cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Extreme PCH temps? What is safe?

Sprayingmango
Level 10
I've noticed that on Idle my RVIE PCH temps sit around 58 - 60*C. Is this normal and safe? When I start gaming my two STRIX 1080Ti cards are blowing a lot of hot air around and I've seen the PCH go up to 67*C. Wondering if all of that fancy light up plastic they put on the board is holding in too much heat? My X99 RVE10 didn't get this hot..
5 REPLIES 5

Raja
Level 13
Those temps are perfectly normal.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Those temps are perfectly normal.

Thanks for confirming that sort of PCH temp is normal?? Ive just got the rampage vi extreme omega with 2x m.2 disks under the coaling and i started to see that my primary m.2 a Samsung 970 pro was showing a yellow warning for high temps in Crystal disk info. I thought that the 2x m.2 disk would run cool seeing as they each have a heat pad under the aluminium coaling. Anyway this was the only info i could find via google searches, so again thanks for the info.

Sprayingmango
Level 10
Thank you Raja!

Vlada011
Level 10
If heatsink is hot that mean connection is good.
If you decide to change paste on PCH clean nice him with cotton swabs and Arctic Cleaner.
EK advice for using thermal pad for PCH. I believe that's smart idea and for default cooler, at least 0.5mm if not 1mm it's better.

This is how I Installed thermal pad before block. But I believe that's good choice for any cooler.
Some motherboards have sponge to protect PCH from heatsink. That's sensitive like die on processor and should be careful.

When I removed PCH Heatsink below was some huge thickness of rubberized thermal paste.
I need several minut with cotton swab and actic cleaner to dissolve such rubberized paste. And than I installed MX-4 and thermal pad 1mm over and Monoblock. I just had enough thermal pad rest from VRM. With bigger peace I would cover everything from corner to corner, that would be better.

My PCH go 55-58C on RVE10 when I play games or Benchmark processor.
If Power is on Balanced Mode mostly time is below 50C, now is 47C example.

But X299 is something completely different. VRM is hotter, PCH is hotter, CPU with up to 18 cores.
Monoblock is recommended for X299.

Vlada011
Level 10
If your heatsink is very hot on touch then I believe you can't fix except maybe 3-4C in best scenario.
Up to 80C is safe for PCH.

One of most interesting part with hardware for me is installing blocks on motherboards or cleaning PCB from dust.
But only on high end motherboards... I really enjoy in that.