Yesterday i take new paste and thermpal pads. On GPU this help old temps around 85-88C now max 74-76C but on cpu dont help. Maybe i must take more pase on CPu to better contact ? Heatsinks totaly clean. I clean the fans 20 min from dust. It look like a new 🙂

Thanks for the reply, I have not done the new thermal pasting as yet but will look into it. So is it normal for this laptops cpu to routinely go into the 90s on demanding applications?

Would a laptop cooling pad help?
Cheers

Kliszczak
Level 7
Take good thermal paste and Thermopads in your country maybe you can buy Fuji Polly 50X-m 0.5mm 17W/mK*2.

Kliszczak
Level 7
Now i take -0.60mv on cache and core voltage 🙂 Temps go down. I take Stripes on pherase section not clippings How I did it before. And Temps CPU are 82 max 🙂

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I repasted my G752VS.

Playing 'The Forest' it'd run a solid 84-86*C. Now it runs at 70-73*C on GPU. Can't remember CPU but that fell like 15*C too.

So, depending when you bought it, chances are it has been sitting in a box and the paste was drying up before it even got a good using. If you've got the sack for it, give it a repaste, or get a tech to do it for you.

Otherwise, as long as it doesn't hit 90*C+ then it should be alright. I believe 100*C is when it'd throttle.